• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rifle windshield system

v8shadow

Road Bike
  Alright guys.  First of all, let me tell you that even though I am new to the forum, I am one that does my research.  Somethimes exhaustive research.  That is what led me to the Connie in the first place.  I am picking out certain farkles just like everyone else has done ie; Murph's handlebar risers and possibly knee savers, a Rifle windshield, and am still on the hunt for an 86 backrest.  Hers's to hoping that DannyL can come through for me on that one!
  Now with all that said, I have been searching our forums archives (there really is no better place) for information/reviews on just how people feel about buying and installing the Rifle windshield system on their Concs.  Even after HOURS of reading I have yet to see what explains how the rifle is different from all the other windshields that just bolt onto the existing cowling.  Even on the Rifle site, there is nothing that explains what makes the Rifle windshield system an actual "system" as opposed to just a windshield.  Furthermore, while I am pretty sure that I know how to size up the right windshield for me (windshield height coming up to somewhere between the nose and adam's apple according to Rifle's site) for maximum effectiveness against wind woes along with good visibility over the windshield, I have yet to see anything on our site or any other for that matter that has the passengers comfort against the same wind problems, in mind.  So, after all that my questions are as follows.

*What makes the Rifle windshield system, a true "system" of components as opposed to just a windshield that bolts into place?  I know it consists of a base that bolts to the cowling and a windshield that bolts to the base....but a "system"??
*What does this system do, and how does it do it, in regards to diminishing the wind problems.
*I see mosts posts referring to the 19" Rifle.  Is this the "weapon of choice" among the enthusiasts as far as length choice?
*How does the 19" Rifle do in regards to THE PASSENGER.
*Then there's Cee Bailey which I can get a bit cheaper at Murph's, but again, how does this shield in say.......hmmm.....26.5" do for THE PASSENGER.

I am sick today.  I tinkered with my Connie's droopy mirror last night ending at 1AM.  From that point on, I have been terribly sick, and am running on less than 4hrs sleep.  After today,  with nothing but time on my hands (I called off patrol for today) I hope to have most of my farkle research done, with orders being placed very soon.  Heck, I even got to speak with Murph personally for a short time.  Sounds like a good ol' boy.

I never carry a passenger so I can't answer those questions. 

The "system" aspect of the Rifle is exactly what you said: It uses a black plastic base that attaches to the bike, and then the clear windshield mounts onto that.  That's all it is.  Once you have the base, you can change the clear portion if you want to have a different height 'shield for summer vs winter use.  Also, the clear portion is a single curve, not a compound curve like most others, so you can get plexiglass and make your own if you want.  That is possible but much more difficult without the base, because the bike's main fairing is a compound curve, so getting a 'shield to match that is a pain.  You can get tinted plexi also if you want that.  (Other brands are also available tinted, too.) 

The Rifle base has a section in the middle that is depressed so as to let ram air get under it and flow up behind the 'shield, which balances the air pressure and gets rid of a lot of the low-pressure turbulence and helmet buffetting.  Other brands do this with a hole or "vent" of some sort.  The OEM 'shield and some others have a "flip" at the top which actually creates turbulence.  The Rifle has no "flip". 

Being a single curve, it is very easy to cut and trim to whatever height you like.  I bought one I knew would be too high and cut it a couple of times until I got it right.  Just about anything you install will be an improvement over the OEM unit.  I love my Rifle but I have a friend with a Clearview, and he rode my bike and hated the Rifle.  To each his own.

One other thing is that the Rifle base is pretty heavy plastic and can be use as a mounting place for small equipment shelf and/or for do-dads and other things you might want in front of your face.

I guess if it has more then one part its a system ??? The base changes height and the angle of the shield. The base has a vent in the top edge to help with back pressure on the shield. I guess all three things working to gether is a system. I think I read on here some where that the cb bolts on just like the stock shield and follows the same angle so the height diff. between the taller size and stock isn't that much. I think they measured from the gas tank up (its on here some where) the angle change withe the rifle makes for more of a height gain. I have a stock seat with murph risers ( half the price on eBay,found after ) I'm 6' and the 19" rifle puts me in a nice pocket of calm quiet air, much better then stock. I look thru the top couple of inches most of the time, with no distortion. if I sit up nice and straight I can see over the top. I love this shield, so calm and quite compared to stock, almost no wind. I have not tried any other type of shields to compare, but am so happy with this one I would buy another one with out trying another brand. Hope this helps.

I just recently went from a 26.5" CeeBailey to a Rifle with 19" shield.  I like the Rifle a lot more, but would actually like a little more height to the shield.  Shields are really about personal preference, and are a difficult thing to recommend.  I've gone through the stock shield, a Targa, a CeeBailey, and now the Rifle.  Each one has been better than the previous for me.  I agree with Dave about the Rifle, though I'm a little taller, and could use another inch or so on the screen. 

I ordered the Rifle.  I cant wait for it to get here.  There is nothing quite like an easy bolt on to change things soooo drastically.  I am excited. :)  I am hoping and praying it benefits my wife/passenger as much as it does me.
  Now I am all ready to pull the trigger on some Murph orders; risers and knee savers.

I like mine. It came with the bike and had a 14" clear shield on it. I put a 17" on for the winter in a bronze tint. I decided to keep it on for the summer. It works well as long as the temp stays under 105deg. Overall I am would buy it if I needed a shield change from the stock shield.
BAGS%204.jpg

Well, I slept on it (actually I just fell asleep for a minute on the couch here) and pulled the trigger on the other things.  I am finding out that regardless of the fact that I went for the cheaper/older/higher mileage bike on craigslist, that after its all said and done, I will not have saved myself that much in the long run over the higher priced/newer/lower mileage Connie.  It seems no matter what I do, I can just never get away from my old pal, Regret.  ::) 
  I am excited about how the bike is gonna feel when I'm done bolting this stuff on though. :great:

v8shadow said:
  Well, I slept on it (actually I just fell asleep for a minute on the couch here) and pulled the trigger on the other things.  I am finding out that regardless of the fact that I went for the cheaper/older/higher mileage bike on craigslist, that after its all said and done, I will not have saved myself that much in the long run over the higher priced/newer/lower mileage Connie.  It seems no matter what I do, I can just never get away from my old pal, Regret.  ::) 
  I am excited about how the bike is gonna feel when I'm done bolting this stuff on though. :great:
Regret dissipates with satisfaction, so go for a ride! You can't lose with your new farkles. The Rifle is the best windscreen for me, the peg lowers are an
absolute necessity, and bar risers just balance out the riding position. Ahh, but you've only just begun. You see, the dreaded disease, Farklitis, has
no known cure as of yet, but the effects, such as the shakes and stomach cramps, can be subdued with an occasional purchase for your Connie.
Wishing you pain-free riding!

I had to smile, V8, reading about what turned out to be your epic first C-10 project, "fixing the droopy mirrors"!  I bought an '03 about two months ago, and that was the very first thing I had to do, as well.  (And my project took waaay longer than it should have, so I can feel your "pain"!) 

Mine came with a very tall Cee Bailey, and I couldn't stand the curvy, distorted view.  I received my 15" Rifle just one day before a week-long trip to Tennessee, boy was I sweating the delivery on that, but thank God it arrived in time.  The view through the Rifle is crystal clear and it does let more air come through; in this hot weather the Cee Bailey was stifling. 

Oh and you want to talk about regret?  Yea lots of C-10s out there on Craigslist... I bought mine and a few weeks after purchase made a very disappointing discovery:  the bevel gearcase gasket was shot and needed to be replaced.  I did the work myself; $10 for the new gasket and a whole LOT of labor!  :-[  I became quite thoroughly acquainted with Connie in a very short time.  So count your blessings!  ;D

Alright guys. First of all, let me tell you that even though I am new to the forum, I am one that does my research. Somethimes exhaustive research. That is what led me to the Connie in the first place. I am picking out certain farkles just like everyone else has done ie; Murph's handlebar risers and possibly knee savers, a Rifle windshield, and am still on the hunt for an 86 backrest. Hers's to hoping that DannyL can come through for me on that one!
Now with all that said, I have been searching our forums archives (there really is no better place) for information/reviews on just how people feel about buying and installing the Rifle windshield system on their Concs. Even after HOURS of reading I have yet to see what explains how the rifle is different from all the other windshields that just bolt onto the existing cowling. Even on the Rifle site, there is nothing that explains what makes the Rifle windshield system an actual "system" as opposed to just a windshield. Furthermore, while I am pretty sure that I know how to size up the right windshield for me (windshield height coming up to somewhere between the nose and adam's apple according to Rifle's site) for maximum effectiveness against wind woes along with good visibility over the windshield, I have yet to see anything on our site or any other for that matter that has the passengers comfort against the same wind problems, in mind. So, after all that my questions are as follows.

*What makes the Rifle windshield system, a true "system" of components as opposed to just a windshield that bolts into place? I know it consists of a base that bolts to the cowling and a windshield that bolts to the base....but a "system"??
*What does this system do, and how does it do it, in regards to diminishing the wind problems.
*I see mosts posts referring to the 19" Rifle. Is this the "weapon of choice" among the enthusiasts as far as length choice?
*How does the 19" Rifle do in regards to THE PASSENGER.
*Then there's Cee Bailey which I can get a bit cheaper at Murph's, but again, how does this shield in say.......hmmm.....26.5" do for THE PASSENGER.

I am sick today. I tinkered with my Connie's droopy mirror last night ending at 1AM. From that point on, I have been terribly sick, and am running on less than 4hrs sleep. After today, with nothing but time on my hands (I called off patrol for today) I hope to have most of my farkle research done, with orders being placed very soon. Heck, I even got to speak with Murph personally for a short time. Sounds like a good ol' boy.
It is better at reducing the wind buffeting over the stock windscreen system is all. Best System for the connie's IMHO

I had to smile, V8, reading about what turned out to be your epic first C-10 project, "fixing the droopy mirrors"! I bought an '03 about two months ago, and that was the very first thing I had to do, as well. (And my project took waaay longer than it should have, so I can feel your "pain"!)

Mine came with a very tall Cee Bailey, and I couldn't stand the curvy, distorted view. I received my 15" Rifle just one day before a week-long trip to Tennessee, boy was I sweating the delivery on that, but thank God it arrived in time. The view through the Rifle is crystal clear and it does let more air come through; in this hot weather the Cee Bailey was stifling.

Oh and you want to talk about regret? Yea lots of C-10s out there on Craigslist... I bought mine and a few weeks after purchase made a very disappointing discovery: the bevel gearcase gasket was shot and needed to be replaced. I did the work myself; $10 for the new gasket and a whole LOT of labor! :-[ I became quite thoroughly acquainted with Connie in a very short time. So count your blessings! ;D
I would be very interested in buying your Cee Bailey if you still have it.

What Bud said...
If you're trying to reduce wind buffeting at speed, I actually cut my windshield down about 6" and it smoothed a lot.