• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Russell Day Long (ugliness)

rawman

Bicycle
I contacted Russell via email last week regarding all the comments (on both forums) regarding the looks of the Day Long seat.
I politely told them of comments posted about how great a seat this was, but how "ugly" it was.  With their talented design department, they certainly could make a seat that looks more sporty.
If they ever "fix" the looks of that seat, I would probably pull the trigger and purchase.
I have not heard back from them......

IMO, the comfort truly comes from distributing and supporting your bodies weight. This is where the wings of ugliness comes in. So it probably comes down to comfortable with the ugly wings, or less comfort. So I'm not surprised that they probably won't change the design! Of course this is just my thinking!
I probably will never get a Russell. They tend to raise you up. And that's not good for short leg people!  :))

If you actually ride much looks will not be a concern, because you'll always be sitting on it & have smile on your face.  :) Because it's so comfortable!
Cliff

Just Cliff said:
If you actually ride much looks will not be a concern, because you'll always be sitting on it & have smile on your face.  :) Because it's so comfortable!

That's debatable.

I've ridden on Russell, Sargent, Corbin, not to mention a dozen or so  stock saddles. The most comfortable, for me, was/is the custom Corbin on my '95. Any off the shelf saddle will not be as comfortable as one built for you. I'm lucky enough to be able to schedule a ride in appointment at Corbin.

Unlike most of the saddles being sold today, my Corbin has the rider portion built longer, wider and flatter. No wings, no buckets - a flat saddle that I can move around on. The current crop of "designer" saddles lock you in one place, and in some cases like the Russell, actually prevent you from moving, even to get your leg down at a stop. If you can't move, you can't control your bike efficiently, and eventually you will wind up with hot spots because you can't shift your position. IMO, bucket seats belong in cars, not on bikes.

+1
Went on the '01 replacing the '98 Conk.

Just Cliff said:
Cliff

The point I was trying to make, is that Rawman seems to be only concerned about looks not function. Ride the seat you like & don't worry about it's looks. Comfort far outweighs looks! Yes I had a Corbin, the long flat seat is what I didn't like & yes I did buy partly because it looked soooooo good.

If everything went on looks there would be no Cee Bailey, big UGLY oversized windshields, tacky add on wind deflectors. No PR3's because treads ugly & so on.  :))

Cliff

Oddly, there are better looking and MORE functional windshields than Cee Baily... the Cal Sci is better, IMO.

Everyone has different values.  Some value looks AND function and just wish that we could have both.  I'm really happy with my very comfortable and very good looking Baldwin, but it's still not quite what I imagine the Russell is for LOOONNNNGGGGG distances. 

I don't think it is "that" ugly

Yesterday coming home the first leg of my ride without getting off the bike was 204 miles, the second was 130 and no butt pain at all, now my knees, that is another thing  ;D