• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

RoadBike March/April 2012 Issue

Cap'n Bob

Well I was sent a copy of a page from the March/April 2012 issue of RoadBike Magazine. It looks as though page 83 has an article by Andrew MacDonald. The article is titled: Electronic Locks, Key Codes, And Stupid Crooks - Fob job. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what this article is going to be about.
    I have been described by some folks as always being biased in any thoughts or opinions I may have on the subject. Rather than dispute these claims by folks that I could say the same about. I decided to not comment on this article. Instead I am interested in what other folks may think. I really don't want this to be an "I have never had a problem and love it" vs. “I hate this system because".  So if possible, can we keep this threads discussion about the article and its discussion.
    I will also point out that some of the terminology may not be exactly what folks on here might refer to something as. Lets keep in mind that this is only an article and it isn't necessary to have to defend our bikes from the author (if you so feel the need).  :mad:  So anyway, for the folks who have access to this article. What do you think about it? Is it a fair assessment? 
  I myself:    :-X

Cap'n Bob said:
    Well I was sent a copy of a page from the March/April 2012 issue of RoadBike Magazine. It looks as though page 83 has an article by Andrew MacDonald. The article is titled: Electronic Locks, Key Codes, And Stupid Crooks - Fob job. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what this article is going to be about.
    I have been described by some folks as always being biased in any thoughts or opinions I may have on the subject. Rather than dispute these claims by folks that I could say the same about. I decided to not comment on this article. Instead I am interested in what other folks may think. I really don't want this to be an "I have never had a problem and love it" vs. “I hate this system because".  So if possible, can we keep this threads discussion about the article and its discussion.
    I will also point out that some of the terminology may not be exactly what folks on here might refer to something as. Lets keep in mind that this is only an article and it isn't necessary to have to defend our bikes from the author (if you so feel the need).  :mad:  So anyway, for the folks who have access to this article. What do you think about it? Is it a fair assessment? 
  as this is not a c14 specific article shouldn't it be moved as per your constant practice??? :sign0096:

oldnslo_MO said:
Cap'n Bob said:
  as this is not a c14 specific article shouldn't it be moved as per your constant practice??? :sign0096:

Actually, The article in question is absolutely a C14 specific article. That is why I posted it here. If and when you get a chance to read it, you will realize that. Then you will realize that another one of your statements directed towards me, is again incorrect.  :-[
And I do believe that your comment comes across as being pretty sarcastic. You just can't seem to let things go, can you?  ::)

I think RoadBike does post on line articles. But like most magazines, articles are probably only in the paper copy of the magazine when newly released. I know it's out in paper form, since that's where the copy I read came from. I would love to just scan and post the article. But I'm sure that it is considered copyrighted material without permission. Like other newer articles in magazines. Picking up a copy is probably the only option at this time. But the magazine is a worth while magazine (IMO).
    RoadBike is a pretty good magazine that deals with all motorcycles (like Cycleworld, Motorcyclist, Rider, etc.). Every motorcycle magazine has something that makes them a little different than the other magazines. But most of them have a lot of things in common. Roadbike is no different. And like a lot of motorcycle magazines, I enjoy reading it.
    RoadBike magazine has also been a supporter of Concours Owners Group. I was involved with the most recent COG national rally last year. So I can tell you that I do know they provided a door prize for the 2011 COG National Rally at Mt. Snow, Vermont. It may be worth picking up a copy and checking them out. If only to read this article (which happens to be about the Concours14). 

Odd... I was just speaking with the editor of the mag, and I got the impression RoadBike changed its format within the last few years from being all metric oriented to focusing on the cruiser market.

S Smith said:
Odd... I was just speaking with the editor of the mag, and I got the impression RoadBike changed its format within the last few years from being all metric oriented to focusing on the cruiser market.

Actually, IIRC, it's the opposite. Again, IIRC, it was a pretty much all cruiser magazine. A few years ago, they changed over to cover all types of motorcycles to broaden it's horizons. Or something to that effect. 

Cap'n Bob said:
oldnslo_MO said:
Cap'n Bob said:

Actually, The article in question is absolutely a C14 specific article. That is why I posted it here. If and when you get a chance to read it, you will realize that. Then you will realize that another one of your statements directed towards me, is again incorrect.  :-[
And I do believe that your comment comes across as being pretty sarcastic. You just can't seem to let things go, can you?  ::)
Bob,Bob ,Bob,you totally misunderstand my intentions.I am only trying to help,as  you are always so detail concious. If I am in error Mea Culpa.Maybe if you can leave your keyboard long enough to ride to the rally in Arkansas this june,I'd like to buy you a beer,or appletini,or non fat latte. I love you man.. O:)

Bob, thanks for pointing out the article.  I've never looked through that magazine, and now I know why.  This article is worth the 6.00 cover price of the mag.

The first few paragraphs tell the story of an unfortunate c14 owner who would have owed 2000.00 in repairs due to a fob/ecu issue up to and including dismounting the tires to obtain the tps codes.  Would have been 2k if it was not a warranty job. The Issue here is far worse than anything I've seen here or the other C14 forums.  The author them pats himself on the back for being the one who pointed out the FOB to be a POS years ago.

The next section advises lubricating locks with wd 40.

The final paragraph made the article complete.  The same author is telling us to remove our ecm/black box when we park our bikes for the ultimate in bike security.  Ultimate is my word, not his, but you get the point. 

This idea is basically what Kawasaki did with the fob.....For me, I woudl rather trust the fob doign what it does instead of me disconnecting the ecm when I needed "real" security.

All my 4-wheelers have the transponder type keyless entry, and I have gotten so used to it, that when I occasionally have to drive some other car that doesn't have it, I would forget to take the key out of my pocket when I get into it.

Just like the car market, more and more bikes will have this feature.  In a few years, nobody will even question it.  For now, new technology scares the uninitiated.

BTW, few bike thieves ever bother with the key system - whatever type it is.  Most bikes are stolen by getting lifted on a trailer or the back of a pickup.

MidlifeCrisis said:
All my 4-wheelers have the transponder type keyless entry, and I have gotten so used to it, that when I occasionally have to drive some other car that doesn't have it, I would forget to take the key out of my pocket when I get into it.

Just like the car market, more and more bikes will have this feature.  In a few years, nobody will even question it.  For now, new technology scares the uninitiated.

BTW, few bike thieves ever bother with the key system - whatever type it is.  Most bikes are stolen by getting lifted on a trailer or the back of a pickup.

I agree. All of my cars have a fob too. I really like 'em. I think the system on the Concours doesn't go far enough, and is too intrusive. The extra complexity of pushing on the stove knob before you can turn it to the proper position seems unnecessary. A solenoid should be able to release the knob for activation. In addition and like on the BMW K16000GTL - we should be able to release the seat and bags with the fob or a button on the dash. KiPass seems, somehow, incomplete. I think we all feel that. KiPass seems delicate, and doesn't instill trust.
Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

The system also saved me 10% on insurance due to it qualifying as a factory installed security system.  It started adding up when abs knocked off another 10%. 

MidlifeCrisis said:

Good thing the Connie weighs a 1000 lbs, just look for a group of 4 guys breathing heavy and sweating with there hands on their lowerback...  :)

In addition to my statement above, and now that I've read the editorial in my copy of Road Bike Magazine, I can only conclude IMHO, that key fobs and push button starters are new technology that need to earn our trust. I no more fear that the one's in my car's will leave me stranded than the one on my Connie. I feel that, although Kawasaki hasn't made a big deal of it, that the ignition system on the bike was improved on the 2010/2011. As evidence I have a small passive Very Short Range RF key and fob in place of the 2nd larger active fob. Simply placing the fob against the ignition switch is sufficient to activate the system. So as with all new technology there are growing pains, and early adopters (I'll call them pioneers) pay the price so follow on generations of people can reap the benefits of feedback and corrective action. Does KiPass answer a question that wasn't asked? Yes it does, but I'm glad [they] answered the question. I've grown use to keeping my fob in my pocket and the key in the ignition and either hopping in my car or throwing a leg over my bike and simply pushing the button and starting her up.
I simply trust that it'll work, and if my battery is dead I can replace it; but do I trust the system to work. After all what other choice do I have? I picked the Kawasaki Concours 14, and KiPass is part of the price of admission.  Will Kawasaki figure they messed up and go back to a regular key system? I doubt it. They will revise this system until it's as reliable as any push button starting system in any car from a Hyundai Sonata to an Infinity G37. Technology will march on. The industry picked Touring bikes, and Kawasaki has chosen (for better or worse) the Concours as it's ambassador of technology to  compete with the other techno bikes of the world.