• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Question on PR3 rear life

COGnosticator

I have a PR3 rear and love the tire, so far I have 6000 miles on it and it shows 2mm to the wear bar in the middle of treads.  I thought I would burn it up last weekend on my 900 mile ride around Suches GA, but now I am surprised it still has tread.  I ride hard and sometimes go over 100mph passing harley's  ::) and 6k is the most I have gotten out of any rear tire, except the Angel which I only got 6k out of.

My question to those who have run this tire, do you think the 2mm will be enough for another 900 mile weekend in the Suches area, which I will be going to the RWTW next weekend.  Just wondering how quickly it goes away at the 2mm mark.  I would love to get one more ride before I put on a new rear, but would hate to ride home on cords  :-\

What say ye who have run this tire?

Thanks

dirt_biker said:
Yes 1 more ride at least :)

Thanks,  ;D  every time I go in the garage I look at that rear tire and think, "why am I being such a COGger"  change that thing and forgetaboutit

The rear PR3 on my '08 has 6,438 on it.  I didn't realize until yesterday when I changed the rear end grease that the tread was down almost to the wear bars.  My local dealer doesn't usually stock PR3s, I thought I might call Union Powersports and see if they have any in stock.  I hate to spend part of a rally weekend sitting at a dealership, but that beats spending part of it picking my bike up out of the weeds.

The middle should be the last thing to wear out.  My sides are gone WAY before I have to worry about the middle losing tread.

cablebandit said:
The middle should be the last thing to wear out.  My sides are gone WAY before I have to worry about the middle losing tread.

I have 300 miles of straight road before I hit curves.  On my last ride to N Ga, 600 miles straight, and 300 on the sides  :(

Tires tend to wear out faster toward the end. Many times what looks like a tire that "might" be ok to make one last trip, ends up showing cord about halfway into your journey, leaving you in a bad situation (BTDT).

Also, keep in mind that 75% of tire punctures and failures occur when the tread is worn down beyond the last 30%. It's generally not a good idea to try to get every last mile out of a set of tires.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Tires tend to wear out faster toward the end. Many times what looks like a tire that "might" be ok to make one last trip, ends up showing cord about halfway into your journey, leaving you in a bad situation (BTDT).

Also, keep in mind that 75% of tire punctures and failures occur when the tread is worn down beyond the last 30%. It's generally not a good idea to try to get every last mile out of a set of tires.

Damnit it Fred  ;D  You are too logical and seeing the forecast for Saturday is another rain event of epic proportions, I better change the tire tonight.  :iagree:

Why push a tire to its limits? The tire cost $200 and you push an extra 10% out of it. That's $20 in savings. Never procrastinate on tires.

Tim said:
Why push a tire to its limits? The tire cost $200 and you push an extra 10% out of it. That's $20 in savings. Never procrastinate on tires.

frugality is instilled in a COGgers blood  ::)

COGnosticat0r said:
Tim said:

Furgality? What is the cost of calling your buddy with the trailer to pick you up when it goes flat? Then having to listen to him ask you why you rode a $15k bike with bald tires all the way home? Priceless!

Kind of like your Wife telling you she was going to get the oil changed tomorrow.

OK, we can all sleep good tonight, I just mounted the new PR3 on the rear.  The middle of the old one really felt soft and easy to push in  :-\

[/quote]

[/quote]
That's like the guys on the Gold Wing board, they spend $25,000 for a motorcycle and try and save $5.00 on an aftermarket FRAM oil filter.