• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Risers or not?Concours 14 2007

mathosalas723083

Hello to all.I need your opinions,a bit more these who allready did that.I'm 6.2"(1.89m)tall.I am thinking of handlebar risers installation or no?What about twisties with them too.Same feeling or relaxing mood?I like a lot turning a bit fast and not just follow the twist,If I am telling that correct...What's really the differences on riding with risers,your opinion pls...thanks

I like my 13 with the risers and the 2018 without. I move the seat back and forth so I am not sure which I like better yet. May take a few more trips. At 6'3 the risers give you a bit more of an upright posture so on the longer trips I notice it a bit more but I have never found anything negative when attacking the roads down in the Hocking Hills.

I know both bikes are the same geometry and with the Laam seat going back and forth I know that there is not much difference as both have the Knight Design lower pegs. When I ride without the risers I find a bit of a lean but I feel like my posture is better with my back straighter and more relaxed with not as much wind on the helmet ...so the jury is out for me.

I have a '13 as well, and not tall (thus not long arms, comparatively to thos 6' 2" or taller. That being said, I needed/wanted the risers to I could sit up straighter on the sport tourer vs leaned over, which would be more typical of one on a sport bike. This made my ride much more comfortable, as Konehead34 notes.

Here is an Amozon link for the footpegs
http Forget the broken link go to Amazon, search; knight design peg lowers concours

Last edited:
Ok, ive got ask, what is atrached to the gear shift ,that contacts ur boot? Seems to be something hanging down as well...

@freebird6 thks...any mods on needed for clutch height?
I adjusted it very easily as I wear Forma ADV boots to protect the artificial ankle /plates and screws and make the shifter more precise. I have been using the Bullshift product which is so nice with the limited motion post trauma. My 18 does not have it nor does the R1100 which is a pain once I got the precision of shift with the shift assist. Adjustment with the boots and shifter were pretty simple on this bike. I don't think I had to adjust the height even with the boots till I got the shifter

https://bullshiftsales.com/product-category/moto-pro-shifter/

I originally added risers, setback's, and wedges to my bike.
I immediately hated the wedges and removed them, leaving me with 2 1/8" of rise and 1" of setback.
The setup felt comfortable, but I'm not a cross country guy, and I do like/love the twisties. (y)
I soon discovered that I prefer to lean forward when I push thru the twisties, and the setup I had made me set in a more upright position.
So, I removed the setback riser and shortened my riser as much as I **could.
I now have only 1 3/8" rise, and plan to shorten the risers more when/if I can.

** My bike is lowered 3/4": I have a lowering Link at the rear, and (up front) the fork tubes are slip up in the Tripple trees.
In order to slide the tubes up, clearance is needed. {The risers give me that clearance}.

Ride safe, Ted

One thing I found with higher bars is, they make the seat more uncomfortable. Sit upright and you slide forward till you are riding the tank.

...that depends in what seat ur using. I have a 2016 seat on my 2010. No slide forward.

There was a thread that talked about the differences in the stock seats. The 2015 and newer were 'supposedly ' redesigned to be more supportive and eliminate the forward slide.

...that depends in what seat ur using. I have a 2016 seat on my 2010. No slide forward.

There was a thread that talked about the differences in the stock seats. The 2015 and newer were 'supposedly ' redesigned to be more supportive and eliminate the forward slide.
I have a 16, the stock seat did not eliminate forward slide on my bike. After four seats the Kawi touring seat helped and the RDL eliminated forward slide.

I believe ANY stock seat will have you sliding forward, IF you don’t support yourself with your arms.

I am 6"1' and rode the bike stock for a while. Risers did quite a bit to make the bike more comfortable. Finally I went with Heli Bars and I wish I would have done that long ago. Completely night and day from risers. I can do an 8-10 hour day without the usual aches and pains.

My old c-14 had 2" risers, I then added set back 1' brackets, still nothing felt great. One day I decided to see how Kawasaki intended the bike ergonomics. It felt more relaxed on my arms than the ad on's and kept my posture more upright which felt better on trips. The bikes steering felt much more connected and precise. I have been riding OEM ever sense.

I also use the 2" risers with 1" set back. I am 5'8" and I prefer to sit more upright in the saddle. these risers work for me. The only ones better would be the helipads, and that would likely mean longer cables/ hoses. Yes, the stock saddle on my 2011 now causes me to slide forward. Seat mods in motion for this season. Ever since I turned 40 (31 years ago) my back prefers to sit more upright. Changes are well worth the effort.