• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Recommendations for backpacks on a bike

santacruzrider

Does anyone have any advise for use of a motorcycle-specific backpack on motorcycle?  This would be for day riding a bike without bags or a rack (non-Concours).

Planned load would be light -- small laptop and gym clothes. I've tried the tank bag and strapping a duffel to the seat route, but thinking a small backpack might be faster/easier. Biggest worry I have is whether it will add to my windage for side winds.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

It depends on the weight and distance of travel IMHO.  When I first got the Vrod, I was opposed to putting my Coretec bags on it so I went the backpack route. I live in Sacramento and took a ride to Brentwood (roughly 70 miles each way).  By the time I got home I was ready to have it off.  Mind you, it wasn't super heavy but it is taxing after awhile.  I have an Oakley backpack with just a laptop and a few peripherals in it.  I didn't feel a ton of wind it was just the constant weight hanging there for a long period of time.  Also if you have a backpack on, it is inherent to take more stuff since you can... Human nature I guess.  Needless to say, the Coretec's are on now on the Vrod and I don't do the backpack unless I have to :beerchug:  Good luck!

I've always heard that it's bad to wear a backpack in the unlikely event of a get off. Chances of injury increase with laptop and a big bulge of stuff on your back. How about soft bags over the pillion?

I have an OGIO No-Drag backpack.  For a lap-top or gym clothes, it could work well.  I also wouldn't want to take a long trip with one, but for short running around errands, it can do the trick.  I'm not a fan of backpacks in general, but on a bike with no luggage, they do have their uses.

Check out Kriega packs.  I have an R25, and although I don't use it often anymore, I
don't even want to sell it just because it IS so good.
Designed for motorcycles, and the fit and comfort is bar none.
Top notch quality and function.  Low to Zero drag.

i too agree with the other comments: luggage is always preferable to a backpack in anything other than short trips
or a day trip maximum.  A load on the back, no matter how well placed or loaded, adds to fatigue and discomfort
over the long haul.

gr

ghostrider990 said:
Check out Kriega packs.  I have an R25, and although I don't use it often anymore, I
don't even want to sell it just because it IS so good.
Designed for motorcycles, and the fit and comfort is bar none.
Top notch quality and function.  Low to Zero drag.

i too agree with the other comments: luggage is always preferable to a backpack in anything other than short trips
or a day trip maximum.  A load on the back, no matter how well placed or loaded, adds to fatigue and discomfort
over the long haul.

gr

I have the Kriega R35 which I have worn for years, don't use it much anymore but it is as this poster says. Amazing quality and fit is spot on.

SantaCruzRider said:
Does anyone have any advise for use of a motorcycle-specific backpack on motorcycle?  This would be for day riding a bike without bags or a rack (non-Concours).

Planned load would be light -- small laptop and gym clothes. I've tried the tank bag and strapping a duffel to the seat route, but thinking a small backpack might be faster/easier. Biggest worry I have is whether it will add to my windage for side winds.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

I guess it somewhat depends on what you mean by "day riding"  -  Is that all day or a ride across town during daytime hours?

The few times I used a back pack it didn't take long before it became uncomfortable and Hot.

I guess the only way your going to know for sure is to try one or three and see how they work for you.

I don't remember any problems with side winds - so I wouldn't worry too much about that - however a backpack needs to
be fairly tight to your body, as if it's loose and blowing in the wind that changes things.  Maybe because it needs to be fairly tight
that is one reason they get uncomfortable fairly quickly.  That and most people are not use to carrying stuff on their back - so it's different for sure.

I agree that using one will be more work then if you could mount the backpack or a duffel bag to your bike.

Good luck - and if you try a backpack - post a picture of it and let us know how it worked for you.  :great:

Although not motorcycle-specific, I bought a Targus backpack from Target (about 40 bucks) which is designed to carry a laptop in its own compartment, and other assorted goodies. It's become my "man purse".  ;D

I bought it for commuting on my 454, and now it gets tossed into the Connie sidecase. It's survived a little over two years of going with me virtually everywhere I go with nary an issue, not even a loose thread.