• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Radiator Fan - Warranty Question

jlw1829

Big Wheel
I recently took my '10 Concours in to have the cooling system checked out.  During stop and go traffic, the engine was overheating and it turned out that the right side radiator fan was seized up and blowing the fuse.  The shop contacted Kawasaki and they stated that they did not consider it to be a manufacturing issue since there was evidence of a small rock being lodged in the fan.  I recognize that the radiator is exposed, but the fans are on the back side of the radiator protected from the front wheel kick back.  Does anyone have any similar experiences and am I right to consider that the fan should be replaced under warranty.  (not that it matters in this case, but I have the extended warranty through 2017).  Thanks in advance for any advice.

In my opinion. Yes it should absolutely be covered under warranty. What will they say if the engine has problems? You got dirt past your air filter!  I would complain about that. It is their design and product that failed.  It's bad enough that they say that steering head bearings that wear out with fairly low mileage, is a wear item and will not be replaced. But at least in that case, you can almost understand.

Remember the recall from rocks getting lodged the the brake pedal. Do I sense a double standard?

gsun said:
Remember the recall from rocks getting lodged the the brake pedal. Do I sense a double standard?

The rocks on the rear brake pedal was more of a safety hazard.

Hypothetically, overheating, spewing antifreeze on the ground. That the rear tire may travel through. That wouldn't be a possible safety hazard?  And unlike the rock shield, the fan will not keep rocks in place, (like has happened to folks already) keeping the rear brake from functioning properly, or overheating.  ;)

El Capetain,
OI don’t think this would be a winnable offence. All you have to do is speed up and get more air through the Rad.

I understand the desire to get Kawasaki to foot the bill. They are very proud of the fan assy. Almost but not quite $450.00.

I wonder if BMW has stock in this?

Actually I was thinking more about sitting at a traffic light (or similar) and then start moving (when it's overheating). Maybe looking for a place to pull over. Like I said, hypothetical. There are plenty of scenarios that "could possibly" apply. What made me think about this was that my 2003 C10 did this very thing years ago. In that case it turned out to just be a blown fuse and went right back to work once the fuse was replaced. What caused it, who knows. But it's what came to mind when I came up with that. Your right though. The C14 at speed should have sufficient air flow to keep the bike relatively cool. It's stopping and starting that more worries me.

Thanks for the replies.  I agree with Cap, as the issue only surfaces when I am in stop and go traffic.  When I am moving, there is no issue with overheating.  I plan on calling Kawi Monday to discuss the issue.  The shop gave me the incident log number that was assigned when they spoke with them on Friday.  He stated that Kawi offered to cover the part, but not the labor to install the new fan assembly.  Pretty sure I won't have much luck convincing them to cover the labor as well, but it can't hurt to try.  I still think this is a design/manufacturing issue, as 1) the fan is in a somewhat protected area (i.e. torturous path for a rock to make it to the fan), and 2) the small chip / rock that was found should not have been able to freeze up the fan motor, hence my thought that I have a defective fan assembly. 

The mechanic suggested the Murphs fender extender might help with some of the kickback on the radiator, and I have placed my order through Murphs.  Thanks again for the feedback.  Will let you know what Kawi has to say.

Murph's Fenda Extender and I havent yet had a chance to check but I also put a Cox Radiator Guard on my FJR that helps.
Kinda like nice, anodized chicken wire to further protect your radiator.
I have to check and see if they have one for the C14.