• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Quick J-box question-2 actually, but quick ones

Strawboss

Real quick, I promise. I've deduced that my j-box took a crap, and all I need is a quick answer for when I install the new one. I did some research and it looks like from my shop manual and from what I read in the archived threads that its a true "plug and play". Any special way of unplugging the 2 plugs, other than straight out, that will get me in trouble since one looks like it has a sort of locking mechanism on it? Does the battery need to be unconnected while installing? Thats it. I got lucky and it went in my buddies driveway, only 65 miles from home though. New one coming Monday or Tuesday. Thanks in advance.

Dave, it is plug and play. You can leave the batt connected but key off. The 2 plugs just have a tab to press and wiggle them out. Make sure not to pull on the wires. A little pocket screw driver is real good for applying some extra pressure if needed. make sure the connectors in the plugs are clean, maybe hit them with some WD40 or silicone before you plug in the new one. Start engine and enjoy !!

ALWAYS disconnect your battery when working on electrical matter, unless you have spare circuit fuses and want to learn by experimenting.

Not to thread-jack, but I am looking for a spare J-box to keep on the bike. Is the one that has the 1091 part number the only one that will fit? ('05). I can't seem to locate a spare at a decent price, and I'm too new to COG to know how to go about beefing up my own. I heard and saw too many J-box horror stories at the National, now I think I really need to put a spare on the bike....

Jenn, I've used both part number J-Box on the Connie (a '99 at the time) I believe the labeling for the fuses are different, but both will work. I'll have to go dig thru my garage to see if my 'spare' is the older p/n or not.

Thanks guys, should get it today. I had to replace a washer thats on the battery connection so I'll need to disconnect battery anyhow.

I do have one of the J-boxes with the 26021-1096 part number (it's a spare for the hubby's W650), but the connectors are completely different than on my '05. It won't fit. Is there yet another number?

I will be offering a rebuilding service for J boxes. Waiting for my relay order to come in. Details will be on the website later this week. Thanks for the bandwidth. Larry Buck COG 3451,SE-AD (Retired)Concourier C-10 Tech Editor ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Its not the j-box. Its either the starter or starter relay, I don't think its the starter button. I turn on the ignition, the j-box sputters and clicks, I get lights, I push the starter button and the starter relay clicks loud once and the lights go out. I was able to push start it and at least get home, when it started, everything worked perfectly. I hope its not the starter. Can't you just remove the air box to get the starter out instead of remove the alternator which requires you to remove the cam chain tensioner? Anybody?

I owned an auto electric shop for 26 years--You are describing a low voltage/poor connection. The voltage is high enough to light the lights, but can't handle the load of the starter. So, either your battery is dead (not likely), or you have a corroded connection (most likely a battery cable-ck both ends of the pos & neg cables). I asssume you are saying ALL the lights go out when the starter engages--the headlight is designed to go out during cranking. Don Don Marysville, WA 87 C10 170K & ready to go!
ConnieMap.jpg

Battery is my guess. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Yes, all lights go out. My battery charger says the battety has a full charge, battery is one year old. Thats the first thing I checked. Theres a parts store down the street though that checks batteries, I'll try there. Thanks, I'll update you.

Key word here, load test. Battery showed charged but load test zero. Well after checking all the things that may be wrong if it wasn't the battery, at least I now know they are ok. Next time, try jumping it and if you can't do that try to bump start it first before suspecting anything else. I used to have batteries 5-6 years, now with these new "non-spill" gel mat pieces of crap, we are lucky to get 2 years.

Its not the j-box. Its either the starter or starter relay, I don't think its the starter button. I turn on the ignition, the j-box sputters and clicks, I get lights, I push the starter button and the starter relay clicks loud once and the lights go out. Your battery has bit the dust. Trust me. Put/clip a voltmeter directly on the battery posts. If it has min/max capability, activate that so you can capture what is about to happen. Read the voltage. Probably sez 12.something. Turn on the ignition. Monitoring the voltmeter, Hit the starter. Chances are it will drop waaay low, then slowly creep back up. Welcome to the world of Yuasa and all the companies it private labels to.

I did some research and it looks like from my shop manual and from what I read in the archived threads that its a true plug and play." The boxes are plug and play - however - the post '93 model had a change in the wiring harness. They moved some circuits so the later model required a 15 amp fuse, instead of the 10 amper that used to reside in the same position (upper LH corner IIRC. The only differences in the boxes is the rating of the fuse, and the label in the cover that describes its curent rating. Otherwise, they are all the same and will work in all model years.... not including the C14, of course.

Per my previous post, rebuilt J-boxes are now in stock and can be purchased on an exchange basis, ie. no down time. I can rebuild your J-box also. Full details on my website. Thanks for the bandwidth. Larry Buck COG 3451,SE-AD (Retired)Concourier C-10 Tech Editor ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Per my previous post, rebuilt J-boxes are now in stock and can be purchased on an exchange basis, ie. no down time. I can rebuild your J-box also. Full details on my website. Whose relay did you wind up using?? I was using ones made by Song Chuan that had a 15A @ 14vdc contact rating.

Dave, I have an Odyssey AGM battery that I got in June 2005 that had a 3yr replacement warranty, and it's still going strong- even with all the winter use. I only have to put it on the Tender when I'm not going to ride for a week or longer. What brand did you have? :quest: Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

Those are the relays I am using. Larry Buck COG 3451,SE-AD (Retired)Concourier C-10 Tech Editor ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

The same thing happen to me at 11pm 23 miles from home. Thank you who ever put out the info about the AMA offering road service on the forum. I got my card 3 days before so the tow cost nothing. I pulled the wires off the starter solenoid and using a dremmel tool cleaned the contacts, put it all back together using dielectric grease and its worked fine ever since.