• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Saddle bags/ Panniers

mudumbas220

Hi guys, this afternoon someome stole right side of my saddle bag case/ pannier. Can i please get advise where i could get a new one or a second hand one from. Thank you. P.S. is it dangerous driving around with just one of thr saddlebags. The bike is 2012 and the color is Burgundy.

Last edited:
eBay. Post a want to buy ad in our classified section. Greens motorcycle salvage in Kentucky is a fair size place.

Stole it or came off while traveling.. it does happen from time to time. Thats why some of us have pinned them.

There was a recall for the lock that latches to the bike itself.. old was red new one is orange...i think, for the 2008 and 2009 years...

Stole it or came off while traveling.. it does happen from time to time. Thats why some of us have pinned them.

There was a recall for the lock that latches to the bike itself.. old was red new one is orange...i think, for the 2008 and 2009 years...
It was there till i parked it and got off. When i cane back to the bike it was gone. So I am guessing it was taken. My bike is a 2012 model..

Hi guys, this afternoon someome stole right side of my saddle bag case/ pannier. Can i please get advise where i could get a new one or a second hand one from. Thank you. P.S. is it dangerous driving around with just one of thr saddlebags. The bike is 2012 and the color is Burgundy.
I wouldn’t be concerned about any danger with one saddlebag only - we’re not running 200 mph….

I wonder if pinning them is time consuming enough to piss a would be thief off and act as a theft deterrent. May be enough to persuade me to pin mine.

It would be if you had a locking pin or padlock.
This is a good point. I have not pinned our bags, mid-50K miles and never had a jettison. Our bags take a huge beating too - PA roads are terrible and often we are loaded down.

Bud do you pin and what is your ‘pin’?

Our bags are on/off the machine ALL the time. Of course triple check every time we pop them back on.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Jerry Holland had them pinned when my son traded for it. I bought it from my son. Here's a pic of the pins that he used.

Attachments

• IMG_20220906_045420_450.jpg
    IMG_20220906_045420_450.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 61
Mine are pins a spring balls in them to keep them from coming out.
I drilled the holes with a drill that is just 1 size bigger than the pin diameter.
Being an exact fit makes it more of a PITA to get them on, but well worth the effort.

Ride safe, Ted

Checking constantly on all platforms. The color is not matching and when it does the Owner does not want to part the bike.
Don’t be afraid of color. The paints offered at Color Rite are an excellent match, and I have candy diamond red. Take your time following instructions and you can get pretty close to an OEM finish. You might need 2-3 spray cans of color for something as big as the pannier.

4555 is right on. The painted side of the bags can be seperated .by drilling out the rivets joining them together. Much easier to manipulate and handle then for prep and painting. Dont forget a couple cans of clear. Let it dry for a couple days. B4 joining the halfs back together.

I had a deeply scratched “skull cap” on my right mirror. Popped it off the mount, prepped it, and painted with 2 coats of clear. Cut and buffed on day 4. Looks awesome compared to the OEM right mirror… even prior to final wax and polish. Need to wait a few days for that.

Attachments

• 86DFA239-BE7C-49ED-BD64-5B5DA49B595D.jpeg
    86DFA239-BE7C-49ED-BD64-5B5DA49B595D.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 8FD0E0BD-B9FF-47C8-A32C-C0E6F5CC5EFD.jpeg
    8FD0E0BD-B9FF-47C8-A32C-C0E6F5CC5EFD.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 88
Jerry Holland had them pinned when my son traded for it. I bought it from my son. Here's a pic of the pins that he used.
Could you post a pic of where you have it penned? New to this idea and not sure how you're doing it. Thank you in advance. I just picked up my 2nd Connie. Wished I'd have never sold the model I had.

Take care when placing the hole. Its possible to drill thru the plastic only which doesn't work nearly as well as going thru the metal underneath. You can remove the plastic cap to get a good idea where the metal starts and stops.

I did read a couple months ago that someone lost a bag and it was pinned. So they most likely drilled the hole in the wrong place. It would be hard to miss but it's possible.

Attachments

• 20221023_115238[5174].jpg
    20221023_115238[5174].jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
If you you don’t want to drill, you can use a couple of those long(er) heavy rubberized wire wraps at someplace like Harbor Freight or a building supply and use one to tie each bag handle down to the luggage rack arm. Sounds ugly but it’s not really noticeable if you use the black ones. I drilled but did this too. I rarely remove the bags and this has been in place for 6-7 years. I don’t even notice them anymore.

I wound up pinning mine from inside the saddle bag. Easy enough to un pin and pull the bags off but it would make it difficult to walk away with them.

If you don't like the pinning idea, you can easily tighten up the latch assy with a piece of vercro and furniture pad felt which will prevent the bag from being able to lift off and release. This method is cleaner, and doesn't require you do anything to remove or replace the saddlebag. It comes off and goes on like normal, but now the latch to the bike is more secure when it's locked. The pad prevents the bag from bouncing UP so it can no longer bounce off the rear upper mount. I have around 40K miles on mine over all kinds of roads with zero problems. Takes 20 seconds to install and you don't have to drill holes in your bike and remove and reinstall pins everytime you pull the bags off. I believe I put an article about it in Chalkdust a while back.

Though I will admit, pinning the bag is probably a more "positive" fix.

Last edited:
Forgive me for the crude explanation. I removed one of the screws facing the saddle bag that holds the mount on that people drill through for pinning. I placed a "chunk" from a china marker in its place and placed the saddle bag in it's normal place. The china marker "chunk" made a mark where the bag seated between the v guides and I drilled out a hole there.

Then I found a knurled knob/bolt of the same size and pitch, added a faucet gasket that was cone shaped, and trimmed it down so it screws in with a few twists from inside the bag.

The result is a pinned bag that is not easily dislodged by a bump or pulled by a less than reputable person while still being fairly easily removed.

If you you don’t want to drill, you can use a couple of those long(er) heavy rubberized wire wraps at someplace like Harbor Freight or a building supply and use one to tie each bag handle down to the luggage rack arm. Sounds ugly but it’s not really noticeable if you use the black ones. I drilled but did this too. I rarely remove the bags and this has been in place for 6-7 years. I don’t even notice them anymore.
Hi Ron203, could you please share a picture of these wraps you mentioned. I would really appreciate it. I got the bags from a member here. But I do not want to risk loosing them this time.

Hi Ron203, cou you please share a picture of these wraps you mentioned. I would really appreciate it. I got the bags from a member here. But I do not want to risk loosing them this time.
Mu, there's a member selling the wire stays . The thread is regarding selling parts from his 2008 and 2017...they are the 2 squiggles wires in the center of the parts. They work by hooking under the handle and rear passenger handgrips...

Attachments

• 2_2.jpg
    2_2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 61
Hi Ron203, could you please share a picture of these wraps you mentioned. I would really appreciate it. I got the bags from a member here. But I do not want to risk loosing them this time.

Sure, I’ll try to get you one later today. The solution posted by Konehead is a more professional looking set up.

Sorry I didn’t get to this yesterday, I got distracted with blowing out my camper waterlines. It suddenly got cold here.

These came from Harbor Freight and are about 12” long (I think.) Building supply stores and Amazon, etc. also have them.

I use one for each bag handle. Slip it under the handle and wrap it around the luggage rack arm. The black is hardly noticeable, especially if you tuck the ends down beside the seat. Placed just right , these will allow the handle to seat correctly.

I was introduced to this by member Phil Rockwell when all the bags were being lost. Ma Kaw subsequently redesigned these latches around then, better safe than sorry. I’ve had more than one vehicle assembled by the factory with previous generation parts.

These have now been in place about 7 years. I only take the bags off occasionally. The bags are also pinned (I like redundancy.😉) The last picture is of one of the ties. HTH

Ron

Attachments

• 624D5C94-5734-46A5-8107-0E46291A836C.jpeg
    624D5C94-5734-46A5-8107-0E46291A836C.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 017AFCE4-C702-4822-8B6D-82D88F05AEA5.jpeg
    017AFCE4-C702-4822-8B6D-82D88F05AEA5.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 95482F26-55A6-4238-87BE-8E7265C6F4FA.jpeg
    95482F26-55A6-4238-87BE-8E7265C6F4FA.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 76
Sorry I didn’t get to this yesterday, I got distracted with blowing out my camper waterlines. It suddenly got cold here.

These came from Harbor Freight and are about 12” long (I think.) Building supply stores and Amazon, etc. also have them.

I use one for each bag handle. Slip it under the handle and wrap it around the luggage rack arm. The black is hardly noticeable, especially if you tuck the ends down beside the seat. Placed just right , these will allow the handle to seat correctly.

I was introduced to this by member Phil Rockwell when all the bags were being lost. Ma Kaw subsequently redesigned these latches around then, better safe than sorry. I’ve had more than one vehicle assembled by the factory with previous generation parts.

These have now been in place about 7 years. I only take the bags off occasionally. The bags are also pinned (I like redundancy.😉) The last picture is of one of the ties. HTH

Ron
Thank you Ron found one on ebay so bought it.