• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Riders Size

gnaontheroad

Big Wheel
I am an avid motorcyclist. In my younger days I loved riding sport bikes. After many years of hot wings and beer my gut  became a sport riding problem.  I became larger than I prefer to post. I have been riding large cruisers in the recent years. I have lost a tremendous amount of weight and would like to get onto a sport touring bike. I am very interested in the purchase of a 2011 Concours. I am 6'2" 275lbs.  Are you a larger rider? If so, what type of mods have you done for comfort. I have yet to ride one since the dealer does not have a demo bike. I need to find a dealer that will allow a demo. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. I am ready to buy a new sport touring bike with a week so I am ready to ride to Sturgis this year. 

I'm the same size as you almost exactly I have no mods on my bike; but I will be getting a throttle lock or cruse control. the bar position has us bracing ourselves on our wrist and hands. So numbness can be an issue. It was a slight issue with me while riding to Americade. I did a couple of 300 mile days and I was beat up. I'm looking to get a Corbin seat too. I haven't tried bar risers yet (still doing research).

I'm a little but shorter, but still I went with a couple of different windshields, a heated Corbin seat, grip heaters (2008), Murph's grips and KB risers. Although I think the risers only really made a big difference on long days. Short play days might have been good or better without them. So it's a trade off and installing them only for longer days isn't practical. So I left them on and was fine with it.
I did try lower pegs, and they were comfortable. But the trade off to have to constantly move my toes up onto the pegs when cornering, or they would constantly touch in the corners. So I kept the stock pegs.

Thanks for the info. I am buying the Concours to replace my touring model Victory Vision. So if adding the handle bar risers and lowering the foot pegs helps I am all for it. I still have a Victory Jackpot for cruising around the area on local rides under a few hundred miles. Numb hands on a log trip can annoying and painful. I really need to find a dealer willing to demo.  Thanks again! Greg

well i'm 6'6" tall. i just sold my 2011 victory vision, to get the concours. just did not like the trunk and bags and low seat. anyway i've added the murphs riser but cut them down to 1" and 5/8" respectfully. i prefer the 1". i also have larrys peg lowers front and rear. corbin seat, 1/2" taller than stock should arrive tommorrow. us big guys must adjust.

Hey Big Man, I'm 6'1" and 265 (45 years old) and the stock bike seems to suit me fine.  Although I don't do a lot of long distance riding. My longest was to the Dragon and back. It was a decent ride. Left at 7:30 am and got back home at 3:30 pm. All of it on the Concourse but a 30 min lunch break. Other than the usual aches that come with age, I faired better than I thought. The concourse held its own on the Dragon. Grate handling bike. Good luck with the new bike.

Bob, that's what i plan on doing too. Risers,  seat and pegs. Seems like it should work out nicely. I think the only thing I am going to miss about my Vision is the music. Guess I will have buy the ear plugs with speakers.

Cap'n Bob said:
Necron99 said:
Size matters?    :rotflmao:

I always heard the opposite!!!!  :eek: 

:))

She was being considerate of your ego  :nananana:

I'm 6'2", 300 pounds. Even in it's stock form, the C14 was more comfortable for me than my GL1800 was with a Hartco BigBoy seat.

I have a Corbin on it's way. For comfort mods, I've only installed the tallest Cee Bailey screen, put in the KB handlebar risers, and installed the MFW Vario dropped footpegs.

The footpegs were pricey, but I have ZERO issues with my knees. I'm a 32" inseam.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4694/602/

6'4", 380lbs  :)-\ must go on a diet) with 32" inseam.
I have a CalSci XL +6" (over stock 2008).
I currently run stock pegs (I like to lean and we have LOTS of twisties this side of the pond), stock bars, and stock saddle.
I may soon be buying another saddle. I did have a Russell which was awesome w.r.t. comfort but not conducive to sporty riding.
Sold it when times were tight and the new owner loves it as does his better half.
May try a Corbin this time, or a Sargent but her indoors wants another Russell.

If ya wanna tour in comfort, the ultimate is a Russell saddle, Bar-risers possibly with Phil/Murphs wedges, CalSci +7.5" (over stock 2008) screen and the peg lowerers.
Buy and fit everything else before ya take the pics for the Russell as they will change yer riding position.

For sports use, stock screen, stock bars, stock pegs, loud muffler, ECU remap (or flies out/PC V + Autotune).

So, now all I need is another C14. Then I can have one for the week and one for the weekend.
Nah, if I had that kinda money I'd have a ZX14 and a C14.

I think that the amount of reach to the stock bars is related to the length of one's arms . I am 6 ft with long arms, therefore I can enjoy a relatively upright riding position with the stock bars.

Moving from big cruisers to a new Connie? You are in for a treat in the handling and comfort department. Good luck!

I guess the dealer figured out I am a serious buyer and is going to allow me to test ride tomorrow.  I hope to have a black 2011 soon. I have until july 30 to break it in and set up for my trip to sturgis.  The wife is riding her own this year. Should be fun.

6'3" 270 lbs

Murph lowering rider pegs (rear brake adjustment is kind of a pain, I suggest not grinding down the threads as defined on Murphs Web)
CB Ultra Tour
Grip Puppies

Stock Seat if fine by me .. but if I was a rich man ...

Well I went on my test ride. 72 miles to be exact. I don't think the The risers, lower pegs and seat are going to help. By mile 40 my left knee and Hip was in pain.  :'(  I tried a few different riding positions, nothing seemed to help. By the time I returned to the dealership. UGH! I didn;t feel good at all.

The Concours...LOVED the ride, the power, the handling!  :motonoises:  I guess I am stuck with my Vision for a while.  :mad: 

I must say though...this is a great forum, lots of good people and information. THANK  YOU TO ALL for your input! Maybe I just need to drop a few more LBS. 

I'd suggest you find a Connie owner local to you who has the different comfort mods. I'm in CT, and have most of the mods... you can always try mine out.

KLR you might try this, i ride my 10 speed cycle at leat 3 times a week. this motion smoothes off the male and female joint ends. If the ends are rough, it will cause you pain. So along with the peg lowers and a little tall corbin seat, i ride for two hour at a time without ever moving my feet off the peg and i'm 6'6". the cycle will help your joints. dam betcha'