• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Riding partner and route to SW Rally from Thousand Oaks, CA

cooljerk

Training Wheels
I am heading out to the Prescott rally early Friday morning. Who else is coming from my direction that would like to posse up? This is my first ride to this area. It looks like mostly a boring freeway drone. Do any of you have a better route than straight out the 10 fwy? 40E?, CA62E?

Just a thought but if you wanna make it a day jump on Angeles Crest (2) in La Canada to the 15 in Cajon Pass. 15 to the 40. Pop off on Rt 66 in Ludlow all the way to needles, cross the river and pick up 66 again through Oatman, pet a donkey and down the east side and stay on the 66 to kingman. Back on the 40 to 93 then 89 into Prescott. Way more fun than slab. Me suspects you'll run across Russ or DGold somewhere along the way.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Just a thought but if you wanna make it a day jump on Angeles Crest (2) in La Canada to the 15 in Cajon Pass. 15 to the 40. Pop off on Rt 66 in Ludlow all the way to needles, cross the river and pick up 66 again through Oatman, pet a donkey and down the east side and stay on the 66 to kingman. Back on the 40 to 93 then 89 into Prescott. Way more fun than slab. Me suspects you'll run across Russ or DGold somewhere along the way.

Now that would be a full day! Mark how is route 66 from Kingman to Seligman?  Never been on it and it would add some more miles to the adventure!

BTW were you suggesting heading south on the 93 off the 40 past Kingman and then going north on the 89 to Prescott?  I would probably be riding that route by myself.....no others would be crazy enough to join me!!  :motonoises:  ;)

1st 5 or 6 mi out of Kingman is small town traffic. After that some nice open sweepers and a nice canyon run next to the railroad tracks. Neat little bygone roadside stuff to see. Watch to the right to see the original rt 66 and some neat bridges over the river. I would rate it as pleasant. Given a choice running between Kingman and Flagstaff it would be my preferred route over the infrustrate. Yes. the 89 No is a nice little slice of asphalt heaven. That's the way I'm heading in. Mind the Po Po. You can cut off early on the 97 to the 96 into Hillside/Kirkland and pick up the 89. That's another nice ride with sweepers and elevation changes through washes and canyons. Pretty fun. Gonna be a hoot. C Ya There!

Additional information on Route 66 out of Kingman.  I-40 east end of Kingman get off on Andy Devin and turn left, under the Highway, you are on Route 66.  Once past the airport there will be no traffic lights.  Up the road, 1st stop is Hackberry (photo #1).  Next, you'll work up the side of a canyon with the RR tracks below you on the right near Valentine.  Then up onto the mesa and Truxon followed by the Hualapai Reservation and Peach Springs...don't get a ticket for speeding as you will go to Indian Court as you are on their reservation  :truce:.  Once past the Reservation next stop is Grand Canyon Caverns...can't miss it as it's the home of the green dinosaur.  Say HI! to a brethren of my 1st adventure bike next to our latest adv bike (Caverns photos 2 & 3).  Next stop Seligman, eat at the Road Kill Cafe (Photo#4) or where the locals eat, Lilo's Cafe, just across the street.  Also check out the goofy motorcycles (Photo #5)

Once you're at the east end of Seligman look for the turn off to Crooksten, turns off to the right.  Kind of a fun brisk ride that ends into I-40 (Exit 139) a few miles short of Exit 146 where you will turn off onto Hwy 89 and head South to Prescott.

http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/propertyalchemist/slideshow/Kingman%20Seligmen%20Route%2066?sort=6

Bert

Cooljerk said:
I am heading out to the Prescott rally early Friday morning. Who else is coming from my direction that would like to posse up? This is my first ride to this area. It looks like mostly a boring freeway drone. Do any of you have a better route than straight out the 10 fwy? 40E?, CA62E?

I sent you an e-mail via ProvoJack and Russ etc... saying I am in Oak Park and will be leaving on Friday morning as well. Seems like the latest plan may be to meet up with Russ in Banning around 6am. That is doable and a more direct to Prescott than meeting in Orange County. However, I see there are some other alternative routes being hatched which also sound promising.

Old Man on a Connie said:

This too sounds like a good plan. I am leaving from Oak Park -- (right next to Thousand Oaks) on Friday morning. I think I may prefer this route to slabbing it. Where are you leaving from?  :great: