• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Riding to the national, looking for suggestions!

Gigantor

I plan on leaving for the National on the 14th, spending the night somewhere then riding to rally central.  I could slab it on 81 all the way but what fun would that be so I'm asking for suggestions on better roads to travel or if someone could use some company (you know safety in numbers) I'm open to ideas.

Thanks,
Alex

For those from the NE heading South towards the National..............

Joanne and I will most likely lay up in Roanoke Va. on Saturday night on our way to the National.

We'll stay at the Colony House Motor Lodge and Taxi into Downtown for dinner & drinks. We've stayed here before and are very happy with the facility and rates.
http://www.colonyhousemotorlodge.com/

Downtown Roanoke is VERY COOL, with several bars and eateries right in the center of town.

Will most likely run south to Floyd and pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway taking it to Boone before heading west into Johnson City.

All invited to join us.
Jason
COG 62

Gigantor said:
Jason, where are you leaving from?  I'm in Bronx, NY.

Alex,
I'm in Johnstown Pa. so riding together isn't an option.
Just thought Roanoke might make for a good 1st day destination for you.
Jason

There's also a Meet and Eat on Saturday night in Marion, which was set up for people going to the
National.  Some of us will be staying in the area Saturday night, then taking the scenic route to Johnson City on Sunday.

Alex,

I think there will be a number  of Coggers at the Twisted Throttle Open House in May, a good opportunity to share travel ideas or buddy up if departure dates match. We could also dedicate a couple of hours of the May Hudson Valley  Meet/greet/ride to share route ideas to the national. Also,  am sure there will be some sidebar discussions at Tech Day, another opportunity to share ideas in person.  Personally, I have not made any plans yet, all I know is that we will be leaving on Wednesday, June 11.

I can't speak to the PA areas, but if you could parallel 81 to the north, coming down through West Virginia, you would not be disappointed.  Likewise, if you picked up the Skyline Drive/BRP in Front Royal VA, that's a comfortable ride down too.  That would match up with the others in Roanoke.

Personally, I might try taking the PA turnpike close to Bedford, take 70 and 68 south from there to Cumberland.  then 220 to 50 to 219 going south through WV.  From Lewisburg WV there's a great road over the mountain to Roanoke.  but you could also follow 219 and 460 on down too.

Sport Rider said:
......coming down through West Virginia, you would not be disappointed.

Yes, I was thinking of the WV route, maybe staying in Marlinton for a nite. Have not really done much route planning yet except in these broad terms.

Alex your be coming down my way, I live in York Pa.  I don't know yet if I'm going to slab it, or pick a secondary route through WV. 220 or219 in WV look interesting.

I would consider staying in Buckhannon, WV, then heading down Rt 20.  It's a fun road, one of my favorites in that area.  Could be a long day, but you can always get on I-77 and I-81 to shorten the time at the end.

gMitch said:
Sport Rider said:

Yes, I was thinking of the WV route, maybe staying in Marlinton for a nite. Have not really done much route planning yet except in these broad terms.

hit up the Old Clark Inn.  Andrea and Nelson are great folks.  Nelson is a rider.

Glenn said:
I would consider staying in Buckhannon, WV, then heading down Rt 20.  It's a fun road, one of my favorites in that area.  Could be a long day, but you can always get on I-77 and I-81 to shorten the time at the end.

Consider staying at the Tygert Lake State Park at the lodge there.

Sport Rider said:
gMitch said:
Sport Rider said:

hit up the Old Clark Inn.  Andrea and Nelson are great folks.  Nelson is a rider.

I've stayed at the Old Clark Inn.  Nice people, and a canopy for the bike.

I probably will be camping. Has anybody ever camped at Holly River State Park in Hacker Valley?

gMitch said:
I probably will be camping. Has anybody ever camped at Holly River State Park in Hacker Valley?

I have never camped at Holly River but it is a nice area and the riding is Excellent!
You'll want to seek out Rella's diner a few miles south.
It's one of our favorite stops when in the area.
jason

gMitch said:

Been there, but didn't actually spend a night, and I can't really speak to the amenities.  It looks nice, though.  Other than Rella's  :-\ there's not a lot of restaurants, or, well, anything else around, so just be prepared for that.  There's also little convenience store nearby.   

My brother and I are leaving from Columbia PA/Wrightsville PA on Saturday morning.  I planned a very scenic, twisty route to Charleston WV via Maryland.  :motonoises: We plan to stay overnight in Charleston and hit Johnson City Mid day Sunday via other scenic routes in West Virginia.  I hope to have a link to the routes soon that were done on the HD Trip Planner.

Alex,
like others have suggested, you can't go wrong going down through west Virginia. I was there last week for a couple of days of riding, it was great!
My rough route  right now is to leaving on 6/11, blaze through PA and spend a night either in Elkins or Buckhannon. The next day, 6/12 ride county and state roads only through to Morehead, KY. The plan for 6/13 is to ride from Morehead through Daniel Boone National Forest down to South Central TN near the boarder with Alabama, spend 6/14 down there. On 6/15 dip down into Scottsboro Alabama and swing northeast to Johnson City.

gsjay said:
I just booked a room at the Colony House in Roanoke Va for the trip south.

http://www.colonyhousemotorlodge.com/

Called direct and got a rate of $56.99 + tax

I'll be there Saturday June 14th if anyone wants to join in.
Jason
COG 62
I have had to adjust my travel plans..........
I will be at the Colony House Sunday night June 15th if anyone wants to join Joanne and I.
jason

Still doing route planning. Have not decided whether to take more of an eastern route (i.e. BRP) or swing out further west to WV and find myself in the vicinity New River Gorge Sunday night. Roanoke might be a decent Sunday night stop over if the eastern option wins out.

Jason, Val and I and Ken and Jennie will be arriving the 14th joining you at the Colony Inn we'll be coming in from Paint Bank and leaving from Hagerstown. If everything works out. :beerchug:

Sailor Rich said:
Jason, Val and I and Ken and Jennie will be arriving the 14th joining you at the Colony Inn we'll be coming in from Paint Bank and leaving from Hagerstown. If everything works out. :beerchug:
Did you see my post above?
I won't be there until Sunday the 15th.
jason