• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Reuse of the Pads From Cowlings

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
Buying new Cowling (Center and Side) parts for my 2008 C14. Is it ok to reuse the Pad(s) and other parts from old original part or should I buy new pads for the new Cowling parts? The original Pads are not damaged but seem to be a hassle to take off. Looks like if you are careful you could cut out old pad and reuse? What do you think? Thank you

I reused my heat blocker/sound deaden-er panels back in 07. I didn't realise that they didn't come with the panel. So It was either put the bike back together and wait until Monday to order them. Or just reuse the old (not very old in my case) panels.They are a PITA to take off. You can remove them. But they will be rough. Then, reattaching them with spray glue works, But doesn't look or seem to hold as nice. If I had to do it again. I would buy new.

Cap'n Bob said:
I reused my heat blocker/sound deaden-er panels back in 07. I didn't realise that they didn't come with the panel. So It was either put the bike back together and wait until Monday to order them. Or just reuse the old (not very old in my case) panels.They are a PITA to take off. You can remove them. But they will be rough. Then, reattaching them with spray glue works, But doesn't look or seem to hold as nice. If I had to do it again. I would buy new.

It tends to tear up the foam on them when you try to peel them off. It can be done, but I think I'd suggest just ordering new pads, since they aren't that much more. Check with  http://www.ronayers.com/  for parts, they can probably save you a significant amount of money if you order on-line.

Most of those pads have been removed on the 2010/11 models, the parts fiche shows that the panels that do have pads are now part of the panel so they should come with it already on it.