• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Question for all Brand New purchased C-14 owners ?

JJPSUPERDAD

Training Wheels
Has anyone who purchased their Concours -14 new, returned for the 600 mile check up?

If so what did the dealer charge for the service and is it worth doing?  ???

I did all my own on our 2004 concours.

What 600 mile check up?!  Oh no!  I thought it was 60,000 miles... anybody want a 2011 with 2,300 miles,  coming up on it's first oil change?

I did it. Cost a $140.00 which included changing the shaft drive oil as well. The mechanic said he recommends changing the shaft drive oil each time you change the engine oil. It doesn't have very much capacity so it gets dirty faster.

You might find it interesting that I also changed the oil at 100 miles. Just the oil and I did that myself. It was very dirty. There have also been a few studies done that suggest it is worth it. The way I look at it, it cost me $20 and 20 minutes.

I'm also the guy who put 260,000 miles on a Honda Civic transmission by changing the fluid every 30,000 miles whether it needs it or not.

I didnt take mine in because they were backed up 2 weeks. and i didnt want to wait.
i changed my own oil and gear lube.

I always do the 600miles checkup but I never take it to the dealership.  I just change the oil and filter and try to check bolts to make sure they haven't worked loose on me.

i took mine in and paid 154.00, but i had done the oil/filter and rear drive fluids myself which cost me around 60 bucks.

Bill
2011 Black Abs

Ok how often does everyone change the oil.manual I believe says 7500 miles, every dealer I talk to says between 2,000-5,000.when I bought my bike I went on a 1700 miles ride then had the dealer do the first service he wants to make appointment for next change at 2000 miles, now my bike has 4900 miles oil still looking clean so ill probably wait until 8000 miles for change #2 dealer also said shaft oil should last 30,000
What's your thought

I over paid to the tune of about $278. But i went to the dealer for the 600 miles service. it just seemed right to take it to the dealer for the 600 mi service. I only wish it was less.

The engine and final drive oil change is the simple but necessary part of the 600 mile service. The equally necessary but what seems to get overlooked (by such post as "my upper triple clamp bolt is missing") is re-torquing all of the fasteners that Kawasaki list in the service manual. Exhaust, motor mounts, steering, suspension, etc. New metals and fasteners will wear into each other and loose torque as they seat. Unless I knew the mechanic working on it, I wouldn't trust that all the fasteners got checked. For the amount of labor involved to re-torque everything and change the fluids, a buck and a half would be cheap, once again assuming everything gets checked. If you are mechanically inclined enough to change oil in your car, buy a service manual, Fred's videos, a quality torque wrench, and a few specialty sockets. I know everything is tight on my bike and they will get checked annually or at the valve adjustment which ever comes first.

Scott

Howdy,
If you have the manual the 600 mile check up is pretty straight forward.  Other than changing the engine, final drive oil and the filter the rest is "inspect".
Later,
Norm

My dealer charged about $160. I only had them do it because of all of the extra inspection stuff, plus they had to replace one of the handlebars (under warranty) that had a scratch on it anyways, so I figured WTH. But that was the only time my bike has been back to the dealer - I do everything myself if I can help it.

... can't believe no one jumped on BS for sitting in a Honda Civic for 260,000 miles!  Imagine... just imagine that!  That's nearly 6,000 hours in a Civic averaging 45 miles per hour, which ain't easy!  Where did he go?  What was he smoking?  Who was riding shotgun?  What must the sound system be like?!!!!!

There are some things that I just don't want other people to know... like I have this Q-TIP that I've been preserving for seven months during repeated use, but I wouldn't want anybody to know that...