• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PR2 or PR3 for dry weather riding

If you have tried both the PR2 and Pr3 which would you buy for riding in dry weather 99% of the time

• PR2

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • PR3

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Other tire

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

jwolffie

Bicycle
I ride on dry roads 99% of the time, which deal do you think is better?
A set of Michelin PR3 for $326 or a set of PR2 for $297. I am looking for long wear and traction.

I am looking for long wear and traction.

The PR3 also gives you quick warm ups, better compliance (higher psi = potentially higher mileage), and more traction in emergency situations.  That's all worth an extra 10% on my bike.    YMMV

From what I have read, the primary improvement tor the PR3 over the PR2 it's wet weather performance.  Just what I read on the Michelin website.

I can't say for sure about actual mileage between them. But I found the PR3 to be a much better tire over the PR2 in every way. But to be fair, I'm one of the folks who didn't like the PR2's.

I'm with Bob, being another one of the few that didn't care for the PR2. The 3 is much better as far as grip & feel. Wear is another matter, they don't hold up well for me. I've had 2 sets of 2's & 3 sets of 3's. Current 3's have 3105 miles on them & are in the wear bars, I'm going to run them slick to see if I can squeeze 3700 out of them.  I want be buying anymore Michenlin's.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Ive had both and live in the rain capital, South Florida. The 3s feel like youre riding on rails in the rain. The 2s wear better. The 3 on the front feels smoother through the bars. Im about due for a new set. Im going with a 3 on the front for smoothness and handling and a 2 on the back for longer wear.

I ride on dry roads 90% of the time,
I get caught in the rain, snow and a couple of times on black ice, the 10% extra for the PR3's I have no problem, they saved my bacon more then once  :)