• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Poorboy Pull Backs

J

j mullins

I use this when I am running the slab and need to stretch my legs and find a new riding position.  This gives my hands, back, arms and neck a rest and allows me a relaxing break from the normal riding position.  This allows me to steer the bike using bar pressure to maintain control of the bike.  I would not recommend doing this in a congested area, but out in the wide open spaces, it can be a very refreshing change.  It allows you to cool the lower part of your body  by getting away from some of the engine heat. 

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 173
I saw something like this several years ago and came up with a similar solution - using retractors to pull them back out of the way when not in use.

I use lanyards looped around the ends of the grips, the other end tied to small retractors (think mini-retractable- key ring) near the handlebar mounts.  They are on my C10 all the time.  My C10 doesn't have any 45-50 mph front end wobble issues.

Yes, they're safe, at least for me.  I only use them in certain places with light to no traffic, straight away cruising, excellent visibility, etc.  These are the times where I used to sit back with no hands on bars at all to change position for a while, giving my back and arthritic neck a different postion and some relief.

IMO its as safe than the one handed / no handed approach which most everybody does at one time or another to change gloves, adjust a mirror, eat some trail mix, take a drink, etc.  I don't use them in traffic, to weave through debris, or run some twisties.  If I need to grab the bars, I just let go of the lanyards which retract out of the way on their own and grab the bars.

These things really help me extend the time before I have to get off the bike for a rest.  Its very easy to keep the bike on line with a small amount of pull on one side or the other, in keeping with counter steering principles.

I call them RPIE's - Retractable Pilot Input Extenders.

Pertinant facts, disclaimers, addendums:

- I've made sure they do not get in they way of the grips or tankbag or anything else at any point of the lock to lock turning range, whether in use or retracted.

- They are for use on a closed course only, by professional riders.

- Do not use on heavy machinery or while sleeping.

- Please consult with your doctor to see if you are healthy enough to use RPIE's and to discuss if RPIE's are for you.

- During use of RPIE's, you should refrain from making any important decisions or doing anything requiring concentraction, alertness or physical effort of any kind.

- Children under 12 and pregnant men should not use RPEI's.

- Side effects may include unexpected and sudden bowel movements and / or the inability to control them, sudden inability of bladder control, sleeplessness, sleepiness, irritability, slurred speeach, blurred vision, dizzy spells, kidney, liver and spleen damage, and all sorts of other maladies that should cause you to think twice about even considering this.

- Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of the above symptoms or any other embarrassing conditions lasting 4 to 6 hours.

I think I will call mine Gyro Stabilizers.  Do you think a LEO would buy it. :-\

Cap'n Bob,  are you refereeing to Pull Backs, or Willy P driving without hands on the bars?    I am still in the test mode with this.  Out of the 50 plus years I have been riding I have only used these for about 30 years.  And I have not had to say Whoa, there, big fella not one time. :)

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 103
I don't see any problem with these is reasonable care is taken. I assumeyou have a cruise control or a throttle stop.
I think they are far better than riding with no hands because of the posibilty of the dreaded Connie head shake. His idea should add that tiny bit of stability needed to prevent the shake..

I have a simple throttle lock and do the one handed procedure myself.

Ride safe, Ted

Another idea along this line that I have tried a few times to relieve back pain.  This will make you roll your eyes.  Try putting your hands down on the fearing just below the glove boxes and steer with your forearm/elbows. 

Once you enjoy that feeling then try reaching across and try driving with the wrong hand on the opposite side of the bars.  That is a real scary.  DNTTAH YRMV  JK... If you do this do not tell the medic or the lawyer I told you to.

connie_rider said:
I have a simple throttle lock and do the one handed procedure myself.
Ride safe, Ted

Arghhh Mettler,,,
I just realized whut I sed.....  blush,,,,

So, I'll ellaborate.....

(I have a simple throttle lock and do the one handed procedure myself.)
But this gets tiring pretty quickly and my back begins to hurt.
So,,, To relieve the stress,,,, I CHANGE HANDS periodically....  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

On a long ride I ride one handed at times. Gives you hands time to relax. But to tie 2 strings to my grips and drive it like a bobsled. No way!! :32:

Does anyone have this 'head shake' thing? If so it is easy to fix.
I pass on the 'pull back'. I like gadgets but I sure dont like the looks of this one.
Thank you for show me though.

And I have not had to say Whoa, there, big fella not one time

Ditto. 

Its not at all how some of the poster's seem to think it is, and yields more secure control than a one handed approach IMO.

But to each his own and as always: YMMV.

Are there parachutes attached to those rip cords?  :-\    Might work for you but they are ccertainly not for me.

smithr-scad said:
try reaching across and try driving with the wrong hand on the opposite side of the bars.  That is a real scary.

Not scary. I've done it for years.  Freaks out the girlfriend each time.  I don't have a throttle lock (yet) and this allows me to rest my right hand some.  I usually only do it for a minute or so, then back to normal.    I've done this on dirt bikes and many street bikes for the past xx years (read: 20)

Zorlac , good to here from you,  If you look close you will find this is Suitable for ages 6 and older. That takes me out of the picture.  I think we are riding with a bunch of PUP'S^-^

2 posts, and the suggestion of riding a machine down the road holding onto strings......
yeah, Zorlac may be from outer space, but he ain't calling in from Uranus  :))

Rich, when are you going to mellow out?.  you hard ass. ;)  PS I would have a beer with you. ;)

JDM said:
Rich, when are you going to mellow out?.  you hard ass. ;)  PS I would have a beer with you. ;)

:rotflmao:
just messin with ya man, it was a good excuse to use the word Uranus....heheheheheh

But seriously, Zorlac is from another planet, he told me so himself.... :rotflmao:  :beerchug:

MAN OF BLUES said:
But seriously, Zorlac is from another planet, he told me so himself.... :rotflmao:  :beerchug:
Yep, planet Claire.  :eek:

She came from Planet Claire
I knew she came from there
She drove a Plymouth Satellite
Faster than the speed of light

Planet Claire has pink air
All the trees are red
No one ever dies there
No one has a head

Is planet Claire where they have Rock Lobsters??  If so ... if you can get me there, I could catch some for you!!

Can you get there by B-52??

smithr-scad said:
Another idea along this line that I have tried a few times to relieve back pain.  This will make you roll your eyes.  Try putting your hands down on the fearing just below the glove boxes and steer with your forearm/elbows. 

Once you enjoy that feeling then try reaching across and try driving with the wrong hand on the opposite side of the bars.  That is a real scary.  DNTTAH YRMV  JK... If you do this do not tell the medic or the lawyer I told you to.
I have never done that, but I have rested my elbows on the bar end weights.  You can rest your hand on the dash.  It kinda looks like you are praying.  This works fantastic with electronic cruise, it works ok with the cramp buster but you can change speed very quickly with the later.

ZGR1000 said:
Would have been more impressive if he was also doing a wheelie.... :))
haha, that would be impressive.
Also, after you let the strings go  the bike talks back to you.
What happens if you suddenly swat at a bee or wave to another biker and you forget you have strings , do you turn quick?

Daytona_Mike said:
ZGR1000 said:
Would have been more impressive if he was also doing a wheelie.... :))
haha, that would be impressive.
Also, after you let the strings go  the bike talks back to you.
What happens if you suddenly swat at a bee or wave to another biker and you forget you have strings , do you fall over quick?

Fixed...

What happens if you suddenly swat at a bee or wave to another biker and you forget you have strings , do you fall over quick?

Really?  >:D

What happens if you suddenly swat at a bee or wave to another biker and you forget you have your hands on the handlebars?  Do you fall over or turn quick?

What happens if you suddenly swat at a bee while you're driving and and you forget you have your hand on the steering wheel?  Do you turn quick into the curb?

What happens if you're at home eating a steak and you answer a telephone call?  Do you poke yourself in the ear with your knife and fork?

What happens if you're pumping gas, and you want to wave at someone you know that is passing by?  Do you spray gas all over the place or do you remember to release the handle and just wave the nozzle around?

Stasch said:
What happens if you're at home eating a steak and you answer a telephone call?  Do you poke yourself in the ear with your knife and fork?

I didn't think anyone saw that......  :-[

Yea, but it was after the call when you were eating the steak with the phone that really got me!
wall.gif

What happens if you're at home pressing the laundry and you answer a telephone call?  Do you poke yourself on the cheek with your iron?

For the long ride, some youngsters of this forum have suggested in addition to Pull Back strings that you put on Pull Ups . . .  :))

I have never seen so many puss-lets and pups in one place in my whole life, and I am 64 years old. I just got back from a 7 state and 2 province trip and used my poor-boy pull backs all across Nebraska going and coming on I-80 in 100+ deg heat with my feet propped up on the forward road pegs and leaned back againsed the sleeping bag and had the old Connie on skinnerback.  I am getting too old for this crap.  Remember what  RW says, you can't fix stupid. ;)  p.s If you can control an 1,100 pound horse, with a mind of its own, with a couple of strings (reins), then surely you can control a 600 pound Connie, that goes exactly where you tell it, with a couple of strings.............. :-*

Skinnerback?

I don't deny you could steer a bike with a couple of strings, I am sure you are not talking about aggressively running through twisties or stop and go traffic. My point is you don't even need the strings just lean back, put your feet up on the tank and take a break. You will steer just fine by leaning side to side as you eat up those boring slab miles. Pop open a pounder and relax. Light 'em if you got 'em.

We know who the real puss-ups and puplets are, the have strings on they're handlebars because they are too 'fraidy cat to let go. Heck, if a 180,000 pound aircraft can fly itself on autopilot, surely a 600 pound bike doesn't need a rider to tell it what to do.

I am just having fun with it. I do a lot worse things while riding then steer with strings. Heck, I  lean back and dont even have hands on the handle bars plus i am online checking my emails and facebook postings, checking for weather and traffic while talking on the cell phone.
Sorry if I offended, it was not meant to be that.

Mike, you didn't.  I am having fun with it also.  we can all pick are own poison.  :)  PS Willy P If you ever hit a road snake just right and put the Connie it to a wobble it will break you from the habit.  and at best you will stretch your punker strings.

Ok, but I still don't understand skinnerback and now you add punker strings. I guess I am too old for this new age lingo ;)

JDM, we're all just foolin' around . . . and I happen to use pull backs myself. 

I call them RPIE's - 'Retractable Pilot Input Extenders'

They work much better for me than the no handed, leaning side to side bit. 

They let me keep the bike right in the lane where I want it to be and for as long as is needed (with no traffic or other conditions) allowing for a nice rest for the back, just as you already know.

So far I haven't turned quick or fallen while slapping at a bee because I forgot to let go.

However, the other day I was shoveling dirt to put in my lawn, and waved at the neighbor while forgetting to let go of the shovel.  They kept waving frantically at me to stop, and I kept waving back to be polite thinking its always nice to be neighborly.  I ended up with a nice hole for a pond.  Problem is the dirt ended up in interior of my wife's convertible. 

Haven't figured out a way to explain this to the insurance agent yet.

Now about that knife and fork . . . .

And what is a skinnerback anyway?

I once flew back from Atlanta, and the pilot had put on the 'Fasten Seat-belts' sign before landing. He forgot to turn it off, so there I was, walking through the terminal, dragging that 747 by the seat-belt...

Willy P, Stasch, Let me try to explain skinnerback to you in a way that I will not get thrown off the site.  You two must be a bit Jewish or had alot of toys to play with when you grew up. Me, I was so poor that if I had not had a hole in my pocket, I would not have had anything to play with.  And skinnerback was my favorite game.  I was fast at it.  Here is some good advice from an old fart.  If you are going to play with your Johnson,  do it in tall weeds.  Short weeds can cause back trouble and you will need to tie strings to your handle bars ;)

There was a bar down the shore that had a sign outside that said their band was The Swinging Johnson's.  :eek:

Must be a regional thing cause I am not Jewish and my folks didn't have a lot of money but I did have some toys but my first bike I bought with money I earned myself.

Can someone explain to Willy P  pukerstrings and skinnerback.  Willy I can't spell SHIPt.  (punkerstrings)  :'(

Like I said, it must be a regional thing, a dialect, southern vernacular. I am sure we say things up here in NH or where I grew up in Maine that would leave someone from the south scratching their head. Dunno what, though.

We used to call it 'playing pocket pool' when you amuse your self through a hole in your pocket.

I once flew back from Atlanta, and the pilot had put on the 'Fasten Seat-belts' sign before landing. He forgot to turn it off, so there I was, walking through the terminal, dragging that 747 by the seat-belt...
  :))

JDM, I'm Dutch, although my heritage is also generally categorized as being tight firsted with money.

I'm sorry I asked . . . .  :-\

Willy P, see how much more fun you can have riding one of these old Connie's.  And you are wanting to do it with out hands. ;)

Willy P, if you ever head down this way let me know I will buy you a beer, and give you a nickel tour of nw Ark.  :)