• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rain Gear

gixerhp

Street Cruiser
Industry Vendor
What are you using and why,,
Reviews, fitment, yeh or ney?

Input please,
Im leaving for Deals Gap in 2 weeks, 1100 miles one way, and will be there for a week!
Total trip should be at least 3500 miles!

I have had good luck with Frogg Toggs. Not sure of the speling but they are some what inexpensive and and are pretty tough enough to be used more than once. I got mine big enough to go over my gear. 

I agree with everything TimR said. I've had mine for maybe 10 yr.
They are finely ;leaking a bit.

I have a Bilt suit from Cycle Gear. Most of the Bilt stuff is hit and miss but it has been tested thoroughly and works really well. I think it was around $129. I dont think you can go wrong with Frog Toggs either!

Frogg Toggs makes a motorcycle specific set called Road Toad, Has reflective piping so you can be seen better plus the pants unzip to your knees to make them easier to fit over riding boots. The best thing about Frogg Togss is they are breathable so you don't sweat under them. Most rain gear is pvc which is not breathable so you sweat under them & after awhile your just as wet as if you had no rain gear  :-\ 

+1 for Frogg Toggs. Mine are the orange  reflective color I have had at leasr 10 years. Had a minor leak that was repaired free of charge  by Frogg Toggs about 4 years ago. No leaks since.

I have a set of frogg toggs pants to augment my kathmandu jacket.  I've only ridden in the rain once with this setup but it kept me nice and warm.

And bonus, the frogg toggs keep the wind off my legs in the cold and keep my legs warmer while letting my legs breath. 

http://amzn.com/B006IOMOBU

TimR said:
I have had good luck with Frogg Toggs. Not sure of the speling but they are some what inexpensive and and are pretty tough enough to be used more than once. I got mine big enough to go over my gear.

Same here.  I did add a reflective vest to the rain kit, since the Frog Togg Black Color was not visible when you likely need it the most.  Putting black over my yellow jacket did not make sense. 

4Bikes said:
TimR said:

Same here.  I did add a reflective vest to the rain kit, since the Frog Togg Black Color was not visible when you likely need it the most.  Putting black over my yellow jacket did not make sense.

I had the same pair of FRrog Toggs for 4 years and use them often. My initial pair got wet in the crotch so I took them back 11 months later. They exchanged them and I have been dry ever since. Now have to rethink with the Motoport.

Rain Dancer said:
My wife and I used Olympia rain suits. Worked really well, just don't pack as small as we would like.
That is actually an important consideration.  I have my bags on full time and always carry the rain gear.  You only notice how much room it takes up when you are packed out full for a long trip. 

A nice thing about always carrying rain gear is having an extra layer. Sometimes it's cold starting out and you ride a long time and it never warms up. It's nice to finally give in and have some warmth.

4Bikes said:
Rain Dancer said:
My wife and I used Olympia rain suits. Worked really well, just don't pack as small as we would like.
That is actually an important consideration.  I have my bags on full time and always carry the rain gear.  You only notice how much room it takes up when you are packed out full for a long trip.

My wife and i pack our clothes in one side bag, liners, rain suits, etc in the oither bag. As you said later, having them is great as an extra layer also.
We are looking at waterproof jackets to add to our gear (not just a waterproof liner). We like Canada, and we normally don't need fully vented gear for those trips! We also use compression sacks for some gear to keep it small.

Have you made a decision Gixerhp?

Competition Accessories is having a sale on Frog Togs rain gear right now. $90 suits for $49. My Frogs are still good, otherwise I'd jump on this deal.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

I didn't want to start a whole new thread for something related, but I can if you feel that would be more appropriate.

What does everyone use for their visor?  I'm looking for something like a rainX to help sheet the water off, but I know normal rainX is not for use on plastics.  While they do make one for plastics, it sounds like it's reviews are lacking.

I rode in the rain yesterday and while the frogg toggs kept my legs dry, my kathmandu kept my top dry, and the heated grips were awesome (oxford premium touring), the rain didn't bead up on my visor like I'm hoping to make it.

Thanks!