• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Question for Murph's Handlebar wedges only users

KretonsLC

Last week I took a 2 day trip to far west Texas and back which generated some hand numbing and discomfort.  Since I think most of the discomfort stems from the handlebar angle rather than its height, I want to try Murph's wedges rather than go straight to trying the risers.

According to Murph's site "The effect is to remove some of the compound twist in your wrists . . . The specific effect is to narrow the overall width by about 1.5", bring them closer to the rider 3/4", and 1" higher." 

Does the 1.5" narrowing better align your hands and wrists?  I think the stock handlebar kinks them and causes the discomfort by restricting blood flow, but am not sure how narrowing them with the wedges will straighten them out an provide a more natural alignment and better blood flow.

Other than the hand discomfort, I found the stock ergos and stock seat very comfortable, although because of knee issue I will also be adding Ronnie's h/w pegs before my tour up to Idaho in June.

I had the wedges on before adding the risers and they did help.

The only way I could explain the benefit (for me) is to say that with the stock setup, most of the pressure seemed to be on the forefinger and thumb area. The rest of my palm was basically floating.

With the wedges tilting the bar ends up, what little weight that is on my hands was moved to be across my whole palm. I noticed a significant decrease in my throttle hand numbing.

I did not notice much of an effect with the bars being any narrower. It was more about the up/down angle.

Hope my rambling helps,
Chuck

Hi Kreston.

I have long term experience with the wedge's on my 2011.  I can confirm what Chuck said about the benefits of the wedge's tipping the bar ends up.  I will say that at first install, the bars being closer together does feel a little weird but that went away quickly.  I have been quite happy with the set up (70k mi) and like how the bike rides with just the wedges.  I also found that having a throttle lock or cruise will also help a lot in reducing hand/wrist stress while riding.

I would recommend trying them, or seeing if you can find a member who has them on their bike (I will be at HMR if it helps) so you can give them a try.

I will say, before you buy wedges, look at how your wrists are oriented. If they seem to be in a natural, neutral position, not bent in order for your hands to grip the bars, then look elsewhere for comfort. I tried the wedges, and took off for a 760 mile ride. I had to pull over about 60 miles into the ride to remove them. For me, they were extremely uncomfortable. My hands sit naturally on the bars with the wrists in a natural position. I bought the wedges directly from Philip, the man who designed them. He does fantastic work and this is not a criticism of him, or the wedges. Just be sure they are the answer to your problem.

Thanks guys - very helpful info!

Phil - currently my wrists are not in a natural/neutral position.  I noticed this when I got my Connie back in January, and a few 400-500 mile days have made it impossible to ignore.  A throttle rocker has definitely helped, but that unnatural wrist/hand alignment is what I'm hoping the wedges will fix to better open up blood flow and provide better weight distribution for my hands.

Kreton'sLC said:
Thanks guys - very helpful info!

Phil - currently my wrists are not in a natural/neutral position.  I noticed this when I got my Connie back in January, and a few 400-500 mile days have made it impossible to ignore.  A throttle rocker has definitely helped, but that unnatural wrist/hand alignment is what I'm hoping the wedges will fix to better open up blood flow and provide better weight distribution for my hands.

It sounds like they may help you then.  Give them a shot.

The wrist angle of the stock bars was horrible for me. Stock seat was a close second. I tried risers...wedges...risers with wedges with no relief. Ended up with a set of LSL adapters/risers with old style C10 Helibar adjustable bars. Kind of a long way around but made it work.

gPink said:
The wrist angle of the stock bars was horrible for me. Stock seat was a close second. I tried risers...wedges...risers with wedges with no relief. Ended up with a set of LSL adapters/risers with old style C10 Helibar adjustable bars. Kind of a long way around but made it work.

I'll start with the wedges and hope they're sufficient.  But even if they're not hopefully they'll provide a clue towards what to try next.  Fortunately, I've found the stock seat very comfortable.  I know many go through several aftermarket seats before finding one that works, so I'm glad I don't have to go down that potentially expensive road.

I recently had my seat modified by a local shop. The owner told me they get more Connies in when risers have been added. The change to a more upright riding position exacerbates the stock seat discomfort some riders have. As always, YMMV.

Leo

MtnRider said:
I recently had my seat modified by a local shop. The owner told me they get more Connies in when risers have been added. The change to a more upright riding position exacerbates the stock seat discomfort some riders have. As always, YMMV.

Leo

That's one of the reasons I'm trying baby steps.  I'm hoping the wedges will be a sufficient tweak to make my hands more comfortable without altering my seating position such that the currently comfy stock seat no longer is, or that I sit too upright for the currently acceptable stock windshield to work for me anymore.

Kreton'sLC said:
MtnRider said:

Leo

That's one of the reasons I'm trying baby steps.  I'm hoping the wedges will be a sufficient tweak to make my hands more comfortable without altering my seating position such that the currently comfy stock seat no longer is, or that I sit too upright for the currently acceptable stock windshield to work for me anymore.

A tweak here, a tweak there and pretty soon you're talking about real money. Good luck.

Before you buy the wedges you can simulate the effect. Loosen the bolts holding the bar mounts to the stanchion. Place a pencil under the outside corner of the bar mounts (Or any shim that’s about the same thickness) and snug the bolts. You can’t ride with it but you’ll see the effect.

philipintexas said:
Before you buy the wedges you can simulate the effect. Loosen the bolts holding the bar mounts to the stanchion. Place a pencil under the outside corner of the bar mounts (Or any shim that’s about the same thickness) and snug the bolts. You can’t ride with it but you’ll see the effect.

Darn, Phil - great idea but too late since I already ordered them.  Good news they'll take 'em back if I don't like 'em.

gPink said:
Kreton'sLC said:
MtnRider said:

Leo

A tweak here, a tweak there and pretty soon you're talking about real money. Good luck.

Exactly what I'm hoping to avoid!

Installed the wedge's last night and got a 40 mile ride in this afternoon.  I immediately noticed how much narrower the bars are and how that straightens my wrists.  Also have a comfortable bend in my arms now which takes weight off my wrists.  No hand numbness on a short ride, and my sense is they will be more comfortable on longer ones.  I also like that they didn't change things I didn't want to change, like putting me too upright and putting pressure on my tailbone or suddenly finding the windshield too short.