• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Re: California vs. the World

steve poff

Tricycle
Hi All,

I've just joined your forum in anticipation of buying a used Concours 14.  I'm in California and I'm looking at some out-of-state bikes.  I've searched this topic and it is apparent that some C14s sold in other states were/are California compliant.  However, it is my understanding that California DMV doesn't care that the motorcycle has California equipment.  Their only demand is that if it is "new", meaning less than 7500 miles, it has the CARB (California Air Resources Board) sticker.  Can anyone confirm whether or not a California compliant bike sold in other states has a CARB sticker?  Thanks.

Steve

I've got an 02 California Connie and have never noticed a CARB sticker anywhere on her.  On the other hand, she's 10 years old and that may not have been a requirement at the time.  Also she was registered in both North and South Carolina before I registered her in Florida so someone may have removed it.

My '10 C14 is a California model (purchased new in Texas, but it has a fuel separator and had a vapor canister) but I don't see
any CARB sticker anywhere, I took off 75-80 percent of the badging so I doubt that I just overlooked it.

Bought my '11 new in N. Carolina and registered in NV. I think they are all 50 state legal. Didn't see any CARB sticker.

Calif. has their own rules. My buddy in Vista, Ca. cannot register any of his rides brought from out of state into Calif unless they have 7500 miles on them, period... California is like a different country, look who they elect to run the place...

It's why I live in NV now. Ever since they double yellowed ortega it's been downhill.

Ca does suck in many ways BUT we are riding when so many others are sitting in their garages or basements on the battery tender for 3-6 months....

Phil said:
Ca does suck in many ways BUT we are riding when so many others are sitting in their garages or basements on the battery tender for 3-6 months....

Hate all the rules you have down there but do have to agree with that...  :-[

Phil said:

Yeah, you definitely can't argue with that!

Few indeed have to keep their bikes inside for SIX months out of the year.  And plenty of us who live outside of California can ride year-round - come on down to Florida!

Where exactly do they put the carb stickers for those that have them?  The local shop(Utah) told me my bike is a Cal bike and said all their c14's have been as well. 

Phil said:

Lived in California for 3 decades. I miss most, probably, the fine weather.

But, those 3-6 months give us time to install the more complicated farkles, and we pay less for insurance as a rule than you do. For example, I'm with State Farm (car, house, bike) and I only pay $386 a year on my 2008 ZX14, and if you've seen it at a COG event, you know its got over $12,000 worth of carbon fiber, various farkles, exhaust, etc. etc. and its all covered for that price, 365 days a year. They just know there are 4 months when their risk is substantially reduced because the bikes will not be operated.

I also miss legal lane splitting a lot. A whole lot. And the Santa Cruz Mountains and Alice's Restaurant. And tons of stuff.

But not the economy, not the housing prices, not the police, not the legislature, not the gun laws (though Maryland is worse), you get the drift.

Anyway, when I finally get my 2012 C14 (maybe I should put it off and wait for the 2013 when they put the 2012 ZX14 engine in it!) I will do the same kinds of thing during the months its on the battery tender. That is one of the fun things we get to do because of our cold winters.  :beerchug:

Phil said:

My Dad moved to California from Kansas in the mid-1930's because he heard that you could ride motorcycles year-round out here. He never looked back.

To say that motorcycling is in my blood would be an understatement.

Thanks, Dad!

Dan

I am from California and it does not matter about being a 50 state legal motorcycle, it just has to have 7500 miles on it before imported to CA and of course pay the high fees.  If you try to register a bike from out of state before it has 7500 miles the DMV will not allow it to be registered.

Few weeks ago I read somewhere that only way to tell if its CA legal is to check the VIN number. CA legal models have 1-2 alphabets that are different in the VIN from rest.