• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PNW riders chime in please

RoadKillHeaven

PNW riders, the wet season is nearly upon us. I would like to get a picture of what tires every all-season rider uses on their C14.
Please include Brand and Model and average milage on a set of tires.

Cheers...

Ever since I got the bike in 2012, after the original OEM's came off, I've been running Pilot Road 3's and now Pilot Road 4's.  I usually get about 10K out of a set.  I only weigh 155lbs soaking wet and I seldom have much additional weight on the bike.

:))
RoadKillHeaven said:
PNW riders, the wet season is nearly upon us. I would like to get a picture of what tires every all-season rider uses on their C14.
Please include Brand and Model and average milage on a set of tires.

Cheers...

I posted on another thread regarding similar.  I spoke to several of our motor officers regarding tires.  They use three types.  Dunlop Roadsmart 2 and 3 and the Mich road pilot 4's.  They prefer the Dunlops stating they perform better in wet conditions.  Chaparral Motorsports has Dunlop 2's on sale for $182 for the set for Concours 14.  A set of the 3's will run about $312.  Free shipping.  Chaparral is out her in Southern Ca and usually gas pretty good prices on tires.

Avon 3DXm's, the last 3 sets. Hated the PR4's. Angel GT's last me 3K miles and the front is toast. Have a new set of the Road Smart 3's getting ready to mount. Wet riding...I am always on my KLR that is for commuting to work every day.

The new metzlers get good reviews. After the RS 3's are done I will try the Metzelers but I am not a fan of all the front tire siping. Same with the PR4's, took them off at 4K miles and will never buy another set.

I think any ST tire you choose will be fine. I would review each tire on you tube and see which one is better in the wet.

Like gpd323 above, Avon Storm 3 xm are my choice for last 5ish sets; I'm a fair weather rider and my wet days are either accidents or necessity.
Mileage runs 7 to maybe 8k, but lately I change earlier because new tire sets feel good.

I'm on my 2nd set of PR4s and love them. I got 10.4 K miles on the last ones when the
tread reached the recommended depth (height?). They took me down from the OR Blue Mountain summit
as temps reached 32F in rain, hail, and snow.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 just put on 5th front tire. Great grip wet or dry. Mileage is about 8,000 to 9,000 front 5,000 to 6,000 rear about 350.00 a set if you shop around.

Angel GT A-specs, usually 8k to 10k miles at 42psi cold. Mostly weekend long rides and occasional fairweather commutes.

I know I'm gonna take heat for this, but I'm running Metzeler Sportec M7 RRs and couldn't be happier with wet performance after some serious use. Rear has about 7k on it, its just about done... but the front has at least another 3k left and I did 5k of the 7 on the rear pulling a trailer.  Its sticky in all conditions. Love it.

Hi Roadkill;
I run the Pirelli Angel GT spec A tires.  My first set got replaced after 4,000 miles due to a large screw I picked up in the rear tire, after plugging it several times and the plug leaking, I decided to replace both front & rear tires.  They still had over 50% tread left.  I liked the Angel GT's so much that a second set was installed.  The recent set has 5,500 miles on them, and should be able to go another 3K or more.  Handling on the Angel GT's is awesome, I have confidence in turns and these tires transform the bike.  Performance on wet roads is terrific too.

If you are near Kirkland WA, I recommend Andrew's Mechanical to mount the tires.  He's less than half the cost of a dealer shop.  You can order tires on-line and have them delivered to his shop.  Make an appointment and he replaces both front & rear in about 45 minutes.
www.andrewsmechanic.com

I've been running PR3s and plan to go with the PR4s next when it comes time (which is near.) I've personally always liked the Pilot series of tires so I have no idea how other brands would be.

P.S. seeing how many PNW guys are on here I think a meet should be arranged sometime! There could be one already arranged and I'm just oblivious to it.

I'm in for a meet. Just paid up my COG membership today!. I have PR4's but not enough mileage on them to have an opinion.