• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Re-direction of COG Finances vs. Forum

red fox

I like and use our forum.
But for some time now our COG forum has been the slowest website I visit.  By far. 
So today, June 1 - 11:30 PDT in trying to send a private message, I realized that I was making a mental decision to not visit as often ... because it is so slow.

I request that COG allocate additional funding to increase the speed, responsiveness, accessibility ... etc., of our forum.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.
No issues here.
This forum is FAR from the slowest on the web.

From what I understand:

Upgrading is easy.

It is not cheap but doable and worth it.

The expense of transferring all the COG history and info is unreal costly. This is the hold up as I see it

It has been a few months since I attended a meeting, but this is something often discussed and maybe someone working on this can catch us all up.

Main complaints are search function and picture uploads. Never heard about speed issues.

:beerchug:

No speed issue here.  It returns a search in less than 2 seconds.  Pictures are not an issue that I have noticed.  I do have a great computer and a connection fast enough to supply a small town.

Interesting. I haven't noticed any significant issues with performance.

The server is reporting about 0.1 sec to create this page as of Fais's reply (see the footer of each page for the stats). I fired up the developer tools and disabled the cache, then reloaded the page. The body of the page was returned in under 0.4 sec, and it took another 0.7 sec to get the graphics. About 1.2 seconds total.

The "cog_events_header.php" file needed nearly 2 seconds to load. I'm pretty certain that's what generates the ads under the search box at the top of the page. That delay could be what is giving the perception of slowness. Since I'm not part of the IT team, I don't have any insight to what work that file creates on the server side or if something could be improved to reduce the response time.

On the whole, it seems as responsive as most of the sites I visit that aren't loaded up with ads. Unfortunately, some of the news outlets I frequent are now using "cover" ads that take forever to render and frustrate me to no end.

I've not noticed any slowness either.  Red....are you certain it's not your provider?

when I'm on the Sidecar.com forum, I notice how slow it is, but in their case, its generally because people do a lot of pictures in-line in their posts.  from home my service provider is slow at loading that much data.

If you close the news section of the forum it does not show that rotating banner and home page loads faster.  But then you don't get news.

I'm a long time network administrator and quickly pick up on issues and sniff out problems by nature. I fail to see what you are reporting for latency on any of the multiple devices I use. This forum is working properly for me.  ::)

the hardest part of adding more CPU, ram and storage is ponying up the money for an upgrade, actually implementing it is just a reboot away.

but like others i'm not seeing a real need to.
that's not saying there isn't one, just that I don't see it.

this loaded fast enough for me, and the server load is very tolerable,  for  the Linux nerds among us, here's some stats:

load average: 0.28, 0.20, 0.18
free -h
            total      used      free    shared    buffers    cached
Mem:          7.8G      7.1G      723M      166M      149M      5.5G
-/+ buffers/cache:      1.5G      6.3G
Swap:        511M      256K      511M

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        94G  79G  15G  85% /
devtmpfs        3.9G  4.0K  3.9G  1% /dev

well, now this is awkward...

some of the forum is as speedy as ever, but some other bits are dog slow.
i just pulled up a member profile and the page stats at the bottom of the page said

"Page created in 32.582 seconds with 14 queries."

i'll do some more digging.

It generally loads quickly for me, but it helps that I run a cleaner program fairly often, dump all cookies, cached pages, history, and accumulating garbage that builds up from surfing.

This particular computer is due for replacement as it's 7 years old, so I have to give it the "electronic enema" about once a week. I was reading the Stromrider forum last night and it was dog slow because of the ads. This one is normally good.

I'm on a slow ISP connection not much better than 56k baud rate...line of site WIFI, skipping over mountain tops thru barely working repeaters or what ever.
Seems fast enough for me.

The only time I see it slow down is when the kids start downloading movies.

Wouldn't it be normal for the C10 sections to be slower...  :pokestick:  ;D