• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rain Gear ?

who me?

Looking at getting some rain gear Something that will go over my jacket not soak my crotch Thinking Frogg Toggs
Anything stand out significantly better?
Thoughts?
OBTW need to do this before RWTW

Frog Toggs work for me. I'm told not the best, but the weather protection on the Councours is great so they keep me dry everytime. They roll up into a small bundle too.

Frogg Toggs come in at least 3 many different grades/prices.  I bought what I thought were the heavy ones at Dunhams Sports.  My crotch AND my chest got soaked.  Not happy.  Be sure to buy motorcycle Frogg Toggs.  I do know people that are happy with them. 

Flat-spot said:
Frogg Toggs come in at least 3 different grades/prices.  Be sure to buy motorcycle Frogg Toggs.  I do know people that are happy with them.
10-4 all the way, I payed 59.99 at a motorcycle shop in 2010, they have never let me down. 100% dry all the time.
Cheers
Ron

Waterproof pants and boots always - so all I ever need is rain liner for jacket and rain gloves.

I got a suit from Cycle Gear, very happy with it and it works really well. I think it was $99 and contrary to most of the Bilt stuff it is made well. The Bilt line is hit and miss most of the time.

I always carry my Tourmaster rain top and Pants. Around $200 . I think it was called the sentinel.
Fits great over all the gear, but most of the time all that is needed is the water proof liner in the jacket, mesh or cordura.
The protection from the bike itself is quite good.
I bit the dust and bought a pair of Goretex Alpenstar boots. Best purchase ever.

Another plus to carrying the Frogg Toggs, is they can warm you up in a pinch.  A few times I found myself with not enough layers on a long ride.  I usually ride way too long thinking it will warm up, before going to the Froggs.  They help a lot. 

Ranger Jim said:
Wearing an Aerostitch means never having to stop to put on a rain suit.  :great:  :)

+100 :great:
funny tho, when its really hot out, and you have it unzipped half way, and stupidly ride into a tornado as I dad last month....because it didn't look nasty until we were in the middle... I was drenched in 30 seconds with 50 mph sidewinds and hail, before I could get it zipped up....
heheheh
only dry spot I had was my seat...
but it was al good.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread,  but do any of you tall guys have a recommendation for something that actually fits ? 

I'm 6'7"  with a 37" inseam (in jeans sizes), but almost everything in the various brand's size charts is at least 3" too short    :-\

Ive got a stitch its just too hot to wear and too bulky to pack in the summer
The frogg toggs are packable ,the cycle gear has them and I can stop there on the way home and make sure I get the right size
I wasnt sure if something else was out there that is the end all be all
Thanks
PS fell free to hijack away

LinuxGuyGary said:
I don't want to hi-jack this thread,  but do any of you tall guys have a recommendation for something that actually fits ? 

I'm 6'7"  with a 37" inseam (in jeans sizes), but almost everything in the various brand's size charts is at least 3" too short    :-\

If you want to spend a lot for the very best you can order Motoport. They only make pants and jackets to order. 100% Kevlar and I love my jacket. I have a short torso and having a jacket taylor made was too cool.
https://www.motoport.com
I got clued into Motoport by a 6'8" COGger - Seagiant -

For your 'standard issue' rain, Frogg Toggs are adequate.  Rode through an hour of torrential downpours on the
way to the SE Spring Rally, and wind driven rain soaked my left side purdy good.  Cars were doing 25-30 mph on
I-10... it was a good soakin'.  I'm still gearing up with Motorcycle Frogg Toggs for the next rally....and booties.
Passing the cars on I-10 got my right foot SOAKED!  But them thar skinny Avons easily did better than 30 in that
rain.  :motonoises:

who me? said:
Looking at getting some rain gear Something that will go over my jacket not soak my crotch Thinking Frogg Toggs
Thoughts?

who me?,   
        I bought a two piece rain suit from cycle gear for about $59.00. The first time I put it on when it started raining here I found out that the only thing that gets wet on a C-10 is my gloves and boots, as long as the bike is moving. It came with boot covers, I did not really get wet at all for about 60 miles until home.

who me? is cool  :great: :great: :great:

ACISROC said:
who me? said:
Thoughts?

who me?,   
        I bought a two piece rain suit from cycle gear for about $59.00. The first time I put it on when it started raining here I found out that the only thing that gets wet on a C-10 is my gloves and boots, as long as the bike is moving. It came with boot covers, I did not really get wet at all for about 60 miles until home.

Wheres my daughter Im Cool ACISROC said so  She wont believe me  :great:

MAN OF BLUES said:
Ranger Jim said:
Wearing an Aerostitch means never having to stop to put on a rain suit.  :great:  :)

+100 :great:
funny tho, when its really hot out, and you have it unzipped half way, and stupidly ride into a tornado as I dad last month....because it didn't look nasty until we were in the middle... I was drenched in 30 seconds with 50 mph sidewinds and hail, before I could get it zipped up....
heheheh
only dry spot I had was my seat...
but it was al good.

You obviously don't remember that a "stich" in time saves ......... ;)

If you want to spend a lot for the very best you can order Motoport. They only make pants and jackets to order. 100% Kevlar and I love my jacket. I have a short torso and having a jacket taylor made was too cool.

Thanks Fais,  :great:    their rain gear seems within my budget,  I'll dig a bit deeper there ..

LinuxGuyGary said:

Aerostich will also build for those who are outside the standard size. 

Fais said:
LinuxGuyGary said:

Actually Fais, Motoport's prices are pretty reasonable considering.  I spent close to $200 on Frogg Togg Pilot raingear, which is the
top of their line.  Their Pilot line is some nice quality kit...  I'm hoping I'm just lugging it along to RWTW, but feel confident it's up
to the task.  At 6'4"+ this gear fits over my mesh riding gear comfortably. 

4Bikes said:
Another plus to carrying the Frogg Toggs, is they can warm you up in a pinch.  A few times I found myself with not enough layers on a long ride.  I usually ride way too long thinking it will warm up, before going to the Froggs.  They help a lot.

Can't say it any better.

Frogg Toggs,,, Have had many others through the years.  There is nothing that compares.  Riding in south Florida in the rainy season you ride from rain shower to rain shower. 
With the FT they breath so well that I don't have to shed them between rain showers. :beerchug:

who me? said:
ACISROC said:
who me? said:
Thoughts?

who me?,   

Wheres my daughter Im Cool ACISROC said so  She wont believe me  :great:

who me?'s daughter is even cooler  :great: :great: :great:  :))

One piece BMW rain suit. Made to go over your gear and it's made of some sort of material that stretches a bit. No seams to leak at like a two piece suit and it packs tight.

I swore "NEVER AGAIN!" will I stop on the side of the road or an underpass to put on rain gear.
I had Frog Toggs, once piece , two piece, multi piece suits.. ALL JUNK compared to  Stitch gear.
Now I ALWAYS have my rain gear on, always !! and I tossed all of the above in the garbage. Those that have good gear know what good gear is- those that never have had good gear on  do not know what good gear really is. (Stitch, Klim, Motoport)
Just saying is all.  :beerchug: :beerchug:

My friend said it best: 'There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad riding gear.'

Daytona_Mike said:
I swore "NEVER AGAIN!" will I stop on the side of the road or an underpass to put on rain gear.
I had Frog Toggs, once piece , two piece, multi piece suits.. ALL JUNK compared to  Stitch gear.
Now I ALWAYS have my rain gear on, always !! and I tossed all of the above in the garbage. Those that have good gear know what good gear is- those that never have had good gear on  do not know what good gear really is. (Stitch, Klim, Motoport)
Just saying is all.  :beerchug: :beerchug:

My friend said it best: 'There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad riding gear.'

:iagree: :goodpost: :great: :beerchug: