• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear Brake Bleed Problems

Shoegoo

I changed the tires on my 08 C14 abs. After I was through I decided to change the fluid on the front and rear brakes. No problems with the front brakes I used previously installed speed bleeders. When I got to the rear caliber it already had one speed bleeder installed on the outside half of the caliber. I decided to replace it with a speed bleeder. When I did that all the fluid drained out. I figured no problem I'll just bleed the air out of the new speed bleeder. I spent the better part of the afternoon trying to bleed the darn rear brake caliber. I finally got some fluid flowing out of the outside bleeder, but the inside bleeder is still not working very well. I watched Fred old video and only bled the outside. I guess he knew not to touch it.

Am I missing something?

The inside one should bleed as easily as the outer one. As the outer one now seems to be troublesome, the master cylinder may be so full of crud that the piston is stuck at the end of its stroke.

If the bleed/flush hasn't been done at the recommended intervals, a blocked ABS rear circuit may be in your future. I'd suggest you replace the master cyl with one of those shown in post 8 in the link above, then open yours up for a look inside.

Normally the rear circuit is no trouble to bleed from either screw. The front circuit, on the other hand, can be quite troublesome if the reservoir is allowed to run dry while doing maintenance/repairs.