• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Replacement windshield suggestions

1khzinger

Tricycle
    I get a lot of buffeting and wind noise on my C10. The bike has an aftermarket shield that came on it when I get it and should work better than it does. My rule of thumb has been from my chin to the middle of my nose on all other bikes I have owned and I never had a problem. I don't want to be looking through the windshield so I am a little stumped. This bike is my commuter and I ride it 100+ miles 5 days a week. Aside from the windshield it is the perfect commuter for Los Angeles traffic and lane splitting.

I've only had the stock one, a Cee Bailey and a Rifle. I swapped the CB off the newer C10 onto the one I sold and kept the Rifle. There may be better options, but I like the look of the Rifle and the buffeting is more the helmet than the w/s. When I ride no helmet (seldom) it's very smooth.
Either is better than the stock shield.
This will be about like an oil thread. Everybody has their favorite for whatever reason(s). I would take suggestions from some of the folks that have tried several and had better reasons than mine for their final choice, but most everyone has different priorities. The perfect shield for everyone doesn't exist.

cra-z1000 said:
http://www.saeng.com/dproduct.php?id=714Nobody seems to like this stuff but it works great and solved my issue instantly .

Way too dorky looking for my taste.

Those big chrome air horns on 18 wheelers prob work great for getting someone's attention, but I don't care.  I will stick with my puny stock horns.

Point being - may work great, but not at the expense of the wonderful aesthetics of my bike. 

Cost is a consideration and I really don't want to spend more than $200 (which is almost 10% of what I paid for the bike).  I contacted Cee Baily's, I can hit them on my way home from work (no shipping cost) and they will give me a 10% discount. I like the vent idea and I know Rifle has one as well. I have a vent on my '14 Harley Ultra classic and it made a huge difference over my '08 model. I just don't want to plunk down the cash to find out it still sucks.

Moonshine said:
  Cost is a consideration and I really don't want to spend more than $200 (which is almost 10% of what I paid for the bike).  I contacted Cee Baily's, I can hit them on my way home from work (no shipping cost) and they will give me a 10% discount. I like the vent idea and I know Rifle has one as well. I have a vent on my '14 Harley Ultra classic and it made a huge difference over my '08 model. I just don't want to plunk down the cash to find out it still sucks.

One thing I didn't like about the Cee B was (and maybe it was an inch or two taller than it needed to be) that when driving into the garage or going into somewhere tight and looking thru the shield, the lip at the top and to an extent, the curve of the entire shield, distorted the view more than needed.
I have the smoked version of a Rifle currently.

Edit: not sure how the lake view off the 18th tee box from last fall at the local course got there, but the site won't allow me to remove it. 

Attachments

• 20150410_153845.jpg
    20150410_153845.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 20141015_131519.jpg
    20141015_131519.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 98
The WS on the silver C10 looks like the 25" version of the CB. I have that one too, but it's really an inch too tall for me (I'm 5'9). I will probably get a 24" version at some point and only use the 25" for late Fall and early Spring riding. It's a great WS for the money and way better than the stocker.

I had a Clear View shield with the Gold Wing 5 way adjustable vent on my 2000 and it worked great for me. Send me an email message to the e-mail address in my profile and I can send you some photos of it.

If the after market shield is a Rifle, you can go to McMaster Carr and get a 24x24 piece of poly-carbonate and make your own.  Using the other as a template.  Worked great for me.  :great:

DannyS_WA said:
Found a site at Jurock.com that has several choices of windshields for the C-10 Concours. Prices start at only $130.

This is a real estate site.... Not motorcycles...

My '94 had a stock shield which I replaced with a Madstad. When I totaled the '94 the replacement bike had a CBailey. The CBailey is too tall with lots of visual distortion in the lower half of the shield. Ordered another Madstad yesterday.

Madstad is expensive but worth it.

Put a 7 in front of jurock :-[
                                                      Roger :great:

I have a smoked 19" Madstad with a few minor scratches available. Powder coating is coming off the brackets, nothing that paint won't fix. Heck of a good deal and withing your budget. PM me if interested.

+1 on madstad.

I've tried Rifle, Cee Bailey and homemade shields of different heights, including cut down stockers.

Madstad is the best I've ever tried on my C10.  I get no buffeting, a quiet cockpit, no buffeting, a good view over the screen as its much lower than anything else with still no buffeting.  Its quickly adjustable and no buffetting.  There is also no buffeting for me with this shield.  Did I mention no buffeting?

The only answer to the buffeting is the madstad system. I fully and shamelessly endorse this 100%