• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

riding boots

lena5284

Bicycle
Getting serious about replacing my Technics waterproof boot. I've been looking at Tourmaster solution WP Air and TCX S-Sportour Evo Waterproof. The Technics were not as waterproof as I would like and after 3 years of use are beginning to show there age and they are HOT especially after putting insoles in them. I've read some reviews about the Tourmasters but can't find reviews about the Tcx boot. Can anybody give me any info? Thanks

My wife has TCX boots. Waterproof, and she has done more than a few 10 mile hikes in them on trips and says they are comfortable. Nor sure if they still do, but they use to make the boots BMW sold under their brand.

Can't offer any info about either brand of boots, but several years back I got a set of Alpinstars boots which were a size too large, but were 70% off.  The price made it a worthwhile purchase, but I also learned something.  The too-large boots were ideal for those 19-hour trips from Tampa to Mom's house in Wilmington, DE.  When I commute it's not an issue, but on those long long trips, my feet tend to swell a bit and they stay comfortable the whole trip.  They've lasted for years, mostly because I only wear them on the really long trips.

ChipDoc said:
Can't offer any info about either brand of boots, but several years back I got a set of Alpinstars boots which were a size too large, but were 70% off.  The price made it a worthwhile purchase, but I also learned something.  The too-large boots were ideal for those 19-hour trips from Tampa to Mom's house in Wilmington, DE.  When I commute it's not an issue, but on those long long trips, my feet tend to swell a bit and they stay comfortable the whole trip.  They've lasted for years, mostly because I only wear them on the really long trips.
Thank you that's a valid point I hadn't even thought about.

Rain Dancer said:
My wife has TCX boots. Waterproof, and she has done more than a few 10 mile hikes in them on trips and says they are comfortable. Nor sure if they still do, but they use to make the boots BMW sold under their brand.

I've got some TXC X-Miles WP boots and have ridden in them (mostly commuting) for over a year or 15,000ish miles, and I ride year round in most weather.  They seem to have kept my feet dry in everything so far.  They're a bit toasty in the summer, but managable and they've done good for me well below freezing.  I did have to get some gel inserts which took the boot from fitting okay, to fitting well; that might be the case for many boots.  The other thing is that the boots are held tight by two velcro straps.  One of my straps has dramatically lost its grippyness ("Dictionionary check on aisle three!")

Water proof:    Pass
Comfort:          Pass/okay
Warmth:          Pass
Air flow:            It's a water proof boot - don't be silly
Durability:        Still on the fence

I have a pair of Sidi Canyons, in just the right size. Wish they were bigger...often wish they were bigger. Hardly wear them any more, cause at ride's end, my feet are too big for my boots.

Recently bought Forma Adventure boots, a size "too big". Ahhh! What comfort!!!! Best boots ever.

TCX, top quality and they fit a bit wider for my 3e wide feet.  I have the x5 goretex  there 3 years old and still going strong I normally only get 1 or 2 seasons out of boots,  so I bought another pair this spring just in case the do something dumb like change the design. 

previously I had tourmaster solutions 1st and 2nd generation  in the wide size,  comfortable and waterproof but the soles are thin and wear thru if you walk in them a lot. 

bear in mind a waterproof boot is going to be hot in the summer, even the goretex versions.

I would recommend a goretex boot  for the waterproofing and for the warranty, goretex  really backs their warranty and  the manufacturer will typically just send a new item out if theres a problem. its part of goretex's quality assurance requirements, they test every item that has the gore label on it and go a long way to keep their brand in good standing like forcing  vendors to honor warranty or you dont get to use the goretex name.