• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Radar

I use a Uniden R1 and recently got an R4. It depends alot on where its used. The 4 is a lot quieter than the 1 but I ride mostly rural and watch my speeds in town.
Ok thanks. I really wanted something that would play through my cardo. R8 is almost $1000. I wonder if it’s worth it. There’s so many options how do you choose. I’m not really worried about the highway just side/backroad’s l.

Ok thanks. I really wanted something that would play through my cardo. R8 is almost $1000. I wonder if it’s worth it. There’s so many options how do you choose. I’m not really worried about the highway just side/backroad’s l.
4 has a tad more range. 8 has arrows. I bought a 4 for $350. Both are bt but you need to run highway radar app to use that. Need an android phone.

just gonna leave this here.... heheeheeee lol

The way I see it there just gonna be like well i couldn’t get a reading but my visual observation blah blah blah. It’s for the Cbr1100xx black bird not the Connie.

The way I see it there just gonna be like well i couldn’t get a reading but my visual observation blah blah blah. It’s for the Cbr1100xx black bird not the Connie.
Check out rdforum.org. It is my second favorite forum. So much more to countermeasures than meets the eye. Also vortex radar. He also has a lot of youtube videos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230621-183641.png
    Screenshot_20230621-183641.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 52
Check out rdforum.org. It is my second favorite forum. So much more to countermeasures than meets the eye. Also vortex radar. He also has a lot of youtube videos.
+1. Good info in both places. It would be helpful to read up on what works and doesn't work from them.

So my thoughts on using a Uniden DFR9 for the past couple years...

If you live in a rural area and are often by yourself...you're screwed. Better to leave it off the bike. If you're pulled over with a radar detector on the bike, what might've gotten you a warning will now become a full fledged ticket.

In the older and more rural areas, they will often use constant-on radar. You'll get used to how that sounds over time. I've picked up KA band radar from miles away. But that was in a fairly flat area in Idaho. As I approached the LEO, the signal strength increased. Instant on radar will potentially be your problem. If there's some traffic, you'll get a notification of a radar transmission that is very intermittent as the LEO targets other cars. But if you're all out there alone...there's no warning. Open your wallet.

Laser detectors let you be the second person to know you're getting a ticket. Think on that one for a moment.

I live in a suburb with a lot of traffic. I find that satellite TV antennas send out a signal on the KA band. If you're using your RD daily, you get used to where these show up and can ignore them. I also find the RD warning doesn't come on gradually. It is full-on warning mode, then will often jump through 2-4 other frequency bands in rapid fire succession.

You can spend a fortune on the latest and greatest radar detectors...or do like I did and pick up one that is at the 95 percentile or so and costs far less. Costco sold the Uniden DFR9. Performance was actually very close at the time to the top of the line Uniden model. But the cost was far less. I think I'd like the directional arrows from a gadget freak perspective, but really they are not needed. If you get a warning, you need to slow down...now. Not look at the arrows to see if it really is an LEO in the neighboring suburb to the side...or someone who is already reading your speed.

As I said earlier, I live in a high traffic area. For the most part, I go with the flow of the traffic. But I travel on two roads that are prone to having speeders and LEOs. I'm just hoping to get some advance warning of a radar trap ahead and let someone else be the rabbit. I also ride occasionally with Charlie Gary, who has a radar detector of his own. I figure by the time his goes off, I might get enough warning to slow down and not get a ticket too. It's called risk management.

Last thought...don't ignore K band. Mazdas use is for their proximity warning...and so do rural county sheriffs.

Chris

+1. Good info in both places. It would be helpful to read up on what works and doesn't work from them.

So my thoughts on using a Uniden DFR9 for the past couple years...

If you live in a rural area and are often by yourself...you're screwed. Better to leave it off the bike. If you're pulled over with a radar detector on the bike, what might've gotten you a warning will now become a full fledged ticket.

In the older and more rural areas, they will often use constant-on radar. You'll get used to how that sounds over time. I've picked up KA band radar from miles away. But that was in a fairly flat area in Idaho. As I approached the LEO, the signal strength increased. Instant on radar will potentially be your problem. If there's some traffic, you'll get a notification of a radar transmission that is very intermittent as the LEO targets other cars. But if you're all out there alone...there's no warning. Open your wallet.

Laser detectors let you be the second person to know you're getting a ticket. Think on that one for a moment.

I live in a suburb with a lot of traffic. I find that satellite TV antennas send out a signal on the KA band. If you're using your RD daily, you get used to where these show up and can ignore them. I also find the RD warning doesn't come on gradually. It is full-on warning mode, then will often jump through 2-4 other frequency bands in rapid fire succession.

You can spend a fortune on the latest and greatest radar detectors...or do like I did and pick up one that is at the 95 percentile or so and costs far less. Costco sold the Uniden DFR9. Performance was actually very close at the time to the top of the line Uniden model. But the cost was far less. I think I'd like the directional arrows from a gadget freak perspective, but really they are not needed. If you get a warning, you need to slow down...now. Not look at the arrows to see if it really is an LEO in the neighboring suburb to the side...or someone who is already reading your speed.

As I said earlier, I live in a high traffic area. For the most part, I go with the flow of the traffic. But I travel on two roads that are prone to having speeders and LEOs. I'm just hoping to get some advance warning of a radar trap ahead and let someone else be the rabbit. I also ride occasionally with Charlie Gary, who has a radar detector of his own. I figure by the time his goes off, I might get enough warning to slow down and not get a ticket too. It's called risk management.

Last thought...don't ignore K band. Mazdas use is for their proximity warning...and so do rural county sheriffs.

Chris
Instant on is deadly if there is no traffic. If they all run Ka constant on I would never get a ticket.

K band is easy to ignore. I was going through a small town in Eastern Washington. The K band came on as a slow weak signal. I thought maybe it was a grocery store or a Mazda. I almost ignored it and sped up a bit, but didn't. I was rewarded a few minutes later with the local sheriff's car coming around the corner with constant on K band. It's hardly used anymore, except out in the rural communities where the budget doesn't allow for getting newer radar guns.

I try to keep in mind that my radar detector is not a license to speed. For me, it is a toy that might keep me from getting a ticket.

Chris

I've run radar and even old units have instant on which emits no traceable signal for a detector to warn about. If the trooper is focused and not distracted he/she will watch traffic for a vehicle the trooper can tell is speeding - then hit the instant on and then lock. You can't slow down fast enough. Some sensitive detectors detect everything - store doors included - not only will a person wear out brakes and get horrible gas mileage with all the false alarms but one could trigger road rage from surrounding traffic annoyed by brake checks and slow/fast riding.
As a recalcitrant driver/rider towards speed limits on open roads I do pretty well averaging one ticket every 3-4 years now. Much grief can be avoided by these practices or life situations :
1) A wife that doesn't ask why I'm driving/riding so fast or carry on endlessly when I get pinched.
2) Watch traffic ahead. Brake lights might mean the traffic ahead sees a cruiser. Go with the flow, and if there's a fast driver let him lead (at a respectable distance).;
3) Know the laws of the state you're riding in. Example; Virginia 20 mph over is criminal speeding
4) Understand that police usually have a threshold speed - in Maine it's about 83/65. New York 75/65
5) Realize that if you are stopped a visible or audible radar detector guarantees you will not get a warning
6) Realize that aircraft can check speed without radar. I've gotten at least 4 speeding tickets radioed in by a pilot.

I've run radar and even old units have instant on which emits no traceable signal for a detector to warn about. If the trooper is focused and not distracted he/she will watch traffic for a vehicle the trooper can tell is speeding - then hit the instant on and then lock. You can't slow down fast enough. Some sensitive detectors detect everything - store doors included - not only will a person wear out brakes and get horrible gas mileage with all the false alarms but one could trigger road rage from surrounding traffic annoyed by brake checks and slow/fast riding.
As a recalcitrant driver/rider towards speed limits on open roads I do pretty well averaging one ticket every 3-4 years now. Much grief can be avoided by these practices or life situations :
1) A wife that doesn't ask why I'm driving/riding so fast or carry on endlessly when I get pinched.
2) Watch traffic ahead. Brake lights might mean the traffic ahead sees a cruiser. Go with the flow, and if there's a fast driver let him lead (at a respectable distance).;
3) Know the laws of the state you're riding in. Example; Virginia 20 mph over is criminal speeding
4) Understand that police usually have a threshold speed - in Maine it's about 83/65. New York 75/65
5) Realize that if you are stopped a visible or audible radar detector guarantees you will not get a warning
6) Realize that aircraft can check speed without radar. I've gotten at least 4 speeding tickets radioed in by a pilot.
Faksing can't be eliminated but can be minimized through the settings on the good detector. Good range can also help with instant on if there is traffic. Ideally one should always have a rabbit but that isn't possible in a lot of roads I ride.

There are two apps available that I use that also notify you of suspicious aircraft ie those used for traffic control.
I have not been stopped on the bike but my hope is I can get my helmet off and set it over top of the detector mounted on the bars before it is seen. Good advice on not getting to crazy on speeds. I generally check laws ahead of time in states I plan to travel through and unless I have a rabbit try and stay about 8 over.

Free and not very helpful in the areas I mostly ride, low population density, rural roads.
YOU mean riding with a social app driven by contributions of users in an area where no one is there to "share" does not work? I will stick with my TPX or Valentine One

There's a really simple answer...let someone else go ahead and follow them. The can be the rabbit for the hounds.

Chris

There's a really simple answer...let someone else go ahead and follow them. The can be the rabbit for the hounds.

Chris
Thats the safest but when there is not another vehicle in sight you either have to have some restraint or take your chances.

Thats the safest but when there is not another vehicle in sight you either have to have some restraint or take your chances.
What’s restraint? LOL

Luckily we’ve been ignored. I also think riding two-up gets us off - e.g. not some single punk kid on a loud fat ninja…

Last performance award was ~5 years ago on the BRP. Only a warning, nice dude, told us “I’ll give you 15 mph, over that I have to ask what-up… Have a fun and safe day.”

Wayne, Carol & Blue

YOU mean riding with a social app driven by contributions of users in an area where no one is there to "share" does not work?
Wonder if our local LEOs report their locations themselves...or maybe not....sure does slow down traffic without having to write tickets...

Wonder if our local LEOs report their locations themselves...or maybe not....sure does slow down traffic without having to write tickets...
I have heard that it happens.You wil get notice if its confirmed by another user. I would rather not take the chance

Trooper buddy of mine ( long retired) said when he was training the training officer who was about to retire,,told him " son..your job is to enforce the law...park this car where people can see you and slow down, you're doing a dam good job . "

Back in the 90s I read "The Speeders Guide to Avoiding Tickets."

-Always let someone Rabbit
- Drive in te right lane when possible....let the left lane bandits absorb the radar
-Understand the dangers of speeding when you are the only one out there. (this morning a 50 mile shot on vacant Indiana Roads reminded me how naked you are)
-If you get dinged .....be VERY polite

Nope, never. With the invention of the cell phone all the dudley do rights, would.feel.the need to notify all those following whatever stupid apt support that activity. Before then the dudleys would flash headlights warning oncoming vehicles.of the potential danger zone. Best part of that was having a brother down the road who would stop.the flashers and ticket them for flashing/oscillating lights. That's what we called a mind your own business ticket....

Nope, never. With the invention of the cell phone all the dudley do rights, would.feel.the need to notify all those following whatever stupid apt support that activity. Before then the dudleys would flash headlights warning oncoming vehicles.of the potential danger zone. Best part of that was having a brother down the road who would stop.the flashers and ticket them for flashing/oscillating lights. That's what we called a mind your own business ticket....
Dont like speeders eh? 😄

Dont like speeders eh? 😄
My personal threshold was 13+ over, for radar or laser. If I'm rolling u don't dare pass me cuz im doing 5-10 over. Before I retired cell phone enforcement became a priority, and we were always in the top 5% for grant money's for selected enforcement initiatives. Speed seat belts and cell phones..

..and yes I could be talked out of a Performance citation...lol. and also talked into one as well!!

My personal threshold was 13+ over, for radar or laser. If I'm rolling u don't dare pass me cuz im doing 5-10 over. Before I retired cell phone enforcement became a priority, and we were always in the top 5% for grant money's for selected enforcement initiatives. Speed seat belts and cell phones..

..and yes I could be talked out of a Performance citation...lol. and also talked into one as well!!
I would be happy with 13 over! Distracted driving or speeding recklessly are dangerous for others. I only crack it open out in the boondocks.I cannot see any reason not to buckle up.

13 is good and the cell phone enforcement is paramount. Our Indiana guys pass people with the cell to their left ear and don't bat an eye but will pull right through the median and flip the car around to ticket anyone 7 over. When I ask them the rationale they say "speed kills".....

I try really hard to not text while riding. I find it hard to type while going down the road.

Reactions: Bud