• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Planning for Alaska

The Doctor

Hey all!

I have an upcoming work trip in Anchorage Alaska, this June 16-18 (2023). I figured I could fly up.... but what might be more fun is riding up. Especially since travel expenses would then be tax deductible šŸ˜ I have a good friend who's up in Seattle, and I've done the Vegas to Seattle trip before. But my real question is about the road from Seattle to Anchorage.

A quick Google Maps input has me going straight north from Seattle to the Canadian Highway 1, to the 97. Google has be going on a few different highways then (CA 16, the 37, the 1 etc.). After reading around online I found a motorcycle tour company that takes the 97 all the way up to Dawson Creek. It seems like it's abit over 100 miles longer that way, but only takes about an extra hour. I'm wondering the merits of that and if there's something I'm missing.

For context - I'm a princess. While I can manage it, I prefer to stick to asphalt (I've read about the construction that goes on in Alaskan summers, so recognize that might not be an option), and would prefer a better paved road, especially one that has other road traffic (I don't relish the idea of breaking down in the wilderness and being stranded for days). Although I am fine with putting a good chunk of miles behind me in one solid slog - two time Iron Butter. I'm also planning on bring a small tent and/or hammock to camp if needed.

Any recommendations on roads, or any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. I recognize that I don't know what I don't know - so if there are questions that I should be asking please let me know.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-17 3.25.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-17 3.25.49 PM.png
    589 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2023-04-17 3.25.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-17 3.25.10 PM.png
    601.1 KB · Views: 52
I've never made the trip, but ,,,
Road construction is done during the summer and it rains a lot.
I've heard horror stories about the roads due to the construction and rain.

Hey all!

I have an upcoming work trip in Anchorage Alaska, this June 16-18 (2023). I figured I could fly up.... but what might be more fun is riding up. Especially since travel expenses would then be tax deductible šŸ˜ I have a good friend who's up in Seattle, and I've done the Vegas to Seattle trip before. But my real question is about the road from Seattle to Anchorage.

A quick Google Maps input has me going straight north from Seattle to the Canadian Highway 1, to the 97. Google has be going on a few different highways then (CA 16, the 37, the 1 etc.). After reading around online I found a motorcycle tour company that takes the 97 all the way up to Dawson Creek. It seems like it's abit over 100 miles longer that way, but only takes about an extra hour. I'm wondering the merits of that and if there's something I'm missing.

For context - I'm a princess. While I can manage it, I prefer to stick to asphalt (I've read about the construction that goes on in Alaskan summers, so recognize that might not be an option), and would prefer a better paved road, especially one that has other road traffic (I don't relish the idea of breaking down in the wilderness and being stranded for days). Although I am fine with putting a good chunk of miles behind me in one solid slog - two time Iron Butter. I'm also planning on bring a small tent and/or hammock to camp if needed.

Any recommendations on roads, or any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. I recognize that I don't know what I don't know - so if there are questions that I should be asking please let me know.
You can look into taking a ferry from Washington coast area straight to Alaska and save miles on the bike and then ride around Alkaska, then ferry back. No bad roads or stranded for days if a break down.

You can look into taking a ferry from Washington coast area straight to Alaska and save miles on the bike and then ride around Alkaska, then ferry back. No bad roads or stranded for days if a break down.
Appreciate the thought. I'm from the desert so never even considered that whole boat thing. I just looked into it. Bellingham (the port in Washington) only really sails to the southern and westmost parts of Alaska. I'd still have to ride 1,000 miles after getting off the ferry in Haines. And they only sail on Fridays, so I'd need to twiddle my thumbs for a week. Oh. And it costs north of $1,400 one way :eek:

I say ride, I have made the trip! The road construction can be rough/slick especially when following behind a water truck. Flaggers always flagged me to the front of the line at construction stops. Just because a road name has the word highway in it doesn't mean it's paved, Top of The World, Campbell & Denali Highway are all unpaved despite being called highways. You can ride 200 miles & not even see a power pole, nothing but forest. I camped 16 of 20 nights, couple times just pulled off in the woods. I wouldn't be concerned about camping, just use common sense.

I say ride, I have made the trip! The road construction can be rough/slick especially when following behind a water truck. Flaggers always flagged me to the front of the line at construction stops. Just because a road name has the word highway in it doesn't mean it's paved, Top of The World, Campbell & Denali Highway are all unpaved despite being called highways. You can ride 200 miles & not even see a power pole, nothing but forest. I camped 16 of 20 nights, couple times just pulled off in the woods. I wouldn't be concerned about camping, just use common sense.
Hey Cliff! Thank you so much for your response. I wasn't planning on hitting up the Top of The World, Campbell, or Denali highways. As boring as it sounds this trip will just be to get to Anchorage and back. What route did you take up?

As boring as it sounds this trip will just be to get to Anchorage and back. What route did you take up?

I don't remember the exact route. The basics are, camped at Glacier then headed up through Canada & on to Yukon Territory. On to Denali then Fairbanks, back down to British Columbia, Back into AK to Hyder & then returned BC, on to WA, back home to AR.