• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rattle Rattle Rattle

I have a rattle thats driving me nuts, that seems to be coming from the instrument panel area whenever I hit a bump or go over railroad tracks. Sounds like the dash/fairing is about to fall off actually. I went thru and tightened up every bolt I can find, and while it may get better, its never gone away. Now that the temps have dropped its worse that ever. Darn plastic! Any clues or tips appreciated.

Sounds like the dash/fairing is about to fall off actually. That sounds more severe than a rattling steering lock pin that can make noise. I wear earplugs. :p Paging Dr. Muir to the courtesy phone.

Check the screws holding the dash in place. They're on top of the dash, behind the shield. I had a similar sound behind the fairing, tightening those screws did it for me. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g

If the rattle stops when you hold the instrument panel steady with your hand, then you need to remove the instrument panel and insert standard washers, one each in each of the three rubber mounts on the rear of the instrument panel. The washers take up the excess slack.

Hi Doug, I had a similar rattle on my '06. Two little screws, just forward of the gloveboxes, were loose (stripped plastic holes in the inner cowling cover assy). I filled the holes with "plastifix from Murphs", drilled small holes, & reinserted the self-threading screws. The rattle disapeared. Al :)

Doug, The squeak could originate from a lot of different things. Next time you take off the fairing parts look for rub marks between the fairing parts. Maybe there is a missing rubber cushion or metal spacer in the main fairing or even a broken tab that is causing enough movement for the fairing pieces to rub against each other?

Ok, thanks for the ideas. I may take it apart over the long weekend this week and see what I can find. Everyone have a great Thanksgiving!