• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Prudhoe Bay, Alaska

kraziee

Tricycle
We just completed a ride to Prudhoe Bay. Two ZG1000's experienced the same problem. I lost or broke the left front motor mount bolt and the right front motor mount broke. The other concours had a Murph's tip over bar set broke the front motor mount bolts several times. We were fortunate that the folks at the Yukon river crossing 350 miles South of Prudhoe Bay allowed us to us an old truck repair facility to effect repairs, and had all I needed for parts. I was able to effect repair using liquid steel and hose clamps to put the right side back together. I wrapped a piece of cable around frame near the neck and connected to the radiator support mounts using a turnbuckle to tighten the cable and relieve pressure on the upper mounts. A little more buzz than normal but I finished the ride without further incident. We were able purchase bolts at the Coldfoot facility and WAL-MIKE'S to replace the broken bolts on the other Connie.

Congrats on the ride. What year are the bikes? Which grade bolts did you replace them with? Lots of bumps along the way? Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

My bike was a 2004 with 13000 and the other was a 1998 with 40000. Mine was a rebuilt wreck I had just finished so I don't know if the mount was damaged in the crash. I was very careful about shifting and avoiding potholes after the initial repair and made it all the way home without further incident. The other just broke the bolts with a Murph's tip over bar set and Grade 5 bolts. Two bolts we aquired along the way were Grade 8 and they broke as well. He lost the lower radiator support bolts as well. We weren't picky about grade...up there you take what you can get! The roads were passable, I think we just rode TOO HARD!!! I was able to TIG weld the broken mount without pulling the head. It seems to be fine. The extra buzz went away after the weld. Here's a link to some of our pictures. http://www.iammoon.com/albums/No%20Pansies%20Alaskan%20Tour/

Nice pictures. Looks like you guys had a great time. Plenty of bugs and dirt along the way! The pictures clearly show the broken bolts and mount. Thanks for sharing. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z