• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

running power cable to zumo

orangewingnut

ok  just istalled a techmount in the center console area for my zumo 550. is there a way to route the power cable to the battery without removing the bodywork. Im ordering fred's dvd's but would like get it hooked up straight away.

thanks,

Bill
2011 Concours14 abs

You can tie into the accessory leads under the top / left fairing cover (the black panel just under the left handlebar). There are two wires that end in bullet connectors inside the black boot; one is female and is hot (+) and the other is male and is ground (-). These leads are switched on and off through the ignition switch so they will be powered only when the ignition switch is 'ON'.

If you want to power the Zumo with a full time 'ON' circuit, you will have to wire back to either the battery or one of the fuse panels under the saddle.

Brian

orangewingnut said:
ok  just istalled a techmount in the center console area for my zumo 550. is there a way to route the power cable to the battery without removing the bodywork. Im ordering fred's dvd's but would like get it hooked up straight away.

thanks,

Bill
2011 Concours14 abs

I wired my 665 up the way BDF describes it and the wires were easy to reach and plug in to the reciprocal connectors soldered onto the leads of the Zumo power cord, which has a built in fuse.  The Zumos have a built-in battery so you can always keep the navigation going even with the bikes key off (like while fueling up or entering a destination).  This also prevents unintended battery drain if it were to be hard-wired rather than switched.  This way there are no farings to remove or difficult wire routing to do to the battery.  I just coiled up any extra power wire and cable-tied it out of the way of the forks.

do you need to remove the black panel to get to the leads? i can see a black boot, but after trying to pull back on the rubber boot, i couldn't find the connectors. Anyone have a picture??

thanks,

Bill
2011 abs

also, i have a fused power cable for the zumo and would have to attach matching bullet connectors to the end. what size are the bullet connectors and would a place like radio shack carry them?

thanks again,

bill
2011 abs

The leads with the bullet connectors are inside the black boot but you have to push the boot back fairly far to get to them. You might be able to get to those leads without removing the fairing panel but I doubt it- I have to remove mine to have enough room to work on the connections underneath.

The connectors you need are standard bullet connectors, 5/32" or 4mm diameter. You will need one male and one female. You will also need a crimping tool to crimp the bullet connectors onto the end of the Zumo cable. The bullet connectors are usually available at any of the larger auto supply stores such as Auto Zone, Parts Plus, etc.

Brian

orangewingnut said:
do you need to remove the black panel to get to the leads? i can see a black boot, but after trying to pull back on the rubber boot, i couldn't find the connectors. Anyone have a picture??

thanks,

Bill
2011 abs

orangewingnut said:
also, i have a fused power cable for the zumo and would have to attach matching bullet connectors to the end. what size are the bullet connectors and would a place like radio shack carry them?

thanks again,

bill
2011 abs

BDF said:
The leads with the bullet connectors are inside the black boot but you have to push the boot back fairly far to get to them. You might be able to get to those leads without removing the fairing panel but I doubt it- I have to remove mine to have enough room to work on the connections underneath.

The connectors you need are standard bullet connectors, 5/32" or 4mm diameter. You will need one male and one female. You will also need a crimping tool to crimp the bullet connectors onto the end of the Zumo cable. The bullet connectors are usually available at any of the larger auto supply stores such as Auto Zone, Parts Plus, etc.

Brian

The C14 accessory wire with the female end is the positive wire (+12V). The wire with the male connector is your ground or negative wire!

Mission accomplished. thanks for all the suggestions and help. i hooked up the zumo's power cord to the accessory leads in the boot under the front glove box. i can see why you have to remove the panel to get to the leads as they are short and really tucked up in there. I cut the cable to a usable length, soldered the wire and crimped the bullet connectors on the ends. Put everything together and all is right with the world.

Bill
2011 abs

Went the same route. after a couple weeks I got annoyed with the unit re-starting everytime I shut the bike off to get gas etc. Hard wired now, no issues with killing the battery either. I tend to not leave it on the mount when I'm done riding for the day.
If the audio gets scatchy through the headphone jack rub a pencil eraser on the bottom connection pad and the the pins in the mount.

I also wired mine so it is powered all the time. I wanted it to charge even when the bike is off- once the GPS is charged there is so little current draw that it won't have any impact on draining the bike's battery in my opinion.

Brian

Tundra Tom said:
Went the same route. after a couple weeks I got annoyed with the unit re-starting everytime I shut the bike off to get gas etc. Hard wired now, no issues with killing the battery either. I tend to not leave it on the mount when I'm done riding for the day.
If the audio gets scatchy through the headphone jack rub a pencil eraser on the bottom connection pad and the the pins in the mount.

Tundra Tom said:

Me too! It's much easier having it wired hot all the time. It got to be a pain to have to press the run on battery, every time you turned the key off!

I pulled the tank and ran the wires under neatly back to the battery,  I too wanted my Zumo on the constant 12v.  It really isn't that difficult