• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Saddle bag latches

dhorine8916

My latch mechanism on my saddle bag latch broke and won't operate. I took it apart and their are plastic slides that operate the latch. Anyone have any suggestions for repair or know where to find a complete latch mechanism or complete saddlebag?

There was a thread a few months back about taking the locking mechanism out and cleaning it. They get very gunky(technical term) stick yo the point of us using too.much force to work the latches.

I thought partszilla listed them. Check fleabay and the forums for them..

I had the same problem with mine, it was completely full of dirt & grit. I disassembled cleaned & lubed it up then all was good. Then I proceeded to do the other side just because. That was back in 2020 (I think), I'll see if I can find where I wrote something up.

They have both worked well since.

Attachments

• 20200914_092955_resized.jpg
    20200914_092955_resized.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200914_094304_resized.jpg
    20200914_094304_resized.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 168
There was a thread a few months back about taking the locking mechanism out and cleaning it. They get very gunky(technical term) stick yo the point of us using too.much force to work the latches.

I thought partszilla listed them. Check fleabay and the forums for them..
Thank you I wish that was the problem. Unfortunately The plastic pieces broke apart and completely disintegrated. I was hoping to find a Salvage bag or the complete assembly

I had the same problem with mine, it was completely full of dirt & grit. I disassembled cleaned & lubed it up then all was good. Then I proceeded to do the other side just because. That was back in 2020 (I think), I'll see if I can find where I wrote something up.

Please do.Mine are working but not as smooth as I would like. Thank you.

dhorine, any chance you used WD-40 to keep the latches lubed up over the years? Great stuff, but it can soften (breakdown) some plastics over time.

On mine the top plastic handle separated when I was on the road somewhere. But the bottom piece was sill there. I found the top part on aliexpress.IMG_20220118_174523688.jpg

Thank you I'll look, yes that is one of the pieces that broke along with the plastic slide that attaches the slide that operates the latches

That would make a good write up for the Concourier. (hint-hint-hint)
All I know how to do is take the assembly out! I removed one of mine and swished in hot water and Dawn. I then blew it out and lubed what I could reach with carnauba car wax. It's better but seems to have a little catch when you first lift the handle. Maybe that's as good as it gets

All I know how to do is take the assembly out! I removed one of mine and swished in hot water and Dawn. I then blew it out and lubed what I could reach with carnauba car wax. It's better but seems to have a little catch when you first lift the handle. Maybe that's as good as it gets

A pile of photos and two more sentences is all you need. Smile Ah-Huh.gif

Extremely hot water and dawn. I did mine 3 times rinsing with hot water and manipulating the mechanism to work the grease fighting dawn thru it..

Since my top part was already missing all I had to do was put it back together. But the top piece is supposed to glued on to the bottom part of the latch. I did not find any information on the installation either. The best I could do was to look at the other saddle bag latch.

How did you clean it? Pressure washer? Parts washer with solvent? Also, what did you lube it up with?

I soaked the lock assembly in very hot water with dawn detergent, move the water around and work the mechanism. Rinse and repeat, very hot water...did it 3 times, then rinsed well and blew dry with air compressor....

Reminds me to open up the cases and retighten the screws holding the whole thing in place. Found 2 of them on the floor of the case last summer.

Reminds me to open up the cases and retighten the screws holding the whole thing in place. Found 2 of them on the floor of the case last summer.
Yup - been retightening mine for a couple years now. I was going to loc-tite them, uncertain the material they’re bedding into so I skipped that idea and just tighten couple times a year.

I did lose one bolt, need to make trip to hardware store - OEM wants a few bucks for a single bolt…

Yup - been retightening mine for a couple years now. I was going to loc-tite them, uncertain the material they’re bedding into so I skipped that idea and just tighten couple times a year.

I did lose one bolt, need to make trip to hardware store - OEM wants a few bucks for a single bolt…
Could try a little wax. Works on my bow .

My latch mechanism on my saddle bag latch broke and won't operate. I took it apart and their are plastic slides that operate the latch. Anyone have any suggestions for repair or know where to find a complete latch mechanism or complete saddlebag?
I'm not sure which part broke or what year you have. My latch broke and it was covered under a recall.