• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear Wheel Removal

mastergunny

Big Wheel
I am finding the search tool pretty difficult to use. I am looking for information on rear wheel removal and installation so I can get new rubber installed.

Front looks pretty easy. I used to do my Yamaha Venture wheels with no problems.

Mastergunny

I ju st reinstalled front and back tonite with new rubber on both. I bought the manual on cd on ebay for I think $11.00.Nothing really too difficult for either,but following the steps in the manualmade it easier...if you can decipher bad Japanesse english. I went with the Continental road attack 2's. went for a spin after putting it all together and it's like a different machine. Also bought the tires on ebay for $314 with free shipping.

Rear is easy

1) Remove Brake Caliper
2) Remove ABS sensor and PROTECT IT (If equipped)
3) Remove the allen bolt that holds the Caliper Carrier to the rear swingarm (10mm Allen bolt)
4) Remove Cotter Pin on axle nut
5) Remove Axle nut
6) Remove axle (there is a spacer that will fall out along with the Caliper Carrier, don't lose it)
7) Pull wheel off splines.

Installation is reverse of dissasembly.. 

Personally, I wouldn't attempt this without the OEM Kawasaki manual. Its got all the proper torque values in it as well as detailed instructions. My DVD's may help you to see how it actually all comes apart and goes back together, but if you want the BIBLE, get the Kawasaki manual. Nothing can replace it.

It's pretty simple and straight forward. You can probably do it by just looking before you do anything. I never looked in the manual when I did my tire removal on any motorcycle. Of course I'm not one of the "must torque every bolt correctly" crowd either. This is not mean as disrespect or a poke at anyone. Just that I personally never found it that nessasary to torque everything to spec. (and have never had a problem because of it either). So I found it pretty simple on the C14. Although using the manual and properly torquing every bolt to the correct specs, is probably the safer way to go.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I will invest in the shop manual from Kawa but always learn a lot for the guys that have been down this road before. It looked pretty straight forward as I have done the rear wheel removal on my 99 and 06 Yamaha Ventures and it looks very similar.

Again, thanks to all.

Mastergunny