• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Riding a train now to pick up my 03 Connie

jpw

Big Wheel
Hi,
A few days ago I bought an 03 Connie with about 11.5 K miles. I had to drive from Seattle  to Portland to look at it and it's in perfect condition AND included a zumo gps. So I drove back all excited about the bike that I purchased but didn't have ! 
My wife wanted to wait 2 weeks to take me down there since she was going anyway. Ummm no, I can't wait that long.
So right now I'm on an Amtrak train to Portland with my gear and am going to drive it back up. Should  be a great ride - perfect weather.
I currently have a 94 KLR650 and an 08 Versys. I was going to wait until I sold the Versys to get the Connie, but I guess I got impatient and could tell this was a very responsible owner so I'm jumping on this..

I guess you could call me a 'motorcycle slut' but I think I'll keep the connie - I've owned:
78 Suzuki tc125
82 kaw kz550 ltd
83 kaw kz750 ltd
82 Honda v45 Sabre
03 (I think) kaw zr-7s
92 Hon st-1100 (RIP - hit by car)
03 BMW F-650
86 KLR250
95 klr650
94 klr650 (hit by car but I replaced the front end)
08 Versys

I've had the Versys since new and I guess you could say I like it, but don't love it... Great bike for around town, awesome ride and I even completed an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 3 weeks ago in it with no problems except, of course, a sore butt for about 3
days. I just want a bigger bike and something more comfy for the wifey. I've had my eye on Connies for many years and now it's time to get one. When I was looking at the pics of the connie, I noticed the bags weren't as ugly as I'd remembered , but wasn't sure why.. Turns out, the owner had painted the aluminum band around the bags, which I think makes them look pretty good...
I'll post pics soon, but the first things I'm going to do are raise the seat with more foam and get the footpeg lowering kit so my knees survive... 

-John

Enjoy! Back when I picked up my new leftover 01 via a ~250 mi Amtrak ride.

ps - don't forget to join COG

Great snag, John! I bought my first Connie ('03) in January of this year, but had to wait until St. Paddy's Day to ride it home, so I can understand your impatience.

I just returned from a 2,600+ kilometer road trip, and can say to you that you've made a wise choice.

And, yeah, don't forget to join COG ... you won't regret it.

Simon

Thanks all for the welcome ! The ride was pretty awesome - perfect weather - about 80 and not a cloud anywhere .. I was going between 70-78 most of the way...
I'm definitely going to get the footpeg lowers - but first am going to adjust the rear shock - the PO was about 130 lbs and I'm over 200 ...
I pulled out of the driveway and wow it's big and heavy compared to what I've ridden.. Nice pickup, good turner and I got quickly used to the bike..
I wasn't impressed with the front brakes compared to the rear - the rear felt like they gripped better - he put steel braided lines -I'll bleed them next weekend.
The only bad thing was about 2 hours into the 4 hour trip, I got some pretty bad hesitation/surging while going up a hill - I could only go about 65 and had to get over to the right quickly since traffic was over 70.. It felt like a really dirty carb or something..

Luckily it lasted only about 60 seconds. kinda scary... it seemed fairly random since I'd been riding so long and hadn't stopped yet..

before and after that it ran like a top, though, starting right up after stops, etc..
As quickly as it started, it stopped and ran perfectly the entire trip after that.. I guess it was maybe something crappy in the gas tank or something... I've read something about the carbs having a problem here - hopefully it's not that but I'll read more about the symptoms..

I'll surely join COG -

The bike was more comfortable than I thought despite the seating position - another mod I'm going to do soon is to make my seat higher which I think will help..

Thanks so much for the welcome again and I'll be active here for sure...

Hi John,
  Welcome to the Forum.  I wonder if there might have been a bubble of water waiting to be inhaled?  Hopefully we'll see you at some local activity.

Welcome, from the other side of the country. Bike seems like it's starving for fuel when you are asking for more power. Free things to check, kinked gas line, petcock inlet screen, external fuel filter, if equipped. Most likely the kinked line.

I'd want to make sure that is not going to be an issue iff'n you jump out to pass somebody on a 2 lane road, and all of a sudden you need everything she's got.

Edit to add: My next post, I turn 200. I'll hafta think about something quite thought provoking. ;)

Thanks much Steve - I'll check on those things - not sure if it's that serious or mechanical/long term fuel flow issue since it only lasted about 60 seconds out of a 4 hour ride..

I was poking around and did see an in-line filter - however I have no idea how old the gas was . I'll definitely keep an eye on it - rode to work today and it was awesome..

I can tell I'm using/developing muscles I haven't in a long time - don't think I've ever had a bike which bent my knees this much.

While I'm riding it's fine, but sometimes lifting my foot off the peg during stop while my knees are bent like they are taps into muscle fibers I haven't used in a very long time!

I have murphs knee savers and it might not seam like an inch and a half isn't a lot but it really makes a big difference in the comfort leval.

Just thought I'd check in - running like a top still, so no carb issues.  Finally got it registered and put the new license plate (with Iron Butt plate of course!) on .

Only issue the bike has is slight leaking around the tightener bolt of the blue aftermarket tensioner. I'll see if it's loose (hopefully)

Oh, and I joined COG just about an hour ago - not sure how long it takes to get my COG num or for it to show up on my sig but I'm official!

Congrats John, I love a good motorcycle slut! 
facepalm.gif
smiley_smackbottom.gif

Welcome JPW, nice snag!

Should be easy enough to stop the leak on the tensioner.
You could even make your own gasket up if you wanted to.

The Volcano ride is coming up soon if you want to meet up with fellow Pac NW Coggers!  :motonoises: