• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Question: Throttlemeister on 2011 Heated Grips

mikew

Bicycle
I did some searches here and abroad but nothing conclusive or unanimous. Anyone installed them?  What did you do to get the plastic sleeve inside the factory heated grip?  Manufacturer says turn them on high (but only works while running at normal speed) and some others have used hair dryer to soften the glue.

Comments appreciated.

I can't comment about the C-14 grips but I had the same problem with my C-10 using Hot Grips. I left the plastic sleeve off and instead put a plastic washer between the grip and throttlemeister. Its been working fine for several years now. I think its important to just have a smooth plastic surface for the throttlemeister to snug up to. I can see if you tried to snug up to a rubber grip that it might not hold the tension or wear on the end of the grip. Thats my personal experience. Mark

I used the Kaoko throttle lock on my 2011. It works using the same principle as the Throttlemeister, except there isn't a sleeve so there isn't anything to interfere with the heated grip. ;D

I installed the Throttlemeister on 2011 Heated Grips.  I left off the sleeve, and while the instructions say to have the contact point be the plastic sleeve, I tried it by having the contact be with the end of the rubber grip.  I figured if it didn't hold properly, I would make adjustments.

It works fine contacting the end of the rubber grip, and there is no slippage whatsoever so far. 

I did spend time using different combinations of the supplied washers to get the correct contact however.  I used a dial caliper to measure the thickness of the washers (they supply a few different ones), so when trying different combinations there was no guessing.

Peter

Thanks to all that replied. I'm on the fence about inserting the sleeve into a relatively brand new motorcycle with factory heated grip. Instructions saynto turn grip on high so gluenis more pliable. Seems perfect for a non-heated.

Glenn said:
I used the Kaoko throttle lock on my 2011. It works using the same principle as the Throttlemeister, except there isn't a sleeve so there isn't anything to interfere with the heated grip. ;D
I looked up the Kaoko because of your post. Looks pretty slick. I think I'll order one instead of a throttlemeister. :)

Drew said:
I also left out the plastic sleeve (per the instructions) and the throttlemeister works great on my 11.

Wasn't quite clear on that so I emailed thottlemeister (no reply).  That works although still concerned about pressure on a grip with wires. Thanks for the reply.

Sparkie said:
I can't comment about the C-14 grips but I had the same problem with my C-10 using Hot Grips. I left the plastic sleeve off and instead put a plastic washer between the grip and throttlemeister. Its been working fine for several years now. I think its important to just have a smooth plastic surface for the throttlemeister to snug up to. I can see if you tried to snug up to a rubber grip that it might not hold the tension or wear on the end of the grip. Thats my personal experience. Mark

Thinking about doing the same. Did you just glue it on to the grip end?

I installed throttlemeister on C14 with heated grips..  no plastic sleeve needed, just use enough shims to have it tighten against the grip..  no sweat.

Mike said:
Sparkie said:
I had the same problem with my C-10 using Hot Grips. I left the plastic sleeve off and instead put a plastic washer between the grip and throttlemeister. Its been working fine for several years now. I think its important to just have a smooth plastic surface for the throttlemeister to snug up to.

Thinking about doing the same. Did you just glue it on to the grip end?
No glue needed. The washer is sandwiched in between. It just protects the end of the grip. Mark

Just reinforcing what has been said here above. . .  this set of the Throttlemeisters were actually easier to install than the ones I put on my '08. As other have said, you do not need the plastic sleeve device; you do need to get the shim stacks worked out (not hard at all). I used a large drive socket and light hammer to <gently> tap the assembly completely into position on the handlebar so the friction feature fits the plastic edge of the throttle control sleeve perfectly. Works perfectly. Probably spent less than 30 minutes doing both sides.