• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rack for mounting a trunk

Mac97

Big Wheel
I just bought a 2 helmet sized Givi knock off trunk, that comes off the bike like a suitcase, figuring its mounting bracket would just mount on the Connies tail rack.  It sort of does, but not very well and it sits lower than it should to work as an effective back rest.
Does anybody know of a substantial rack that supports a trunk well?

I used some washers under my rack to raise the rear end of it, as it sat at an angle I didn't like.  You might be able to fabricate some "spacers" out of 2x4 hollow steel, etc.  Can paint them black.  I know my Givi backrest works great.  Good luck

Mark

If you can fabricate i.e..layout, cut, weld...etc. get some angle and make your own.  Thats what I did.  There was a post on the old forum about using nylon cutting boards, which is also what I did.  I like my mount better than anything I've seen so far.  There isn't much to it, if you can do the forementioned.  If not find a buddy that can.  My trunk will give way before the mount will.

The way I mounted my aftermarket box is to buy the Top Rail Mounting Rails from Murphs (under the luggage header).  They are preformed, have all the holes drilled to fit in the slot where the factory (useless) rack goes.  The mounting bracket for your box attached to the Rails.  Took about 15 minutes to complete.  It is very sturdy and brings the box up to the proper height of the seat for the backrest.

I used the cutting board method on my JCW top case.  I used the cut-off piece of cutting board to cut out some spacers for the rear-most screws.  Sits up fine.

Just noticed today one of the screws backed out almost 1".  The upside was that it was only gonna back out as far as the case would let it.  Didn't cause a problem

You'll have to buy longer bolts for mounting everything up....take the original ones to the hardware store to match them up, so you can re-use the nuts....as for spacers, just buy some hard, nylon, washers, and stack up as many as you need to align the mounting rails at the proper angle to keep the mounting plate for the trunk level. No matter who you buy the trunk from, the mounting instructions are usually pretty worthless--a lot of trial & error gets it done.  OH! One more thing! To depend on the latching mechanism to hold the trunk to the plate (especially with a passenger leaning on it) is not a very wise move....drill a hole through everything, (the TRUNK, too!)[size=12pt] and run at least one bolt through everything--forget about taking it off-you'll be further ahead than watching your clothes getting scattered all over the road, because you trusted the Chinese engineers to design something RIGHT![/size]

With the idea of lower CG I wanted the box to be as low as possible.
So removed the stock rack and used the stock mount holes with drilling matching holes in rack that came with the box.