• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear tip-over bars...

bygdawg

Bicycle
Okay guys. I hope to have the rear tip-over bars going in the next month or so. However, I have a question. Would most of you prefer a gloss black powder coat or a flat black powder coat on the bars? I plan to offer COG members a discount off of the site price, once I have finalized production and pricing. www.bygdawg.com Thanks.

Ride Safe,
Jay H. aka bygdawg

Looking forward to seeing the finished product - potential customer.  I would be inclined toward the powder coat, but not a strong preference.  I am more interested in it being functional and esthetic (i.e., not looking like bathtub safety bars).

I will be ordering the rear set in black gloss powdercoat for my 2012 Concours 14 when you have them ready.

Gloss black is a favorite for the ST 1300, and I have found that black goes well with any color. They will be functional. Otherwise, I wouldn't put my name on it.

I may be interested in a set, depending on how well it looks.

As for gloss black or flat black.  Even though I prefer gloss paint on most surfaces, I think flat black is better in this application.  Reasons:

1. Unless you have a black color C14, there are next to no shiney black surfaces on the bike.  Most exposed plastic and metal surfaces are flat/satin/textured black.

2. Flat black tend to receed into the background and draw less attention than shiney black.  Crashbars are definitely something I don't want to draw attention to.

3. Flat black doesn't look quite as bad with minor scratches and scrapes.  However, flat touch up paint may be harder to find vs. glossy black.  Then again, powercoating is harder to touch up to begin with.

4. Flat black will probably weather a bit better  than glossy black.

bygdawg said:
Gloss black is a favorite for the ST 1300, and I have found that black goes well with any color. They will be functional. Otherwise, I wouldn't put my name on it.

I've got a black C14, very shiny black. Heh.

Gloss black rear bars will fade right into that shiny black motorcycle, and vanish.

Flat black would stand out and look ugly on a shiny black motorcycle. Any other color flat black would be fine.