• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Putting a aftermarket spring on the stock shock body

mr. bill

Tricycle
I weigh 155lbs and the stock shock spring is beating my back up even on the least amount of pre-load.
According to Ractech's website the stock spring is a 13.3kg and per their calculations for a 155 lb rider with no gear on, I need a 13.0kg shock spring.
They offer a 12.5kg and a 13.5 kg spring.  I'm hoping that the 12.5kg spring will give me a cush ride over the horrific freeway bumps I ride on everyday, but then be firmed up by cranking in some pre-load when I want to get on the twisties.

My question is:
Has anyone removed their stock shock and replaced the spring with a lighter or heavier after market spring?  Is it possible to put a after market spring on the stock shock?  If so did you do it yourself and did you use any special tools?

thanks

i haven't done it on my C14, but i have done it on countless sportbike/trackbikes over the course of my riding lifetime...

but usually an adjustment to make the ride better would also involve improving the valving on the shock itself.  Putting a softer spring on the stock shock might just lead you to a more bouncy ride, and not necessarily a softer-cushier ride...ya dig?

just my 2 cents    ???

Why not just buy an Ohlins rear shock sprung to your weight and be done with it?  ;) :)

2 more cents...

just for example, my SV650-track bike has a stock spring and shock, which everyone knows sucks.  When pushing it on the racetrack, i can be as smooth as i can, to keep the weight transfer from being too harsh, but the weak spring has the bike sagging so much when i get on the throttle at the apex of a corner, that my feet start to scrape the pavement, and not keep the bike stable so that my knee is sticking out scraping the pavement. 

on a big bike like the Connie, putting a softer spring on will have it wollowing all over the place, i'm sure.  and with the shock not being fully adjustable for rebound or compression, the effect you will get will be going from it being too sensitive and harsh, to it being wallowy, soft, and matress level bouncy.  and its handling will deteriorate as well, it will feel llike driving a 77 Caddy with bad shocks.

Thanks all for the input.
I kinda agree with ZG...I'll probably just buy an Ohlin's and be done with it.
It's just that a race tech spring is less than $200 and an Ohlin's setup is another 1K....and I don't believe the compression dampening is adjustable even on the Ohlins...even though it may be valved different than stock.

So nobody's changed the spring on the stock shock...going once, going twice....

You would need a special spring compressor at the least. I haven't looked that close at the OEM C14 shock to see if can be taken apart or not though. I have a Progressive Suspension spring compressor though, and I might give it a shot just to see if it can be done.

1882 said:
Perhaps a viable option along with raising the fork tubes an inch for the vertically challenged?

An inch shorter on the shock will result in lowering the seat height (and steering geometry) by at least 2.5 inches.  I don't think you would like the final result.

This is not the solution you're looking for, Ohlins is what you seek...

these_are_not_the_droids.jpg

Yes you can replace the spring, I was going to replace my spring with a Hyperpro spring before I decided to just get a Hyperpro rear shock.

But in the case, I agree with a previous poster, the spring is likely not your problem it is likely the compression damping.

Before you whip out your checkbook, take some time and adjust the rear shock/front forks properly (Static Sag and Damping)  you may be surprised.

Plus, I'd be careful about Racetech's website.... Their calculator is not always accurate..  For example according to their site, I should use a 1.0 spring in the front which is too soft (Stockers are 1.2)... ....I think I wound up with a 1.3 from Traxxion but you get the drift...

And before you shell out big bucks on a Ohlins,  ask yourself what kind of riding you do, unless you are really pushing that bike to it's limit shelling out the $$$ for that shock is just throwing money away (Unless you are doing it for other reasons such as the cool looking gold..or trying for the most heavily farkled connie award :) )  You can go with a much less expensive shock and get the results you want...  But I'd try having a proper adjustment done first...

Let me explain what I have found getting everything dialed in on my bike.  First off for some not obvious reason it seems the stock tires actually ride BETTER 3-4 over spec inflation.  Yes the bike sits a little taller but I have found the same true on Bridgestone tires I ran on my Victory vision.  The second thing that seems backward is the bike rides better with more preload and damping set on the rear.  My front is set on the soft side.

WaltR said:
  Let me explain what I have found getting everything dialed in on my bike.  First off for some not obvious reason it seems the stock tires actually ride BETTER 3-4 over spec inflation.  Yes the bike sits a little taller but I have found the same true on Bridgestone tires I ran on my Victory vision.  The second thing that seems backward is the bike rides better with more preload and damping set on the rear.  My front is set on the soft side.

I'd be REAL careful over-inflating the tires on this bike. The OEM pressure is already at 42 on this bike, which is very high. Inflating them to 46 could very likely end up in the tire carcass bulging and/or separating. I think you'd be asking for trouble if you run them that high. You'll also loose traction, especially when braking if the tire are overinflated.

In My Opinion, tire pressure shouldn't be used to adjust the "ride", it should be set to achieve proper tire temperature, traction, and handle load. If you want to adjust the ride, do it using the suspension, not the tires.

ZG said:

But master, where may I acquire the 30,000 danires needed to trade for this fine instrument. The Galaxies are under unrest, it is difficult to transport valuables across Spectrum US

Colt 45 should chime in here...or you can contact him...

He put Penske with 4 way dampening and he claims the suspension is superb...of course, he got traxxion in the front also

nando said:
ZG said:

But master, where may I acquire the 30,000 danires needed to trade for this fine instrument. The Galaxies are under unrest, it is difficult to transport valuables across Spectrum US

:rotflmao:

ZG said:
nando said:
ZG said:

:rotflmao:

Excellent response!  :great:  :rotflmao: