• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Pirelli angel gt a spec now front end wobble at 40-42 mph on decel

roy826

Moped
I’ve probably Mounted 1000s of tires in my life. Not new at this. I have checked and rechecked the balance which is spot on. Only 2 1/4 oz needed and red dot is at valve stem. Tire has no visible out of round ness visually. Axle and torque sequence per service manual done more than onece. Cold psi 42. I did switch to the 55 rear profile if that helps any.

So do I have a bad new tire? It wasn’t wobbling with the 6700 mile cupped worn out Michelin PR3 on it. Kinda pissed about this, first ever Pirelli tire and it might be my last. Pirelli rep at the track has been courting me the past 5 years to get off the Michelins I race on. I can’t wait to tell him this non racing tire story of his brand.  :mad:

Bought them online at RMATV so I’ll call them Monday and see where we go from here. They’ve been good to me in the past On dirtbike stuff I’ve ordered that was a dud.

Never had a problem with Angels. Must be a bad tire. Don't be discouraged. They outperform PR's completely!

Hey gsun - I've put on two rear Pirelli Angle 190/55 ZR17 's and have only good experiences.  My only criticism is getting the beads to seat, not from leakage through, but from just not seating.  My last rear tire change, I had to try 3 or 4 times to seat the beads and it took having to go up to 50 psig before they seated.  Other tires I've installed (and I've only got a couple sets under my belt thus far) the new tire beads popped on with only 10 to 20 psig pressure.  Other than that I've really liked their tread design, easy to see their minimum  tread wear indicators and they wear pretty well. 

The wobble you described when decelerating at 40 mph seems more like a mechanical issue rather than tire related.  I'd see if you have a loose steering column or perhaps check out the column bearings for excessive wear?

I've had steering wobble on Triumph 900, came to find out head bearings were a bit loose. After making it gutentight, all was well. 
I've considered Angels as well. After conversing with people who have ridden plethora of Angels and other performance oriented tires on heavy ST bikes, I've come to conclusion Angels are being hyped up quiet a lot. I am no insinuating Angels are bad tires, just hyperbolized by many.

My tuppence...

I would say the steering bearings too but it was not doing it with the Michelin that come off it. Tested the side to side of steering bearings and it felt fine from a stand point not sure I would need to add any more torque there. Bike just rolled over 12k miles and I don’t do wheelies on it lol

Still leaning towards a bad tire that visually can’t be seen but the bikes certainly finding it. Very frustrating.

Hi,
      Admittedly, this is not the largest Moto Forum on the Internet, but....

There are quite a few Angel GT fans here and I have really heard nothing but glowing reports on them....

Even by people that thought there was a better tire elsewhere?

It IS possible though, it is the tire?

One would have to wonder also, if something happened during the change out? (tweeked rim, bearings, ect.)

A pain I know, good luck!

Attachments

• tumblr_owm9tsyvbW1qjwc29o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_owm9tsyvbW1qjwc29o1_1280.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 96
Nope install was easy, I have had a no mar changer for 10 years. Had an extra set of hands helping this go around to make sure not to damage TPMS. Tire went on easy and inflated easy enough.  Nothing was out of the ordinary on install or reinstall. I’ve redone the install procedure 3 times per manual. Like I said it wasn’t doing this with a worn Michelin that had flung a wheel weight during RWTW COG rally and it was cupped out badly by the time I rode the 500 miles home. Once home I removed the front wheel and balanced it. Tire rolled another 1500 miles like that and it never wobbled.

Add a new tire and I get the wobble. I’m convinced it’s the tire for what ever reason. Tire looks perfectly smooth spinning on my balancer stand or on the bike. No visible anything out of the ordinary. As far as the tires feeling while riding yes they feel way better than the Michelins did on day one new. But that is all negated by a poorly made front tire that’s a wobble case at 42 mph.

Rule out steering stem bearing torque. I just checked it and it’s spot on good. Even tightened a little tighter and test rode just to see. It was the same so I went back to a correct torque. Yep still there.

I’ll be the lone disenter. I’ve had three Angle front
tires and they all exhibited a decel wobble.
The T-30 GT front I have on now does not.
Neither did the Z6, BT-021, BT-023 GT or the PR2.
Only the Angels, from day one.

Just sounds like a bad tire to me. I've only had 4 sets of Angels out of 30 something sets on my C14, but I never had that problem myself.

You ride hard enough & enough, they want be on there long  :??:?

I'm done with them myself.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Do they make a 'road force' tire balancer? 
That would be the only way to tell if the tire is defective beside replacing it.

I tend to run my front tire 2 psi above sidewall spec - so 44psi cold. 
My tires are Avon Storm 3's, but it would be worth trying on your brand for a day's ride.

Red Fox said:
I tend to run my front tire 2 psi above sidewall spec - so 44psi cold. 
My tires are Avon Storm 3's, but it would be worth trying on your brand for a day's ride.

I will give that a try later today. Sidewalls are very stiff on the A spec Pirelli.