• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear brake problems

kenbo

Good morning, I have a 2011 concours that has no rear brakes at all. I have good front brake operation, but rear pedal goes all the way thru travel with no restriction or stopping power. Any ideas where to start I do not want to just throw parts at it. Hoping to get involved in trouble shooting this weekend .

What's the background story that led to this situation?

bIke sat for almost a year between weather and covid that did a job on my health. finely draged bike out of garage to ride and warm up to change oil and noticed no rear brake pedal. Remembered year before that pedal seamed low, only thing done was lowered foot pegs and oil changes.

UPDATE Rebuilt rear master cylinder and flushed lines with brake fluid and still have no brake pedal does anybody have any knowledge of internal ABS unit valving etc. thanks in advance.

Yes, l do. How much crud did you find in the m/cyl?

Does the circuit seem to bleed/flush ok?

Did the rear brake ever work correctly? I had a 2012, the rear brake never worked as I thought it should. I associated it to the ABS system. Never got it to work correctly.
If I used the front brake first, the rear brake worked OK. If I tried to use the rear brake first, it had to be pumped to get any braking action. Not a good thing.
Sorry, I do not have any solutions

Bleed system after repair and never seemed to build any pressure, also vac bleed system with no difference, bleed both rear bleeders. N.G. did find some junk in master cylinder but not horrible. I am going to try aftermarket master this week but feel that there may be a problem in ABS unit in eather dump or isolator circuit. is this unit serviceable. NOTE I am an automotive technician with 48 years experience.

I just rebuilt the caliper with all new seals. I also replaced the seals of the master cylinder. I had no brake pressure until cranking the hand vacuum bleeder and depressing the lever many times. It can be a stubborn system to get air out. The speed bleeders helped keep air from backing into the system. She now has awesome braking feel.

l repair these gen 1 ABS units.Here's the link to my ebay item.

I'm an 'oldtimer' these days and repair these units. If interested l can do a deal via PM.

Last edited:
I Am going to try to power flush system first as i have no problem with fronts and then if no good i will contact you By the way in the states the price for a new unit is 1100. USD