• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Tour

Al

Big Wheel
Hi All, That was fun. I finally got to tour the Rockies on a motorcycle (2500 miles). It all started with my purchase of a '06 Concours and matured to valve adjustments, a rifle fairing, new tires, cruise control, GPS, commuting to work, & a trip to the Texas Hill Country last fall. Doing the "Three Sisters" (RR335, RR336, & RR337), with all those curves and elevation changes was well worth the trip. I especially liked highway 16 & FM 337 from Kerrville to Leakey, TX. Then in early June, my brother & I set off for Colorado (late trip report due to another vacation to the coast with my sailboat). Fort Worth to Clayton, NM was a very long ride (500 miles). Luckily it was a relatively cool cloudy morning. Cimarron to Eagles Nest was a nice ride with twisty roads. High winds, dust storms, and desert marked our trek to Tres Piedras and tall pines & aspens to Chama, NM. Then we had an easy ride to Pagosa Springs, Velocito Lake for lunch (almost needed a dirt bike for the trail around the lake), and Durango (first two customers of the year to take kayaks down the class 2 & 3 rapids of the Animas River). Back to riding with a 250 mile loop from Durango to Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway, & Telluride (alpine villages nestled between cliffs, canyon carving along the river, and a breathtaking mountain lake). Then back home via South Fork, Lake City, Gunnison, Westcliff, Walsenburg, & Amarillo. Gotta love those cool mountain passes like Wolf Creek, Monarch, San Isabel, & Cuchara and my Motoport kevlar mesh outfit & wet base layer for crossing the West Texas heat. The concours is truly the best bang for the buck in sport touring. For my next long trip, I will probably lower the foot pegs & raise the handle bars. Al

Hi Bob, Can't wait until it gets cooler so I can take another trip. How did you get your picture to show up on your response ? Al

There is a way to insert a signature. I think it is at the top of the forum under preferences. It will take HTML or just text. I hardly remember how I did it but I know there are a few threads here about doing it if you care to search. PS: The picture has to be hosted on the web somewhere. You use something like {img}linktopic{/img} but the {}s need to be [] s Photos[/url]