• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

pr3 front shinko verge rear

jpelletier

Training Wheels
Has anyone tried a PR3 front tire with the new Shinko Verge radial on the rear? Or is the 777 bias ply and the PR3 the way to go? Thanks.

I'm on my 3rd set of PR3/777 and couldn't be happier with the handling, grip and mileage from both (11K from PR3 and 8.5K-9.5K from 777).  The Verge would have to post some higher mileage numbers before I'd shell out the extra $40 compared to the 777.

I just tried the shinko verge on the front and back... had the ball bearing dance on the front. Sent a picture of the tire to Revzilla literally within 10 min I had a full credit for the tire. Bad tire? known issues? don't know but I bought the pr4 front and kept the Verge on the back  put it on yesterday it stopped the ball bearing dance!!! I couldn't be happier with the combination. the verge seems to have awesome grip felt like a new bike
hope this helps

Thanks for the input. I have been running stock Dunlops and got almost 8000 miles on them. The rear has some life but the front is shot. I want to start the season on new rubber, and have been driving myself crazy reading hundreds of posts on the forum trying to make a decision on which way to go. So today I took the leap and ordered a Shinko 777 HD for the rear and a Michelin PR3 110 80 18 from Bike Bandit for $224 for the set. With an $8 charge for bulk item shipping. I have never mixed a radial with a bias ply before, so I am a little uneasy about it. This seems to be the only combo that has no negative remarks on the forum so I figured I would give it a shot. I also ordered front and rear brake pads, and angled valve stems from Murphs. At 55,000 miles is it recommended to replace the wheel bearings while its apart for mounting the tires?  Thanks again, Jay  2000 c-10

Hope you enjoy those tires.  It's going to feel very light and nimble.  For future reference, I got my combo last month from Rocky Mountain ATV for $10 less, free shipping and no extra bulk shipping fee.  It seems like all these on-line shops take turns having the lowest prices at different times of the year.
I replaced my bearing at 35K miles as preventive maintenance.  At $6 to $7 apiece, it just seemed like good insurance.  Pulled the rubber seals off the ones I hammered out and was surprised to see the front bearing were almost void of grease.  The rears still had plenty.