• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Reviving the black plastic trim

alamodoc

Big Wheel
I've noticed that the textured black plastic (especially on the saddle bags) is growing dingy and gray. It's not so much dirt as exposure to UV and weather. I'm hesitant to start painting until I get some feedback from the experience of others. Is there some product out there that's better than Armour All and the like? If repainting is really the answer, what paint will be the most durable, and what sort of prep should I do on this textured plastic?

Thanks in advance.
Clif

I've found that once you start using products like Armor All on plastic, it seems to make the problem worse. The best way I have found to keep plastic looking good is to never use anything other than mild soap and water on it. Every plastic treatment product I have seen eventually dries out and makes it look even worse than it did before.

I use turtle wax ice on my bikes. You can use it right on the plastics and it makes older plastics look newer again. I use the liquid on everything on the bike. I like the stuff a lot!

I agree with Bob. I also use the turtle wax ice with the detail kit they sell for black paint. Works awesome and since the wax is dark you can't see left over residue if ya miss some.

Cap'n Bob said:
I use turtle wax ice on my bikes. You can use it right on the plastics and it makes older plastics look newer again. I use the liquid on everything on the bike. I like the stuff a lot!
\

Same here.

believe it or not, a buddy of mine (yes i have friends  :D) works at a dealership and they use pledge on all plastics, except the windshield.

I've used this on my Armada and the lower black plastic on the fairing of the Concours with great results.

http://www.showroomnewproducts.com/_mgxroot/page_10783.html

It actually dyes the plastic again rather than being a top coating.

Pig Spit - sold in many motorcycle shops and for sure at HD dealerships is fantastic stuff. It is not petroleum based, so it won't damage the plastic/rubber over time with use. http://www.pigspit.com/index.html

I've used it for years with no adverse affects. It works on plastic, rubber, paint, powdercoat, chrome, etc. It makes plastics and rubber look "waxed" and lasts several months. On my HDs, I would even spray it on the engine cases and transmission parts. It repels water and makes the surfaces look new.

rdm197apd said:
believe it or not, a buddy of mine (yes i have friends  :D) works at a dealership and they use pledge on all plastics, except the windshield.

A lot of people use Pledge on the bike plastics. I just don't know how well it brings the black color back out on controls and such.

I use ProtectAll on my GIVI trunk to keep it looking nice. I realize it's on a C10 :) but it should still work on a 14!

Eddie

I've had great results with "Black Chrome" that I bought in the automotive section of a dept store.  I've had it for years (so for all I know it may not still be around) and it is easy to use and lasts a long time.

It doesn't stay out in the sun for extended time, but the spoiler on my car has looked good for many years and hasn't dried out.

Used it for many years on the black inner fairing of my C10 and that looked very good as well.

Peter

Interesting topic...

Mine haven't started to fade or dull yet but are there any product recommendations to use that keeps this from happening if you do in advance, like preventative maintenance??

ZG said:
Interesting topic...

Mine haven't started to fade or dull yet but are there any product recommendations to use that keeps this from happening if you do in advance, like preventative maintenance??

The smartest thing for you to do, is never put any chemicals at all on the black parts of the bike. Once your start using any of these products, you'll start to get oxidation of the surface. The best advice I can give you is, leave it alone.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
ZG said:
Interesting topic...

The smartest thing for you to do, is never put any chemicals at all on the black parts of the bike. Once your start using any of these products, you'll start to get oxidation of the surface. The best advice I can give you is, leave it alone.

Done! Already doing that...  ;D

Thanks Fred.

Big ICE fan here as well....getting ready to try Aerospace 303 it has some of the BEST UV ratings and the boat and RV world SWEARS!!!!! by it, guys have been putting it on boats and RVs for many many many years, its made for vinyl and plastic. Going to pick some up soon to give it a try.

Up to this point I have been using nothing but ice synthetic wax and detailer, that stuff rocks! Also have been trying black magic vinyl/plastic cleaner something or other…its crap!! Suppose to have a high UV protection rating but seems to be a typical petroleum based product

When plastic looks like crap I put more plastic on it.  In your case I'd try Krylon Fusion for plastic for durable, easy fix.  If you want to spend all week on it go with linear polyurethane.  You can probably paint everything in LP for no more than twice what it would cost to buy new parts.