• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rain Gear

smithr

I have had a set of Frog Toggs for like 5 years. In that time I have dawned them only about 5 times on trips. They pack small and seem to work well enough. I am thinking I might need to replace them and I have never liked the color I got. Does anyone know of rain gear they like better then toggs and why? ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I just wear my 'Stich all the time and never worry about donning rain gear. :) -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

I really want to try a stich but I have not heard good thinks about using them over about 90 deg. I do half my riding in those temps some years. I have been waiting for the right used one to come along at the right price but it has not happened in a few years. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I see Frog Toggs have a number of differet suits. What model have people been getting? 2003 Concours, 46K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I also wear my 'Stich absolutely all the time, but it's not often that I ride in 90 deg. In 80+ deg., I tolerate the heat and maybe save my hide ! When moving on the bike, it's not so bad. For many years, I wore the 'Stich rain or shine. But after a couple of 10 hour rides in steady rain getting thoroughly wet, I now check the forecast in the morning and if it's supposed to be steady rain all day or heavy downpours, I add my old Rukka (20+ years) rain suit that serves me well and is totally rainproof.

I have a florescent yellow Olympia jacket that is both pretty good for hot weather and is very rainproof. For hot weather, it has a lot of zippers and vents which work at keeping you comfortable (I have worn it on 100 degree days in the desert). However, unless I wear it with a long sleeve t-shirt, my arms feel a little clammy on a hot day, even with all the zippers and vents open. I think the clamminess is due to the waterproofing and not heat. I don't have any rain pants. _____________________________________ raulb
2778924997_18b8813caf_t.jpg
2003 Connie COG #6043 CDA #281 AMA #699463 "It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are." --Red Green, "The New Red

I have the Frog Toggs recomended for motorcycling. I believe it was the Elite Highway. Used it twice worked great.

On the Frogg Toggs site they list the Elite Highway, Leep Froggs, and Pro Action suits under the motorcycle category. 2003 Concours, 46K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Per riding with a 'stich in 80-90 degrees days... My attitude is that I would rather be a little warm, than a lot road rashed. The worst was when we rode to the NE regional rally in Marlinton, WV during the summer 2003 heatwave (90-100 humid daytime temps). As long as the vents were open and we were moving I was warm, but it was not excessive. I did sweat, but had my water bladder in the pocket large front pocket. I have owned Frogg Toggs for years. I got what used to be called the Pro Angler. I is the one with bib pants. I use them mainly for rainy days when I teach MSF classes or when standing as a spectator at my son's soccer matches. I got them in 2000 after seeing how they performed for a friend (who was on a Shadow Tourer) while on a tour to Deal's Gap. While they kept him reasonably dry, there were some water entry points. 1) He wore a Seer half helmet, with the Togg hood up and inside the helmet. Even so, some rain got in from the front and ran down his chest. 2) The seated position while on the bike sometime caused a separation between the Togg jacket and pant, and rain got in at the lower back. (wearing bib Togg pant will eliminate this problem) -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

I picked up some orange colored Frogg Toggs at the Honda Hoot a couple of years ago. I ususally just wear my 'stitch. I wore the 'stitch out to the National in CO and back. Coming back home it was typically over 90*. Wore a tee-shirt and a pair of shorts under the 'stitch and was reasonably comfortalbe as long as I was moving. Got a bit warm when stopped but it was worth the peace of mind and not having to worry too much about potential showers. An Aerostitch has a lot of vents and you can get pretty good airflow through them if you open them up.

I'm so sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. I wanted a stich really I did. I ended up saving about $800 and just getting this togg that is on sale. I just could not resist the price and the style is the same as I have now just a better color and not old like mine. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=86473&deptid=&SEOTEXT=Frogg-Toggs-Action-Rainsuit-Waterproof-For-Men ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org

I'm so sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. I wanted a stich really I did. I ended up saving about $800 and just getting this togg that is on sale. I just could not resist the price and the style is the same as I have now just a better color and not old like mine.
That's a pretty good deal Bob. I bought a closeout 2 yrs ago of the Frogg Toggs "Signature Parka & Bib Pant" set from Wing Supply for about $25. I have yet to use it (surprising, considering our weather here...) but it's small enough to keep stashed in the Givi with no problem. I just know SOME DAY in the middle of a summer storm I'll be really pleased with that $25 investment! Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA

I know Bob is just "funning" about the stich and all. But to compare a set of froggys to a stich, well there ain't a comparisson other than if you maintain a rainy weather comparisson alone. This being said before I had a stich I used a set of Tourmaster rain gear (two piece Elites). Very capable and motorcycle specific designed gear. I realize the frog toggs are cheap and will do the job. I just think that for a few more bucks spent on MC specific gear you get a better value. IE: reflective stripping, wind and waterproof pockets, elastic waistband, stirrups and breathable. It will also not billow up at speed. I just think you shouldn't skimp on the type of quality you'd otherwise get with the Tourmaster stuff. Again not as cheap as the frog toggs. But, then again they are not as cheap. http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=84&cat=8 AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

On the Frogg Togg sizing. They say over sized to fit over your clothing. I am interested in fitting over the MeshTech jacket. Or is that a crazy idea. The MeshTech comes with the liner than is advertized for weather. So far I have never had to use it while wearing the mesh. But I guess I have always had this thing about stopping the rain on the OUTSIDE of the jacket and not on the INSIDE. I have been lucky enough that all my rainy weather has been Kilimanjaro weather, and works fantastic. I am nervious about MechTech rainy weather and wondering if a Frogg Togg sized to fit over the jacket would be the ticket. For $25 I can find out. Just what size to order. 2003 Concours, 46K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I am 6'1, 180-200 lb and have a large togg. It has fit over both my summer mesh and winter leather and textile jackets and over my summer mesh pants. It is a bit short in leg length when on the seat but not so much that it wants to come up over my riding boot tops. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org

I have been interested in getting some new wet weather gear, although in North Central Texas, it hasn't been much of an issue lately. I like the Tourmaster one piece suite. Looks like it's easy to get into and will keep me dry and will breath some. What I have today is basically a plastic suit that gets very hot. Also even though I got the large, it is a very tight fit over my mesh riding gear and somewhat restrictive. What is the best way to determine what size I would need? I am 5'11" and about 175lbs. Also any info on one piece verses two would be appreciated. John Ft. Worth, TX COG 6513 05 Concours

At 5'11" and 175lbs sounds like you don't have a "belly" issue, so the one piece would work. I however like the versitility of having a two piece as I regularly use the top as just a rain coat walking and at sports events. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

>>> raulb wrote on 14-Feb-09 >>>
I have a florescent yellow Olympia jacket that is both pretty good for hot weather and is very rainproof. For hot weather, it has a lot of zippers and vents which work at keeping you comfortable (I have worn it on 100 degree days in the desert). However, unless I wear it with a long sleeve t-shirt, my arms feel a little clammy on a hot day, even with all the zippers and vents open. I think the clamminess is due to the waterproofing and not heat.
Which Olympia Jacket do you have? I was considering an Olympia Men's AST as a replacement for my Aerostich Roadcrafter that got too small for me. :blush: But finances being the way they are now, it looks like I'm going to have to make the Roadcrafter bigger on me instead. :p Thanks goodness for the Dragons Way. :) Mike Aldea, COG-528 Charter Life AMA Hawthorne, NJ
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg

I've got the AST and love it. My SO followed me one night and she said the reflection from the Scotchbrite panel made it look like I had a headlight on the back of my neck. It's tough, well-vented and well-armored. It has a liner that's very weather resistant though below 40 degrees you'll need more layers underneath. In very heavy rain, I'll end up a little damp on the sleeves and center of my chest unless I go to rain specific gear. As for wearing a jacket w/no rain pants... If it's a light rain, you don't need it because Connie's fairing does the job for you, but in medium rain you have to have them because the rain will hit your helmet, roll down your chest and land in your crotch. Your torso, knees and legs will still be well protected, so when you get where you're going you look like you've peed in your pants. I guess I should also add that I picked up Nelson-Rigg's AX-1 MkII rain gear last year at NewEnough for 35 bucks I think. I've worn them 3 times since then and have been really pleased with them. They definitely make you waterproof, though afternoon storms in NC in July make you hot and sticky in any rain gear.

I was in 40 MPH wind and torrent rain on a scenic drive home in Florida. I had my Tour Master Elite suit on and I have to agree that it was well worth the money. I have used it twice in the last week, and will use it many more days now that we are in the season of rain. You know that Florida only has two seasons, one is hot, and one is rain. Only kidding, we have 6 to 8 months of perfect weather, so what's a little rain? The Tour Master Elite has lots of reflective parts. The pants zip into the jacket at the back side. The legs have zippers at the bottom of the legs, then velcro tabs to make the ankle tight fitting. The fit over my clothes fine, even my boots. The jacket zips all the way up, then velcro after that to close the zipper off from the rain.The cuffs are tight, so my Tour Master gloves cover the cuff and kep rain from going up my arm. I was hit by a palm branch that was in the wind. It was the kind of rain that most bikers would sit out, and people in cars slow down for. The Tour Master was not cheap, but I feel I got what I paid for. Massy

Frog toggs now have a hi viz jacket but although I have seen a pic of it I don't know where you could get one. I have water proof clothing but a lot of it is too hot so I always carry the Frog toggs.

On the Frogg Togg sizing. They say over sized to fit over your clothing. I am interested in fitting over the MeshTech jacket. Or is that a crazy idea. The MeshTech comes with the liner than is advertized for weather. So far I have never had to use it while wearing the mesh. But I guess I have always had this thing about stopping the rain on the OUTSIDE of the jacket and not on the INSIDE. I have been lucky enough that all my rainy weather has been Kilimanjaro weather, and works fantastic. I am nervious about MechTech rainy weather and wondering if a Frogg Togg sized to fit over the jacket would be the ticket. Sly, I'm 5-11/175 & have the XL sized Toggs over Fieldsheer mesh. They're the old style orange & are effective, esp for breathability & warm weather. Not shure of the model, lemme know if ya need it. Agreed that jackets w/ inside liners are bigtime impractical. So is separate raingear (vs a Stitch etc) but I've yet to spring fer 1. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I have had my XL's on over my summer and winter jackets and pants. It had the room I needed. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org

I've got a First Gear mesh jacket and with water proof liner, the only thing that gets wet is: chest (2" gap between the zippers on the liner), wrists (again a big gap), anything in the inside pocket of the jacket as it is outside the liner coverage. Basically the only thing the "waterproof" liner is good for is wind protection and that's not too bad. AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife Why is it that for evey 1 "making Bacon" there are 20 people eating the fat?

I was looking at the Icon line of rain gear (Motorcycle Superstore). Looks nice but its pricey. Is it worth the money? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Well I gotta report in on the Frogg Togg's. Back this Memorial weekend where I went off for my 1700mi ride, I have written up about my tire, foot peg and speedo cable. We never really did talk much about the weather. At least I dont recall. But then CRS. Thats why I come here and write it up. I understand here in WA it was a beauty. Down right nice and hot outside. And the weather forecast was nice too. In every city I checked. And I checked all the major cities for the whole route. Since it was supposed to be nice, I decided to take just the First Gear Mech Tech jack and leave the Kilimanjaro at home. Normally for a ride this far I would have taken both. Then I used the Frogg Togg top as my emercengy backup. On the bottom I stuck with my First Gear HT Over Pants. I figured that if I did hit a small patch of weather I would get to test my theory. If you recall from the posts above my theory is to stop the weather on the outside the jacket and not the inside. Anyways heading east Sat through WA, ID and into western Montana was a beauty. Sunday morning I was met with cloudy weather and looking east into the Rockies, it didnt look good. Of the 605mi I put on the Connie this day 400 of them must have been in the rain. Most of it was steady rain not too bad, with some a decent rain and one 5mi section it rained as hard as rain can rain. -- From western MT to Great Falls and back I crossed the Rockies twice. On US Hwy 12 heading east to Helena I went over the pass in 41* weather, raining, foggy with about 100 yard visibility. A real treat. There were breaks here and there, but for the most part I spend from around 10:00am to 5:00pm in the rain. I was wearing my First Gear KJ sweater, followed by the nylon liner for the Mesh Tech, the Mesh Tech jacket and the Frogg Togg on the outside. How did it perform. Completely amazing!! For something that cost me $25 on that link smithr posted, this worked far better than I ever though. Shedding the wind on the outside the jacket, versus letting it through the mesh to the liner, means the jacket now becomes insulation. I stayed plenty warm enough to not bother to stop and get out my heated vest which I was packing along. And I stayed dry too. All day. Now gloves on the other hand. 3 pairs. All soaked. What a PITA. 2linby, what are them cool one you have and like. How them in the rain. I am ready for some good gloves. 2003 Concours, 51K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I have gloves that claim to be waterproof. Now I always dubbin all my gloves as well. I can say that I hit some very heavy rain last year were most everyone else pulled off I didn't and my hands stayed dry. I don't think that the gloves untreated would have been dry but with dubbin it was ok. What I don't know is how they will be in an all day rain. But we leave Tue on a 9000 Km ride and I expect some rain so we will see. I also dubbin my boots.

I was thinking of getting some Held Steve's and wondering how they are in the all day rain. The Joe Rocket textile (not)waterproof/breathable's were ok. I wore them all morning including the mentioned Hwy 12 pass crossing and did ok with them and the grip heaters on. -- Kept the Gerbings in the trunk. -- They also have a liner of sorts inside. The annoying part was when I removed them at lunch in Helena the liner pulls out with your fingers and gets all wadded up inside. Could not get them back on. Tried blowing into them, etc. No luck. So I switched to the backup pair, and later that day to the Gerbings because the other two were soaked. Gerbings really didnt get too wet as it was towards the end of the day and I had made it back to western Montana and dryer weather by then. -- Even after sitting in the motel room all night they really didnt try out completely. Damp when I put them on in the morning. 2003 Concours, 51K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

The Steves are fantastic gloves, but not all weather. They will soak through as do my "standard touring helds". My winter First Gear gloves work well in the rain, but they are just too warm to wear during the summer. Honestly I've not had a set of completely waterproof gloves. Granted a couple sets have taken hours to soak through, but they eventually did. I'm almost ready to drop a dime on the aerostich triple digit over gloves. Seems like someone could make a set of gloves that are actually wind and waterproof. The really expensive ones claim waterprof, but a suspect they too will eventually soak through as the testing probably isn't done on a moving bike for hours in the rain. Not that anyone of us have EVER done that. But to answer your question on the Steves. Not they are not waterprrof, but they will probably end up being your most favorite glove ever.qxd AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

2linby, I bought a set of the 3 digit over gloves. I don't like them at all. Dry maybe, didn't use them enough to really test. They are slick on the grips. Don't like the feel or lack of feel on the grips and clutch, brake levers. Just my opinion. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I guess I will look forward to getting a pair of Held Steves. I dont really expect completely waterproof. I think what was more annoying with the current Joe Rocket textile was not so much getting wet, but the liner getting all bunched up when I took them off, and not being able to get them back on until they dried out. I supposed if I fussed with them enough I could have gotten them back on, but since I had another pair I just did that. -- I'll make the Held's be my new primary gloves with the Gerbing G3's being my cold weather gloves and the current Joe Rockets being backup duty. And the current backups going in the garbage where they belong. Plus I have some thin leather summer gloves that barely quality as a extra layer of skin. Thats 4 pair I pack around on the long rides. Plus some polypro liners. 2003 Concours, 51K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg