• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Quick Drying Touring Sock Recommendations

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
Hi All, Going on a 17 day tour in a couple of weeks and am looking for recommendations on a comfortable quick drying(overnight) touring sock? I am looking for Compression socks that are quick drying also? Probably going to buy 2-4 pair.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Russ

Look for knee high diabetic socks. They come in different levels of compression but most stores that have them carry either the 30 or 50 MmHg rated ones. If your going to be riding all day get the 50's. They are hard to get on and off, dry fast (nylon), lower foot swelling and light weight. Usually come in white or black.

Most motels have hair dryers. After washing it I stick the sock over the dryer and let her blow for a while. Dries out in no time.

I use mid-weight Wigwam merino wool blend socks year round. They dry in no time without hair dryers and don't hold on to odor. These are not compression socks, though.

Just a suggestion learned in basic training, wash, roll them up in a dry towel and wring the towel as tight as you can. They will almost be dry enough to wear but will easily dry over-night..

17 days huh and you wash your socke....!?  No wonder my wife wants a second room.  ;D

We once did a 23 day bicycle tour all over the Alps, carried 16 Lb. each. Almost anything will dry overnight using the above trick.

I found these at TJ MAxx about 5 years ago. Breathe well, wash out quick, dry fast....any time I see them at 3.99 a pair I grab 2 or 3 sets. Mild compression for all day riding and they are indestructible as they are a poly pro blend. I did not like the Diabetic socks out of dry wick or bamboo material ....soft enough but more are a bit too thick for being on the bike. 
under-armour-1pr-youth-over-the-calf-all-sport-socks-heatgear-white-yl-nwt-f0c6c531a98402a1aa91f4f28234df6a.jpg

Scup said:

I have a full set of upper and lower tights arriving today for my WY trip.

I almost got some socks, but I decided to run normal socks.  I will likely have some LD socks for next trip.

ETA: Got my shirt and pant set in today and they fit perfect.

I also run synthetic base layers from First Gear, multi blend shirts from REI. This is the first set of technical socks I have ever bought.

As noted above I have actually gotten into the shower at the end of a ride with my base layers on to clean them. Then wrap in a towel, squeeze and hand dry over a chair or hanger. This can be done with most undergarments.

Thank you all for responding! I think now I can make a good decision on what I want to wear! Forgot about rolling up clothes and socks in a dry towel....that is a great tip that I will use since I really want to pack light. Not sure I like over the calf socks but from what I read it is good for your circulation. Do not know until you try them!

Anymore great products for me to check?  Otherwise Thank you again!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Question about the ldcomfort shorts, is there a fly behind that rectangular patch on the front or will I need to avoid drinking fluids with breakfast?  :??:

Heel2d said:
Question about the ldcomfort shorts, is there a fly behind that rectangular patch on the front or will I need to avoid drinking fluids with breakfast?  :??:

Yes there is, LOL!

:great: