• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PR3s

elektradw

Moped
Just put on my 3rd set of PR3s this year, in addition to the original Brigestones which were taken off after about a week. I have been averaging about 12,000 miles per set. There looks to be lots of tread depth left, however, the crown definitely flattens out and handling begins to suffer. In addition, I picked up a low speed wobble very noticeable if I take my hands off the bars. Lots of cupping in front of the rain snipes. You could feel the tires fall off the flat when making a 90º turn at an intersection, kinda feels like it wants to flop over.

Purchased the last two sets from http://ChaparralMotorsports.com/ Best price on the net.

I take the wheels off and bring them to my local motorcycle tire center for mounting. Don't trust an $8/hr guy to set the torque on the axle nuts and caliper mounting bolts correctly; mounting the rear wheel on the hub; greasing the hub splines with MD grease. Like to do it all myself so I have confidence at 100++mph that everything is secure.

In addition, after they claimed a 100% accurate spin balance, I put the wheels on my static balancer and they were both off 1/2 oz. Also, even after telling the mgr. I wanted the pressure set at 45lbs I found them to be at only 35. "Gots ta do it awl yaself" to make sure it is done right. I should just go out and buy a tire changer but have no room in my garage.

Who'd you take 'em to? I had mine changed over at Carter. They didn't even put the valve stem caps back on. Next set goes to Cycle Gear. Please tell me didn't go to Ride Now.

Do you run yours at 45 psi?  I have been to the Michelin site a number of time trying to get a good pressure and the site never works.  Running 40 right now and my local wrench thinks I 5 - 8 psi over where I should be set.  Of course, they also told me you should NEVER put PR3s on a Connie because they are not a touring class tire.  I would value the opinion of someone on their third set.  Thanks much!

I filled mine from my compressor to 42 psi front and back, sitting in my garage. Right as rain when I ride for a while, after the tires get up to temperature, they reach 45 psi.

Thank Goodness they are not 'Touring Tires'. Thankfully they are 'sport touring tires'. Your wise parts changer 'wrench' is not qualified to offer an opinion in an area he obviously has little knowledge, tires for our big  sporty toury bikes.  Tell him to go back to work and scratch someone else's wheels....what a maroon...

ddtmoto said:
Thank Goodness they are not 'Touring Tires'. Thankfully they are 'sport touring tires'. Your wise parts changer 'wrench' is not qualified to offer an opinion in an area he obviously has little knowledge, tires for our big  sporty toury bikes.  Tell him to go back to work and scratch someone else's wheels....what a maroon...

Hopefully I can afford a good tire changer soon. I have the compressor, so I can get one that is pneumatic maybe.

Check out the NoMar tire changer set ups, amazing. I have had mine for about 6 years. I used a handheld bead breaker and tire levers before the nomar for over ten years. I have a track bike so I do a lot of tires. And I help some riding buddies for pizza paybacks... The Nomar has paid for it's self big time.

Old Man on a Connie: In Las Vegas I bring the wheels and tires to Motorcycle Tire Center on Charleston/Eastern. I just have them mount/balance the tires to the rim. I always check the balance with a static device before I remount the wheel on the bike at home, and they are usually off by quite a bit. Next time I will skip them balancing the tire and just do it myself. I use 45lbs cold. I monitor the pressure every time I ride and will let it go till it starts cold at 42lbs. This usually gives me a window of about 3-4 weeks or a couple of thousand miles. Then I bump it back up to 45lbs. Handles great and gives me excellent mileage. I enter the ring at 250, so take that into account. I never let the pressure drop below 42lbs.

Thks elektra. I'll have to look them up. Where in the general area are you? Met a couple of riders in the local area. I'm up by Lake Las Vegas. Your not the mystery man on the black C14 I see all the time on Lake mead Pkwy are you? I'm starting to get a stalker complex looking for this guy. :))

I keep seeing this guy turn into the Tuscany area off of lake mead pkwy in Hendo past Burkholder but before Calico ridge. I'm up in Calico. Always full atgatt. No trunk.

I recently put my first set of PR3's on the bike and now that I have about 2100 miles on them I can say I have found my tire.  I had a set of Angels on there previously and while I really liked the stickyness of them (they handle great) after 2000 miles on them I started to see some wear,  the PR3's look brand new even after thrashing them around in Arkansas for the last week :)

I do my own tire changes, I have a buddy with a no mar setup (the kind that locks into a receiver hitch on the car) and I own a Mark Parnes balancer...  it takes some work but at least I know they are done properly :)

Completed a trackday today with some personal instuction my rear PR3 is toast....I guess the smile on my face wasn't free.

After a full memorial weekend of backroading around SW Wisconsin the PR3's are about done.
Honestly I'm very pleased I got 9000 miles on them in less than a year in this climate. The 2011 national rally coinciding with a east coast trip didn't help with longevity either.
One thing for sure, I am not even considering changing to a different tire no matter the price.
They put the "sport" in sport touring.

SOLD !

Okay, sold. Thanks for everyone weighing in their experience. Just ordered PR3s from revzilla to replace the OEMs. I did get 8k out of the OEMs, but they've been flat and cupping for almost 2k. [I've been doing very little other than a 2 hr all slab commute to a client's office and have a big tour coming up in 3 weeks, so I pushed it a bit.  :) ]

just cliff boost your tire pressure to 45 and never let it drop below 42 and you will see better mileage and handling characteristics.

Just called the Dealer,

He said "....hey Stewart how can I help?"

I said "PR3's please"

He said "last time your were looking for the 55's, but we could only get the 50's, do you want 55's?"

I said "yeah why not, lets give them a try"

He said "have my hand on them now, want me to reserve?"

I said "see you tomorrow for fitting"

Sweeeet!!! Reasonable price, good service and personal touch.

My OEMs are just about done after the National Rally in Eureka Springs.  Only about 4k miles on them.  Based on all the comments on the forum here I will be mounting PR3s soon.

elektra said:
just cliff boost your tire pressure to 45 and never let it drop below 42 and you will see better mileage and handling characteristics.

Follow the owners manual and set your PR3s to 42 psi COLD, and they will take care of themselves when they come up to speed and warm up.

well, my next sets will be pr3's for a test. i ride my bike spirited on the weekend and my tires last 4k and 6k rear and front. super happy with the feel of my current tires looking for more "good" miles out of a tire. My guy ordered me a set or 2 of the pr3 in a 55 series, still have a set or so of my currents new at his place. (so i have about 3-4 new sets there)
very interested to see my mileage comparison on similar roads. (might get spendy with changing tires, i will be running the pr3s down, but trips to the U.P. (mich) cant risk bald tires, will have to swap and mark milage, then reinstall to finish off.

excited for the test to start  :great:

35k miles on the bike, 4k miles out of a rear (6k front) = big used tire stack  :'(

JR said:
...... to 42 psi COLD, and they will take care of themselves when they come up to speed and warm up.

what is cold ?? in the am before leaving ?? 70* 85* ?? (always wondered that) say its 65* is cold, well it might not be that for a month or more. heh

42 in the am before leaving for the day ??  ???

"Cold" is when the bike hasn't been riden for more than something like 4 hours.

So just check it before you start your first ride of the day and you'll be good.  ;)

The Pope said:
"Cold" is when the bike hasn't been riden for more than something like 4 hours.

So just check it before you start your first ride of the day and you'll be good.  ;)

Exactly. No need to overthink it or try to plink at it.  :rotflmao:

elektra said:
Just put on my 3rd set of PR3s this year, in addition to the original Brigestones which were taken off after about a week. I have been averaging about 12,000 miles per set. There looks to be lots of tread depth left, however, the crown definitely flattens out and handling begins to suffer. In addition, I picked up a low speed wobble very noticeable if I take my hands off the bars. Lots of cupping in front of the rain snipes. You could feel the tires fall off the flat when making a 90º turn at an intersection, kinda feels like it wants to flop over.

Purchased the last two sets from http://ChaparralMotorsports.com/ Best price on the net.

I take the wheels off and bring them to my local motorcycle tire center for mounting. Don't trust an $8/hr guy to set the torque on the axle nuts and caliper mounting bolts correctly; mounting the rear wheel on the hub; greasing the hub splines with MD grease. Like to do it all myself so I have confidence at 100++mph that everything is secure.

In addition, after they claimed a 100% accurate spin balance, I put the wheels on my static balancer and they were both off 1/2 oz. Also, even after telling the mgr. I wanted the pressure set at 45lbs I found them to be at only 35. "Gots ta do it awl yaself" to make sure it is done right. I should just go out and buy a tire changer but have no room in my garage.

thanks for the tip on Chapparral as i am also looking to replace my stock bridgestones with the pr3's. When i compared their price to 4 others on the net, they were the most expensive.

Bill

S Smith said:
JR said:
The Pope said:
JS_racer said:
wtf is "plink:  ???  ;D

I'm not sure either, but I "think" this is what JR ment: http://pngu.mgh.harvard.edu/~purcell/plink/

Roger that.

OT
Wow! Here I thought Plink was something I did as a kid with a .22 caliber rifle and some open soup cans.

:rotflmao:

I did that too, starting with a BB gun, then a pellet gun, then graduated to my Dad's old Remington tube-fed semi-automatic 22 long rifle.

Anyway, the reference to plink is to avoid putting everything through an analysis and weighting process, and just leave it at face value and contribute to the thread or not.