• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

rain suit recommendation?

I am new to the group after purchasing a 2010 C14........are there any recommendations as to favorite rain suits?....One or 2 piece?....model/manufacturer?.......thanks everyone for a great forum for discussion.....I have learned so much......:)

I use the Road Toad (Made by Frogg Toggs). They are breathable, light, and serve double duty for me to stop the wind over my mesh jacket in cooler weather, and this means I don't have to pack a liner. I have traveled coast to coast with nothing more than a mesh jacket, Road Toad's, and a Gerbing heated vest (for the mountains) and this has allowed me to go though 100+ degree temps in Death Valley, and then cross the Sierra's in 35 degree temp the next day without having to need two different jackets. The Road Toads over a mesh jacket make it work just like a full winter riding jacket, since it traps an insulating layer of air over you. I only need the Gerbings if it drops below about 44 degrees.

Some of the other rain suits (like TourMaster) are better suited for traveling all day in an absolute downpour, and may be a bit better at keeping you dry since they are made from a plastic type material. But they also won't breath very well, which is what the Road Toads are real good at, since they are made of waxed cotton. But if you want to ride all day in a hurricane, I'd probably get the TourMaster.

Frogg Togg makes a Road Toad in High Viz green I like, but it seems to be out of stock a lot. I spray the seams of them with a spay waterproof sealer (just in case) and I've never had a leak from them.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/froggtoggs

medium.jpg

I used to backpack so I now use my North Face Gortex mountain jacket and my EMS goretex pants on bikes with no risk of melting stuff on the exhaust pipes. 

You can't beat gortex for its' waterproofness and breathability. 

Of course you can buy some frogg toggs for a lot less money and there are repair kits for them if you do melt them on something.  I've picked up frogg toggs for as little as $30 for heavy duty farm rated ones.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/search/eSearch.aspx?SearchTerms=frogg%20toggs&eMode=

Tourmaster rain suit - one piece jump suit style.  Ordered it one size larger to make it easy enough to fit over my armored jacket. About $100.

Scrunches down into a small bag.

I have a set of Frog Toggs I originally purchased for camping. I put them away when I purchased a water-tight jacket and armored pants. But now that I picked up a mesh jacket for summer riding, I've pulled them out again. The only complaint I have about mine is the color -- I got them in tan. So when I'm fully kitted out, I look like a walking/riding grocery bag.

They've never leaked and I've had them for several years. But they're the original FT, so I have to be careful about keeping them away from the exhaust.

I've used several including Tourmaster one piece and Frog Toggs... and they work fine.  The problem I had was that I usually got wet by the time I stopped and put them on.  10 years ago I went with a 'stich and have never regretted it.  The guys that live in TX and other places that get 90+ heat for extended periods will whine that 'stiches are too hot, but I see you are in the northeast where the temps are a bit more agreeable.  Just my $0.02. YMMV

bajakirch said:
I have a set of Frog Toggs I originally purchased for camping. I put them away when I purchased a water-tight jacket and armored pants. But now that I picked up a mesh jacket for summer riding, I've pulled them out again. The only complaint I have about mine is the color -- I got them in tan. So when I'm fully kitted out, I look like a walking/riding grocery bag.

They've never leaked and I've had them for several years. But they're the original FT, so I have to be careful about keeping them away from the exhaust.

I have that same suit in the tan. Only paid about 30 bucks for it from the sportsman guide website that was linked above. I've only needed them once on the bike in a pretty good downpour and they worked as expected. I'd like to update to the hi viz suit but need some other gear before I do that.

I've got a Joe Rocket RS-2 Rainsuit and have used it quite a bit here in the PNW. It's great except it's waterproof inside and out so by the time my brain goes "Hey dummy put your rainsuit on" I'm wet/damp enough that I stay that way.

I have to agree with Steve Smith. I have a set of Frogg Toggs but I usually wear either my Aerostitich Roadcrafter or Darien Light suits. "Wearing an Aerostitch means you never have to stop to put on a rain suit."  You'll also never be seen doing the "one-legged hop" on the side of the road. ;D

I have a pair of frogg toggs, but I use mainly the upper portion when riding because I usually wear my tour master overpants, they are extremely water proof and they are on me at most times. I got them online for $60 and have always paid off in a pinch.  Plus I ride in the rain a lot.  never hurts to be ready for anything.

Ranger Jim said:
I have to agree with Steve Smith. I have a set of Frogg Toggs but I usually wear either my Aerostitich Roadcrafter or Darien Light suits. "Wearing an Aerostitch means you never have to stop to put on a rain suit."  You'll also never be seen doing the "one-legged hop" on the side of the road. ;D

But are your legs sweating in the pants (as well as the jacket). My Venture pants and Intake mesh gear will keep you pretty cool, but require donning rain gear when needed. If I'm going to sweat like in Aerostitch pants (like my normal venture pants when warm), then I figure it's probably better to be wet once in a while rather than every time I ride in the warmer months. Just wondering.

After seeing Rock wear Frogg Toggz at RWTW in the pouring rain, I bought a set for me and a set for my wife. Today was the first time to try them out. I had on air Intake pants and a Tourmaster three season waterproof jacket so I just put on the F-Tz. Stayed dry, but it wasn't a gully washer. I was impressed with how they fit over the Intake pants. I think I'll like them.

Cap'n Bob said:
Ranger Jim said:

But are your legs sweating in the pants (as well as the jacket). My Venture pants and Intake mesh gear will keep you pretty cool, but require donning rain gear when needed. If I'm going to sweat like in Aerostitch pants (like my normal venture pants when warm), then I figure it's probably better to be wet once in a while rather than every time I ride in the warmer months. Just wondering.
I agree, how comfortable is a waterproof suit in 90+ temps, even if it has zip open vents? I'm already discovering that with the wind protection on the Connie I'm a lot warmer than I was on my Vulcan, and the temps are only in the 70's here right now. I can't imagine how it's going to feel in another month. I'll take my mesh gear and if it starts to rain too hard, deal with the one legged hop.

FWIW, Living in the deep South, I regularly wear my Roadcrafter in 90+ temps with the accompanying high humidity. Underneath I'm wearing a pair of shorts and a tee shirt. So long as I'm moving it is as comfortable as anything else would be in those temperatures. In 2008, my wife and I (both wearing Roadcrafters) rode across Nebraska (afternoon temps were 94*). Were we hot? Of course we were hot; it was FREAKIN' 94*! However, we weren't dripping sweat nor were we being dehydrated as quickly as we would've been in mesh gear. We were/are willing to give up (a very small amount of) comfort for the protection and convenience offered by the Aerostitch products. YMMV. The OP asked for suggestions for rainsuits. My 'stitch serves as my riding suit and rain suit. That leaves space for other stuff and I'm not stopped on the side of the road or under a bridge(serving as a target for some cager) when the weather turns for the worse.

Rain gear? When I retired from commercial fishing I brought home all my rain gear. Still trying to wear out the Helly Hansen heavy duty bibs and jackets in hi viz green and orange. Yes, they sweat you up but that was my normal work environment for 38 summers. Just be sure to fold the hood under or you have a floppy air brake massaging your shoulders at speed or collecting drinking water for your next break!

If it's 94 and starts raining I don't bother to stop and put on rain gear.  I welcome the relief the rain brings.  I wear hiking pants / shorts and wicking tee under my mesh gear in the summer so I quickly dry when the rain stops.

twowheeladdict said:
If it's 94 and starts raining I don't bother to stop and put on rain gear.  I welcome the relief the rain brings.  I wear hiking pants / shorts and wicking tee under my mesh gear in the summer so I quickly dry when the rain stops.

I would agree with, since I've done the same just not on purpose.

But without rain pants, for example, the water runs down inside your boots, and that won't dry out fast. Same with down inside gloves. My favorite hot weather gloves are tourmaster summer gloves (some mesh) and a pair of perforated leather gloves I've had for ages. If the former gets wet, it will air dry fast. The latter will need to be spread in order to dry.

So if my Zumo 665 is telling me I'm underneath storm clouds, I'm stopping and putting on the rainsuit.

I wear a 2 piece rain suit. the top half I purchased at walmart. the bottom is a tourmaster with reflective stripes. the thing that I like about the two pieces is that you can take the jacket off if your so incline and keep the pants on in case. it's quicker to slip a jacket back on than trying to put on a whole one piece.