• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Riding Pants versus Over Pants

slybonesjesse

Sport Tourer
I currently have First Gear HT Overpants. These fit nicely over existing jeans or shorts and work nicely for riding to work. And then just being able to slip them off and your good to go in your work attire. I have also used them over shorts on the hot days, etc. After 5 years the zipper has blown out of one of the legs. Pretty much needs a new zipper and the few places I have contact say $$$$ if they can do it. Looking at new pants it seems many are riding pants and dont fit over your existing gear, your wear them in place of your existing pants. This seems like I would have to 'change' at work versus slip on/off. Otherwise pros and cons. How many are wearing riding pants versus over pants and how do you like it. If you only had one pair, how about hot days / cold days, and an overall wide temp range pair. 2003 Concours, 58K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Carharts with the double front opened up between the rivets with rider warhorse tf3 knee pads inserted. These are the pads they use in their Darion suits. Got the idea from a thread you started last year. I ware these to work riding or not as I spent some time on my knees most days. I will ware overpants on long rides. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Yeah I have been wearing the carharts, with the armor in them for nice days, where its a riding day and not a work day. Still like the HT over pants in this regard. With the armor out of the Overpants and in the carharts, I can slip the overpants over the carharts for rain protection in case, and not be all whacked out in the knees with too much armor. Overpants work for work days, since I have the office job and want to wear more office clothes underneath. I guess I am talking myself into another set of Overpants. But would still like to hear from those who love riding pants ( not overpants ) any why. 2003 Concours, 58K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I've got a pair of Tourmaster Flex Pants that I have used for two years, both as an overpant for workdays and as pants for weekenders. Seem to work (and wear) well enough, and I like the extra insulation and waterproof features. They are also easy enough to get on and off. COG #8892 CDA #0309 Founding member of Florist Friars, International.

Since I gave up wearing leathers I've always worn stuff to go over my street clothes. I think it is the only cost effective way to go if you don't want to limit when you can ride with protective gear. I bought the FirstGear HT Air 2.0 Mesh Overpants a year ago to replace my crash damaged, 18 year old, Aerostich Roadcrafter 2 piece suit. I suspect that they won't provide the crash protection that my Roadcrafter did. But otherwise I'm very happy with them. Mike Aldea, COG-528 Hawthorne, NJ
2469478460102652906xWTIGW_th.jpg
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg

I have the HT overpants (Much on yours and others recommendations). I like them...Alot! I will say that sometimes it is especially a pain to get on in cold weather. But I do like the safety aspect. I try and wear them on all occasions (but....). I also like them because I can wear pants, slacks, kacki's etc with them overtop. I know lots of people that have the riding pants and they complain that they don't have enough of them. For me the overpants are great for that reason 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 20k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CMA #140229 CDA #0308

Well I went to order another pair of FirstGear HT Overpants and they are sold out in my size. I tried several online stores and local shops. All say the same thing. -- After 5 years of of daily commute and many Pacific Northwet Winters doing the daily commute, I will never complaint about my FirstGear attire. Now I have a pair of TourMaster Caliber overpants. These are some pretty nice pants as well. There are things I like about both. If I could mix and match em. Some of the highlights / comparison notes would be: - 3/4 length zippers on the side versus HT full length. But it is enough to step in and out. Can get on and off with the boots on ok. So not really a big deal. -- Zippers seemed bigger and beefier on the HT. I hope these last getting zipped several times a day during daily commute. - The 3/4 zippers allow for padding in the hips. Like many jackets in the shoulders and elbows, these have some padding with the abrasion resistant material sewn into the hips. Then on the inside have a removeable foam pad. - CE Armor in the knee's - Use of Abrasion material in the butt and back of thighs. My 5yr HT pants were all regular material in the butt. The Calibers are the HD material in the butt. - Caliber pants have snaps at the waist, where the HT's had a buckle. The HT never came undone. The snaps suck. Gonna have the wife go to store and get supplies and sew that in. - all the basic stuff. zip attachments to the jackets, removable insulated liner, pockets, storm flaps, etc. etc. - I think the Caliber pants will be even warmer yet in the HOT weather, with the extra materials and construction of these. However it might also be a little better with just shorts on underneath with the CE Armor, extra hip padding and use of abrasion materials. Will have to see in this part. http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP4427.JPG http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP4428.JPG All in all, with a buckle closure system in the waist, and as long as I dont melt ( carharts with Armor to the rescue ) These will work ok. 2003 Concours, 59K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Had a set of Caliber pants which lasted in all weather, over pants and not, for two years. Zippers and snaps were all well made. Downfall was the lining broke up in the crotch area and it got uncomfortable during a recent rainstorm. Now have a set of Fieldsheers but not much use as of yet. EDIT: Fieldsheers were uncomfortable. Returned them and got a replacement set of Caliber pants. All is well. COG #8892 CDA #0309 Remember: Only Hugh can stop Florist Friars!

I have a pair of snow pants that I purchased from modell's a few years ago. they were on sale so I couldn't pass it up. If you have a place to change it shouldn't be a big deal.I'd would think that with overpants, wouldn't your work pants be all wrinkled if you wear dress slacks?

While I was attending the national rally in Tomah this summer, I stopped into the bike store in La Crosse to check out clothing. The store gave me 20% off overpants and jacket system from Speed and Strength. The SnS gear is really a system of clothing. The jacket shell holds the elbow armor in a mesh layer. The forearm sleeves zip off in warm weather. If you were younger and more flexible than I am you could attach sleeves while wearing jacket but I take it off first. The jacket shell has lots of venting in front and rear back. In fact, the lower back has a zipper vent pocket that is meant to hold the sleeves you take off. Really nice feature. The mesh layer is comfortable to wear exposed in 80 degree weather. The jacket shell has a zip in liner for a second layer of water- and windproofing. The liner has a foldover flap to cover the internal zipper once closed. Finally, there is a snap-in quilted but thin insulated vest. The resulting jacket combination is warm enough to ride I-94 in Wisconsin today in 40 degree weather. When the temp goes down to 30 I will put my Eddie Bauer down vest over the jacket to cut the wind. The overpants are also a two-piece system. The pants shell have leg zippers from the outside thigh to the ankle. There are two zippers so you can zip one down and one up for limited venting or, zip one down to open the whole side. There is velcro at the leg cuff to seal the end around your boot. The waistband is curved upward in back to cover your lower back sitting on the bike. Nice touch. The pants have a liner that zips into the waistband. The liner has elastic at the leg opening that I stick into my 10" leather Skechers riding boots. The velcro keeps drafts out while I put my feet on my Kuryakin pegs. I got the whole set for around $324 from STEIGER-KAWASAKI MOTORS. I needed the XL overpants to go with my L jacket. They gave me free shipping to my house when the pants came in. I did ask a local seamstress to add a hook clasp on the waist to keep the pants closed. The snap front didn't. Now things stay closed when I inhale. :) My signature below shows a pic of me riding in the jacket. Always rode in jeans, now I know better. Matt

And... Where I work during the college school year, I wear a shirt with tie and khakis or dress pants. The overpants fit well over slacks. During summer, I wear overpants over jeans for the protection. Matt

I have a three year old pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants that I really like. Being able to remove a panel that exposes mesh really makes a difference in hotter weather. The only other pants I'd consider would be the Tourmaster Flex pants. I have a set of $500 Aerostitch Darrien that hang in the closet unused cause they are simply too hot to wear and downright uncomfortable in any temp over 75 degrees.

The newer pants that have zip out panels to expose mesh are (in my opinion) the only way to go, since you can wear them in virtually any weather.

I just replaced my worn out HT pants with their TPG Escape pants.  The escape are an overpant but they sure fit nice. I have not been in the rain to test them yet, but I would guess they are 100% waterproof as stated.

Fred H. said:
I have a three year old pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants that I really like. Being able to remove a panel that exposes mesh really makes a difference in hotter weather. The only other pants I'd consider would be the Tourmaster Flex pants. I have a set of $500 Aerostitch Darrien that hang in the closet unused cause they are simply too hot to wear and downright uncomfortable in any temp over 75 degrees.

The newer pants that have zip out panels to expose mesh are (in my opinion) the only way to go, since you can wear them in virtually any weather.

+1 I have them too and find them a good combination for the NW Weather.
Like Fred I use NewEnough the offer fair price and good service.

Well it lools like it was Early May when I got these TourMaster riding pants. this morning the zipper broke on them. Barely 1 year. The FirstGears, the zippers went 5 + years before zipper failure. These just over a year. Gonna contact TourMaster and see what they have to say. Most likely past any warranty period.

so I managed to get the zipper back together. And then put a couple safety pins in it so that I would not unzip it past the bad spot. I does unzip far enough that I have been able to get them on and off with the boots on. so its been livable.

The morning the zipper in the other leg crapped out.  FPOS. I am going back to FirstGear gear.

In 5+ years of wearing the FirstGear HT overpants day in and day out, commuting in the Pacific Northwet winters, and some crazy ass rain storms on rides, one about 8hrs long, I had never gotten gotten somewhere, or to work, or gotten home and looked like I pee'd my pants.  -- With the TourMasters in barely a year I have pee'd my pants several times. Fortunately on the way home. I think I would go nuts if I got to work like that.  And both zippers done.

Too much info! What, were you doing an Iron but thing and couldn't stop? Or are you saying you couldn't get them open in time? Maybe these would help: Depend®

What do you mean too much information. Seems like the kind of information everyone should know when choosing riding pants.

Some manufacturers claim to be 100% waterproof and some really are. With one pair of riding pants I got over 5 years and never once had them soak through such that when I took them off "I looked like" I pee'd my pants. With the other set of riding pants in just one year I have had them soak through several times, such that when I tool them off "I looked like" I pee'd my pants. 

Does that mean the one pair were not waterproof at all. No. They held up pretty good to most the weather. I dont have any sort of record for riding in the rain or anything, but riding year around to/from work in he Seattle area I have seem my share of weather. The second pair held up to the light rain ok. They held up the the heavy stuff most the time. My commute is only 23mi one way. And they have soaked through, several times, in just 23mi of decent rain storm. -- I dont even want to know how these would have done several years ago on a multi-day ride where doing a loop in Montana we did aprox 400mi in the rain. -- My other pair of riding pants made it through this day, and when I took them off my pants underneath were dry. A little bit of wet where the jeans hung down underneath the end of the pant legs. But in the crotch and other areas, dry.

With the right pant leg zipper ( the first one to come apart ),  I got the zipper together and put in the safety pins so I would not unzip past the bad spot And it has been holding up for the last 3 weeks or so.

With the left leg zipper which came apart yesterday morning, I got it back together last night and rode in this morning. when taking them off this morning the whole metal zipper piece came apart. Looks like the left leg is done for sure.

WillyP said:
Slybones said:
I have pee'd my pants several times.

This part. I realize you meant 'looked like' but you didn't write that, so I'm just bustin on ya... ;)

No problem. Ya gotta take them opportunities when they present themselves. I do. I expect the same in return.

TourMaster got back to me. $50 Plus shipping to them. The $50 includes the repairs and the return shipping. I responded to make sure that was BOTH zippers and they said yes.

June 23rd.... hmmmm.....

When the TourMaster customer service person responded to my emails telling me the price, confirming my follow up questions, etc I was sent a RMA request form to fill out and fax in. That was 6/23 as I see here by my last post. So far no response from them with a RMA number or instructions. I emailed that same customer service person last week with no response yet.

Starting to be disappointed again. Bummed me out that these zippers failed so quickly. But then got encouraged again when TM responded they would fix them for cheap even though out of waranty. Now thats fading quickly. Getting tired of riding around with no pants on. I am sure people on 405 are too. I feel naked riding to/from work.

Well I ended up having to send in my RMA form 3 times before I finally got a return number and shipped off my pants for them to fix. My assumption was still $50 to fix them including return shipping.  It was July 13 when I got them boxed and handed to the UPS man.

Today my pants returned. A brand new pair of riding pants, fresh off the shelf, tags, coat hanger, all bagged up, etc.. $0.00.

So while I have been a little frustraited with the slow customer service, I cannot complain about the end result. I got a new pair of pants.

8) Sounds like Success, I guess it never hurts to be a little noisy. There are still companies out there that don't want to lose you as a customer.
I am new to Sport touring and still have, chaps and leather jacket. It would be nice to drive to and from work not looking like I just came off a horse though.
Thanks for the info you all provided on the types of pants available. I will be at the rally next week and hope to get some more info from you all. Hopefully there will be some Suppliers there as well.  :)

Joe said:
Thanks for the info you all provided on the types of pants available. I will be at the rally next week and hope to get some more info from you all. Hopefully there will be some Suppliers there as well.  :)
Not trying to hijack Slybones' success story so I just wanted to add that I wear Speed and Strength overpants and jacket to work. I also have an inexpensive hi-vis yellow rain jacket and pants.  I choose to get the S&S pants one size up to go over slacks, belt.

I have yet to wear only the S&S gear in a heavy rain.  In a heavy rain, I can zip off the jacket sleeves to reveal the mesh underneath which breathes nicely under the yellow jacket.

Highly recommend S&S if you see it sold near you.  I bought from a LaCrosse, WI dealer who discounted them during last year's Nationals in Tomah.  Buy local, think global!  :)

Have fun in VT,
Matt

Well its been 7 months since TourMaster replaced by pants because the zippers crapped out.  this morning the left leg zipper separated slightly from the pants where it was sewn. It was tough but I got them zipped up this morning. Removing them when I got to work was harder. the bad spot is right in the curve for the knee. So I unzipped them to that spot. Still a bit low to easily slip on and off with the boots on.

7 months.  The first pair went slightly over a year before the right leg zipper went. I put in some safety pins and went 3 weeks before the left side went. The pants were 13-14mo old at that point. Past the 1 year warranty. But ... and while a little frustrated with the slow customer service,  TourMaster replaced them.  -- Now 7 months later zipper problems already.

Over the years I've had two sets of tourmaster riding pants and both held up very well, to the point of wearing out the material, not the zippers. Sorry their quality has gone south or "far East".

Time to start saving for that "Stich"  ;)