• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ride input for Kentucky & West Virgina

Just Cliff

Wife & I will be taking a small ride into Kentucky & W. Virgina soon, maybe coming back thru northern TN. We have no set plans, probably out 5-7 days looking for road/route suggestions, twistie for me scenic for her. Any must see sights would be nice. Thanks in advance for any input. :)
Cliff 

I could spend a week riding around WV...  Oh wait, we did that at the 2007 National Rally  :)

Lots of good riding there and the sample ride routes out of Canaan Valley are archived and available to COG members (membership has its privileges)  Go to the Member Library, NE Area Ride & Event Info, and look for the 2007 Canaan Valley, WV National Ride Routes.

Some POI...  Seneca Rocks, Seneca Cavern, Cass Railroad, Byrd Radiotelescope.

As for Ky, just about anywhere in the eastern third of the state.  Along the Ky-Tn border are two lakes, Dale Hollow Lake and Lake Cumberland, both quite scenic.  In north eastern Tn, try Standing Stone State Park.  Now it is fairly remote and watch for that narrow dam crossing.  Road through it is twisty and watch for deer.  I don't think you will be disappointed with any of those states.

tcars
John

Me and a buddy do an annual WV 4-day trip every year.  There are tons of good roads.  Many report about gravel and those type of things, but we've found the roads to be very well maintained.  Southern WV has tons of curvy roads and it's unique to ride through coal country.  There's still quite a bit of depression there compared to most of the rest of the US.  There is not a great deal of accomodations, so you should plan ahead where to spend the night in one of the state's larger cities.  We have found eastern WV to be more enjoyable though.  The curvy roads abound and there's less population.  In the area of RT 219, there's a number of sites to see.  Cass Railroad, Green Bank Observatory, Seneca Rocks, Beartown State Park, just to name a few stopping points.