• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

RTE - June 8th, 2013 Alto, GA - Mickey Pigg's BBQ (great desserts too)

rje_cne

Hello, I am setting up this for the second Saturday in June.  The BBQ at Mickey Pigg's is very good and the desserts are great, you get to see them as you come in.  It is located just off GA-365 in the Anderson Village Shopping Center, address is 256 Anderson Circle, Alto, GA 30510.  Website is http://mickeypiggsbbq.com/index.htm.  Please let me know if you are interested in attending so I can coordinate seating.  There are a number of great roads nearby.  Come on out and see the injured and currently prohibited from getting a replacement bike.

Bump, it should be a nice ride, with plenty of post meal options, the mountains are calling.  :welcome:
:104:

Tack on 2 more. I'll be in the Deals Gap area that weekend and this is just a short day trip.

What time of day are you planning?  Early afternoon for lunch I assume?

So, I might actually make this event. Might do a quick loop afterwards. Forecast is calling for 30% chance of rain.

Kurt

Calling out the NC and SC riders!!!!!!!!

I'm going to be heading out from the Charlotte area about 8 Saturday morning.  Planning to spend Saturday night in Helen or maybe even Robbinsville.

Who's up to the challenge???  :nananana:

Ok, so....looking for a place to stay.  Need a motel that's clean, but doesn't need to be fancy.  Prices in Helen are rediculous.  Can anyone suggest some places to stay in the area?  I'm a connie owner, so price IS a factor!  :)

Call the White County chamber of commerce  and tell them Ron from the SBDC in Gainesville sent you and ask them for a recommendation. Also you could ask at the Blairsville-Union County chamber  and Dahlonega-Lumpkin chambers with the same referral. I work with those folks fairly often. Clean AND cheap is a tall order in that area. Do you camp? If you want cheap, look up a Forest Service campground like Lake Winfield Scott in Suches. Google it, there's an online reservation/info site I  think. It's primitive, but cheap.
If you like cabins, you might try Paradise Cabins in Blairsville. Check out the reviews online at Yahoo Travel and Yelp HTH.
Ron

thanks Ron.  Champaign taste and beer budget for the S.O.  Looking perhaps in Clayton since Helen seems so expensive on weekends.  Staying a bit north would be ok. We can visit Helen and look a bit and then ride on up the road.  Planning perhaps to come back through Highlands and checkout some of the falls in the area along the way.  I tried to convince her to ride the dragon along the way but she didn't bite.  Lol

Take your walking shoes to Helen. While in Highlands, check out the Mountain Fresh Grocery deli for lunch. Great burgers. I think Bridal Veil falls is in the area. If I remember correctly you can drive behind it. Neat.

Thanks guys.  That place in Blairsville is the type of local places I like to find.  I'm considering that one along with one in Clayton.  The Old Clayton Inn.  Options are always good.  :)

Now....about those other NC and SC riders.....  :nananana:

I plan on coming for the BBQ.  Maybe some riding around up there too.  I'll get registered on the calendar for proper head count.

Sport Rider said:
Thanks guys.  That place in Blairsville is the type of local places I like to find.  I'm considering that one along with one in Clayton.  The Old Clayton Inn.  Options are always good.  :)

Now....about those other NC and SC riders.....  :nananana:

There's a Super8 motel in Dahlonega that my buddies visiting from Florida like to use.  Prices in the $45/night range.  nothing fancy but you are seconds away from wonderful twisties.  Motel is easy to find with Google Maps.

Have fun!!

Way to go, Robert! Event is shaping up to be a good one. You da man!  :great:

TWELVE people (and COGgers, to boot!) actually went online and <GASP> registered for this event!!!!

<sarcasm>sorry for registering.  I guess I should have paid more attention to the unwritten rules.  </sarcasm>

:rotflmao: :beerchug: :great:

Enjoyed the lunch and company. Robert, thank you for organizing the event. Hope everyone had a good day riding. I went up 197 to 356 to Helen, where I purchased a couple loaves of rye bread and a Linzer torte at Hofers. This was for my mom and dad as they aren't able to get up to Helen and visit Hofers. Just a little history, Hofers use to be located on Roswell rd about a mile out side the perimeter, my folks use to go there every couple weeks and load up on fresh bread and baked goods. Left Helen on 75A to 348 (were I believe I passed Sportrider and Mrs), to 180 to 129 back to Cleveland, where I beat feet back to McDonough to make it back by 520p for dinner at my folks.

Enjoyed the day, wish I knew that others were going camping, I would have tagged along, but I had already committed to dinner at my folks and didn't want to blow them off.

Kurt

Thanks for putting up the event. The food was great and the company was awesome. I had a great time. :great:

Good job, well done Robert. Nice to see some people I know and meet some new ones!
Ron

Had a great day! Got to see some new faces, marvel again at the older ones, and get in some great riding! The food at Mickey Piggs's was excellent and came with lots of it! Look for another RTE event to be posted soon involving Fort Mountain!  ;)

After the picture taking was over, Jenn Simons and I made it to Warwoman Road, and then on to Highlands via Hwy 106 and 28. I got my picture of the Sky Valley Resort sign for the Grand Tour of Georgia, and then hightailed it home (but not before I had a little more fun on the roads outside of Ellijay!!).

Looking forward to doing it again. Thanks again to those that set this up and those that participated!

I sure hope I waved to you Kurt!  :)

It was great to meet some of the Georgia crowd.  We looped around 129 and 348 into Helen and after wandering aimlessly through town, headed over to Clayton for the night.  Nice stay at the Old Clayton Inn and found a bar/restaurant down the street with some live music.  Sunday headed to Highlands and some waterfall viewing.  then stopped in Brevard for more BBQ....it's a weakness.  Then up 278 and rode the parkway into Asheville.  That's where the rain started HEAVY.  Rained the rest of the way home, but it was still a good trip!

Great to meet everyone!!!

I couldn't stand the thought of going back home just yet. After that fantastic 'Q, I cleared it with home and took off further into the mountains and camped at Kickstand Lodge in Steccoah, my favorite campground. Missed the rain coming home Sunday too, it's nice to win sometimes.

Made for a good afternoon destination for dad and I. We showed up a bit late, were kinda quiet, and skidattled a bit quickly. Enjoyed the time there though. We ended up with a little over 350 miles, I believe, for the day. Got to cover most all the good roads. Stayed at the Tuskeegee motel just east of Fontana village for the weekend and ran 28 down to Warwoman, stopped by Bridal veil falls and Tallulah gorge on the way down. From the bbq joint, meandered up to 348, where we ran almost smack dab into the rear end of a state trooper (got slowed down and he didn't bother us). Up 180 to 75 and back into NC. 64 east to Wayah road where we did the gravel road up to Wayah bald. Then it was off to Robbinsville and a loop around 129, 28, then 143, back into Robbinsville for dinner. Finally retired to the motel after 12 hours of riding.

Looking forward to the next event!

Wow Dustin, sounds like you and your Dad had a good ride on top of getting to a good RTE.

And that is what this bike and club is all about.

:motonoises: :motonoises:

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

Hey,  that guy on the right smokes good cigars as I remember.
How you doing Verg?     
Nice photo  Dustin    Al

Ranger Jim said:
Um, Tom? Weren't you there?  ???  Your smart phone has a camera you know. :)

Yep, the phone IS smart, but there's this thing called 'Operator Omission'  :-\