• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Possible buy

I've been looking a lot lately too.  that price seems about average from what I have seen on ebay.  Since that seems to be their asking price, I'd think you could make them an offer and get it for something less.  Given the mileage, I would not pay their asking price, but at the same time, I'd not be afraid of the mileage.  There would still be lots of fun times left in it.  :)

occasionally.  you just have to keep watch and be patient.  There was an 09 model recently that the buy-it-now price was 7650.

That's probably a fair price. It is an ABS model.  The bike is listed at  35,500 miles. Not drastically high mileage.  But not low either. The question is, did this bike have it's proper services? It should have had two valve clearance checks at this point. It also lists the bike at 606lbs. Wrong! It's 615 "dry" for an 2008ABS model. Add fluids and it's closer to 700lbs.
    It does have a Throttlemeister and a V Stream windshield. I personally like V Streams, although they are not so great if your real short. I'm 5'8" with a 29-30" inseam. I used the V Stream in the cooler months and on long trips. But it was a little too high for the summer heat for me.
  The 08 C14 has some questionable things. One being the first bikes had a lot more KIPASS issues than the Gen II C14's (2010+). Also the Gen I C14's also didn't have as good of heat management as the Gen II C14's. There is a few other differences as well. The Gen II C14's also had traction control on the ABS versions, higher (better) mirrors, heated grips and a taller OEM windshield. So the Gen II C14's are probably more desirable. But the 08 ABS model doesn't have the linked brakes. IMO, that's a plus.
    So although the Gen II bikes are probably the better bikes. The Gen I C14 are no slouches either. The price is probably fair. But check on the maintenance on the bike. As well as the availability of an extended warranty. You may not be able to get one if the factory 3 year warranty is already expired. With the KIPASS, TPS and other features on this bike. You may want to have an extended warranty.

Thanks Cap after I posted this I read your writeup for the C14 FJR comparison, so the 14 may not be right for me, also 7500 is right at the top of what I want to spend, so I would have to stick with the Gen1. I may wait, I was just looking for good deals considering the time of the year. I may just pocket the difference and keep putting my money into the good old C10..... No payment....and no interest! That way I can get some shiny new farkles  too!!

Don't get me wrong. The 08 C14 is a great bike. Just be careful and check out what your buying before you spend the money. Some folks complained about the heat, although it never really bothered me. The mirrors were a little low. But they worked OK. The biggest thing I guess is the previous maintenance on the bike. One ride would probably have you buying it. It's a lot more updated than the C10 is. But the C10 is also still a great bike. Just an older design than the C14.  :)

Looks like it also has bar risers which they didn't mention in the ad. Price is good for an ABS model IMO, but I personally would rather spend a little more for something with less miles but that's just me. As long as it's in good condition I think you'd like it compared to your current 10, especially if you can get it for less than $7k, $6k would be my offer and see what they come back with.

Good luck and happy hunting!  ;)

What I may do is just make a lowball offer and if they take it I'll have made out. if they don't I can move on. The bike is in Il and I'm in Mi so it would be hard to look at, I wonder if I can get them to run a vin report for the mainteance and have them send me the info?

I'm just weary of the 10 I ride alone often because most of the time my rides are spur of the moment and not planned, so I'd rather run around on a newer bike.... I'm torn!!

You may be able to get a Kawasaki dealer to run the vin for you. You may be able to see warranty issues. Hopefully they are taken care of!

I have the Gen 1 09. At times I do wish I had waited a year and got the heated grips but I'm still happy with the 09. The engine heat issue is not an issue if properly dressed. If you wear shorts and sandals you will pay. I have had more of an heat issue stopped at a stop sign in 100 + degree weather with heat coming up through the triple tree. Once moving again, it’s no problem. The 14 is a big engine to cool off. I’ve read articles which people have complained about heat on a Harley too.  I like the ABS, not so sure if I would like linked brakes. I have gotten used to the mirror location and find myself wondering why I can’t see behind me when I look for the mirrors while riding my Z-1. I have to raise the eye balls to a higher level which is almost now un natural. I think you could get a 14 with way lower mileage and in the same price range if you shop. 

TimR said:
I have the Gen 1 09. At times I do wish I had waited a year and got the heated grips but I'm still happy with the 09. The engine heat issue is not an issue if properly dressed. If you wear shorts and sandals you will pay. I have had more of an heat issue stopped at a stop sign in 100 + degree weather with heat coming up through the triple tree. Once moving again, it’s no problem. The 14 is a big engine to cool off. I’ve read articles which people have complained about heat on a Harley too.  I like the ABS, not so sure if I would like linked brakes. I have gotten used to the mirror location and find myself wondering why I can’t see behind me when I look for the mirrors while riding my Z-1. I have to raise the eye balls to a higher level which is almost now un natural. I think you could get a 14 with way lower mileage and in the same price range if you shop.

I agree with you 100% that the heat issue is way worse on other bikes I have owned. Go in tomorrow and offer $6400. They are getting 5 to 8 inches of snow tonight and  I bet they take it. If not hold out for ABS.

Tim you and I own just about the same bikes. I have an 08 with ABS and a 76 KZ. Here is a pic:
kz673.jpg

I bought it for $300 out of a shed. Tim

I'm glad I love my '08 C14 :-\ :-\ :-\
$7K might be a high price for an ABS with 35K miles??????  In a few years 50% depreciation on the #1 Sport Tourer out there (ok 1 or 2 depending on who you ask)??????
New KLR650's are $6K????

Just plain crazy if you ask me, I'll have to drive mine forever, good thing I didn't finance it.

Noah

Tim said:
TimR said:

I agree with you 100% that the heat issue is way worse on other bikes I have owned. Go in tomorrow and offer $6400. They are getting 5 to 8 inches of snow tonight and  I bet they take it. If not hold out for ABS.

The one listed below is ABS I think according to the ad...

ZG said:
Tim said:
TimR said:

The one listed below is ABS I think according to the ad...

The description does say ABS. The ABS sticker on the front fender must have been removed. I would check it to make sure the description is correct.

I had a KLR over the summer, never got to hit the dirt in it once! Every KLR rider I tried to ride with always flaked....I rode it to Milwaukee and realized that it was just to anemic for me and my type of riding...so I sold it. That would be 6k poorly invested in my case even if it was new. But I sure did like the KLR community, and suprisingly there were a lot of Connie owners too! That was awesome.

Ill get another Dual Sport, I just want one with a bigger motor!

Tim here's a poor shot of the Z1. I'm down to chrome and paint. It has about 18k 0n the clock. You can see the front fender of the C14 and in the back ground is my first car, 1955 F-100. I bought this in Sept 1970. And no it was not brown then.

Attachments

• PICT0148.JPG
    PICT0148.JPG
    583.4 KB · Views: 63